Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bare feet

Posted by Lyndel on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006297)

Is it only me or does anyone else with P.F. feel better when they get home to take off their shoes and goe barefoot. I'm not joking! I read about how bad it is for everyone when they are without their shoes but my feet feel better without shoes! What's up with this? Is it only me????

Confused as usual....

Lyndel

Re: Bare feet

Michelle on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006302)

I agree with you. I don't know what it is, but I feel so much better w/out shoes on. I can get up in the morning with lots of pain and then walk around bare foot and with in an hour, it trends to go away. Even after working and my feet are killing me, I just take off my shoes and they feel better. Maybe we are the exception to the rule!!!

sheri on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006307)

it does feel great to take off my shoes and stretch my feet, BUT, I cannot walk barefoot...it is the worst. my feet are in extreme pain right now, worse than usual and my birks don't even help. I'm wearing plain flat sandals today...maybe the change for a day will help.

Dayna on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006311)

Agree with you there, my feet get so swollen I can see the indentation of the shoe anywhere there is one (stitching lines, tongue, etc.) and it does feel good to take them off. Of course, that's the worst thing to do for me, as even laying down without the push of the orthotic against my arch I am in pain.

Don't know why a few people feel so much better walking without shoes, for most of us the mere thought of it brings on pain.

Peggy on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006315)

Bare feet is not good for me. I even put on my tennis shoes w/orthotics to go to the bathroom at night. I was told by one doctor to 'walk through the pain' continue working out the hour on the treadmill and not to worry about going bare feet. Well, I listened to him and it made my feet worse. It nearly ripped out my heel!! I ended up with terrible inflamation and having to ice my feet three or four times a day to just torerate the pain. The sport fitness doctor said NO WEIGHT BEARING exercise until the pain etc. has subsided and that means walking or treadmill and it worked for me. Now I am just starting to do 20 minutes at a very slow pace and then after each session to ice my feet (keeps away the pain). It is terrible frustrating, because different times, different treatments work.

Bea on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006320)

I too feel much better barefoot, however the main reason not to go barefoot is that we need the support & also our feet are so tender we cannot risk accidently injurying them, so it is much better to have them protected by shoes.

Chris on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006321)

Count me in! Walking in bare feet is not real smart for me!

barbara2 on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006326)

No bare feet for me! It feels good to come home after work and take my shoes off, but only while sitting. One of the biggest things for me getting past the pain is ALWAYS shoes. I even have plastic support sandals for the shower and middle of the night excursions.

Gail on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006339)

I have always prefered going barefoot, always taking off my shoes at the first opportunity - and I am old enough to have outgrown it. I have recently had a recurence of PF which brought me to this web site a couple of days ago!! Here I read that shoes (Birkenstocks) should be worn whenever walking - being a longterm owner of Birkenstocks and somewhat despirate to relieve the pain I took that advice and put on Birkenstocks before stepping out of bed. In two days there has been a noticable decrease in that rush of first-morning pain; using a 1-10 scale I was at a '8' in my left heel when first getting up in the morning (barefoot), today I am at a '5' with that simple change. Am now working on other suggestions - wish me luck.

Michelle on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006302)

I agree with you. I don't know what it is, but I feel so much better w/out shoes on. I can get up in the morning with lots of pain and then walk around bare foot and with in an hour, it trends to go away. Even after working and my feet are killing me, I just take off my shoes and they feel better. Maybe we are the exception to the rule!!!

sheri on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006307)

it does feel great to take off my shoes and stretch my feet, BUT, I cannot walk barefoot...it is the worst. my feet are in extreme pain right now, worse than usual and my birks don't even help. I'm wearing plain flat sandals today...maybe the change for a day will help.

Dayna on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006311)

Agree with you there, my feet get so swollen I can see the indentation of the shoe anywhere there is one (stitching lines, tongue, etc.) and it does feel good to take them off. Of course, that's the worst thing to do for me, as even laying down without the push of the orthotic against my arch I am in pain.

Don't know why a few people feel so much better walking without shoes, for most of us the mere thought of it brings on pain.

Peggy on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006315)

Bare feet is not good for me. I even put on my tennis shoes w/orthotics to go to the bathroom at night. I was told by one doctor to 'walk through the pain' continue working out the hour on the treadmill and not to worry about going bare feet. Well, I listened to him and it made my feet worse. It nearly ripped out my heel!! I ended up with terrible inflamation and having to ice my feet three or four times a day to just torerate the pain. The sport fitness doctor said NO WEIGHT BEARING exercise until the pain etc. has subsided and that means walking or treadmill and it worked for me. Now I am just starting to do 20 minutes at a very slow pace and then after each session to ice my feet (keeps away the pain). It is terrible frustrating, because different times, different treatments work.

Bea on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006320)

I too feel much better barefoot, however the main reason not to go barefoot is that we need the support & also our feet are so tender we cannot risk accidently injurying them, so it is much better to have them protected by shoes.

Chris on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006321)

Count me in! Walking in bare feet is not real smart for me!

barbara2 on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006326)

No bare feet for me! It feels good to come home after work and take my shoes off, but only while sitting. One of the biggest things for me getting past the pain is ALWAYS shoes. I even have plastic support sandals for the shower and middle of the night excursions.

Gail on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006339)

I have always prefered going barefoot, always taking off my shoes at the first opportunity - and I am old enough to have outgrown it. I have recently had a recurence of PF which brought me to this web site a couple of days ago!! Here I read that shoes (Birkenstocks) should be worn whenever walking - being a longterm owner of Birkenstocks and somewhat despirate to relieve the pain I took that advice and put on Birkenstocks before stepping out of bed. In two days there has been a noticable decrease in that rush of first-morning pain; using a 1-10 scale I was at a '8' in my left heel when first getting up in the morning (barefoot), today I am at a '5' with that simple change. Am now working on other suggestions - wish me luck.