Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks?

Posted by LiW on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006334)

I notice Birkenstock shoes are recommended over all others for. Can someone give their experiences with the Birkenstock line of shoes? They're pretty expensive. Are they worth it?

Re: Birkenstocks?

Gail on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006338)

EVERYONE should go to their local Birkenstock store and try on several pairs in different styles and walk around for a few minutes in them. When you find the right pair your feet will scream 'thank-you, thank-you!; if you don't feel immediate comfort that pair may be the one in a hundred that could cause you ankle or other discomfort because of the way you must hold your foot to walk.
I have been a Birkenstock wearer for years and years, when wearing high heels for work I would come home and put on my Birkeys to relieve the pain that had built up over that day. Now that I am a nurse and on my feet for 12 hours at a time they are my salvation.
For me, the extra cost is well worth it - immitations simply do not provide the same foot comfort or pain/relief.

Sue on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006360)

After reading some of the responses to your post I tried the pair I bought 3 mo ago. They simply don't work for me. I don't even like them for around the house. Clarks(mentioned on this board) seem to help, but the Mephistos don't fit my foot right.

Robin on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006377)

I'm one who has had real good luck with Birks. I started wearing them in December 1998 and I have already bought 5 pairs. I wear Birks constantly, every minute I'm not in bed. They have reduced my heel and foot pain by about 40-50%. I can actually go about most of my daily business, thanks to Birks.

Personally, I recommend getting fitted in a Birk store if you have one available. Their salespeople are generally pretty smart, and for me the secret to their success was the right fit. I would have bought a size much bigger than I ended up with -- and am convinced the arch support would have been in the wrong place.

My advice would be -- try a pair. Basic Arizonas are good to start. They're expensive, yes. But they're $90. Believe me -- there are dozens and dozens of PF 'remedies' you can try that will eat up $90 faster than you can blink. If they work for you -- it's $90 well spent. Good luck.

Shell on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008276)

I am seriously pigeon-toed. My legs turn in at my hip-joints and as a child I couldn't run in gym because my legs hurt so much. I have been wearing Birkenstocks since 1987 and have seen an amazing difference in my legs and feet. If I walk around all day without them or even a short amount of time, my feet and hip-joints hurt. I have also noticed that I actually have arches now!!!!!! Couldn't live without those Birkies!

Gail on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006338)

EVERYONE should go to their local Birkenstock store and try on several pairs in different styles and walk around for a few minutes in them. When you find the right pair your feet will scream 'thank-you, thank-you!; if you don't feel immediate comfort that pair may be the one in a hundred that could cause you ankle or other discomfort because of the way you must hold your foot to walk.
I have been a Birkenstock wearer for years and years, when wearing high heels for work I would come home and put on my Birkeys to relieve the pain that had built up over that day. Now that I am a nurse and on my feet for 12 hours at a time they are my salvation.
For me, the extra cost is well worth it - immitations simply do not provide the same foot comfort or pain/relief.

Sue on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006360)

After reading some of the responses to your post I tried the pair I bought 3 mo ago. They simply don't work for me. I don't even like them for around the house. Clarks(mentioned on this board) seem to help, but the Mephistos don't fit my foot right.

Robin on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006377)

I'm one who has had real good luck with Birks. I started wearing them in December 1998 and I have already bought 5 pairs. I wear Birks constantly, every minute I'm not in bed. They have reduced my heel and foot pain by about 40-50%. I can actually go about most of my daily business, thanks to Birks.

Personally, I recommend getting fitted in a Birk store if you have one available. Their salespeople are generally pretty smart, and for me the secret to their success was the right fit. I would have bought a size much bigger than I ended up with -- and am convinced the arch support would have been in the wrong place.

My advice would be -- try a pair. Basic Arizonas are good to start. They're expensive, yes. But they're $90. Believe me -- there are dozens and dozens of PF 'remedies' you can try that will eat up $90 faster than you can blink. If they work for you -- it's $90 well spent. Good luck.

Shell on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008276)

I am seriously pigeon-toed. My legs turn in at my hip-joints and as a child I couldn't run in gym because my legs hurt so much. I have been wearing Birkenstocks since 1987 and have seen an amazing difference in my legs and feet. If I walk around all day without them or even a short amount of time, my feet and hip-joints hurt. I have also noticed that I actually have arches now!!!!!! Couldn't live without those Birkies!