Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery success

Posted by Marilyn on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006327)

I visited this sight prior to surgery and was distressed by all of the bad news I read. I feel compelled to write some good news for a change. I know everyone is different, but after unsuccessful treatment for plantar faciitis (including shots, exercises, orthodics, icing, and physical therapy) I finally had the surgery. It was very successful. I am two months out of surgery and am doing quite well. I am not 100% yet, but I am so much better than I was prior to surgery. I think it also should be noted that I spend my entire day on my feet as a first grade teacher. I was out for three weeks but went back to school with little trouble the fourth week.
I had also read a great deal against podiatrists... however, with the endorsement of my own internal medicine doctor and another doctor friend, I went ahead with the podiatrist doing the procedure. I have heard my own share of horror stories about orthopedic people doing work on the feet as well. Podiatry has changed a great deal through time. With the interest in sports medicine these days I think the best advice is to go with your gut feeling about the individual doctor. I liked my podiatrist, felt he was conservative and professional. My gut feeling has not failed me to this point.
Again, I state, that I know everyone is different, but I hope my good news is a comfort to someone out there who is looking for some hope.

Re: surgery success

Angie on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006329)

I'm happy for you that you have had success with surgery. I go see a podiatrist for the first time on Thursday morning and have almost been feeling like 'what's the use?' because none of the things I've tried have worked yet.

So, thanks for the hope! It is always good to hear when something works for someone!

Debbie on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006350)

It is good to hear from someone with a success story. I am finally having the surgery myself in about 8 weeks. The Dr will do right foot first and left aout 3 months later if all goes well. I have tried everything!! Even quit my job to get a desk job. The sad thing is my feet hurt worse than ever and I don't like the new job! Double ouch!! The day after the surgery was decided on I was talking to someone I have known at work for a long time. I hadn't known this but she had the surgery by the Dr who I am seeing 3 years ago and has been doing great ever since. I needed the encouragement. I will have the 'old fashioned' surgery not the EPF release. I have heard so many people say to stay off the foot after surgery but my Dr said that I need to be on the foot so that it will heal in a stretched out position rather than contracted and heal in the same position it was in before. I wonder if the people without success post op had this happen to them I realize everyone has a different story but I don't want to have to do this again because it didn't 'take ' the first time?? Am looking forward to positive changes in my life in the coming year!!! Anyways,Thanks for your post.

Angie on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006329)

I'm happy for you that you have had success with surgery. I go see a podiatrist for the first time on Thursday morning and have almost been feeling like 'what's the use?' because none of the things I've tried have worked yet.

So, thanks for the hope! It is always good to hear when something works for someone!

Debbie on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006350)

It is good to hear from someone with a success story. I am finally having the surgery myself in about 8 weeks. The Dr will do right foot first and left aout 3 months later if all goes well. I have tried everything!! Even quit my job to get a desk job. The sad thing is my feet hurt worse than ever and I don't like the new job! Double ouch!! The day after the surgery was decided on I was talking to someone I have known at work for a long time. I hadn't known this but she had the surgery by the Dr who I am seeing 3 years ago and has been doing great ever since. I needed the encouragement. I will have the 'old fashioned' surgery not the EPF release. I have heard so many people say to stay off the foot after surgery but my Dr said that I need to be on the foot so that it will heal in a stretched out position rather than contracted and heal in the same position it was in before. I wonder if the people without success post op had this happen to them I realize everyone has a different story but I don't want to have to do this again because it didn't 'take ' the first time?? Am looking forward to positive changes in my life in the coming year!!! Anyways,Thanks for your post.