Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks - rambling on

Posted by Jenny on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006335)

Well, I think that the Birks are wonderful. Can't believe I'm saying that, being a convert - before buying them I thought they looked awful and were MUCH too expensive. But then along came the pain, and I read (on this message board) about Birks helping some people, so I went to have another look at them. I nearly fainted at the prices, but found a pair of sandals drastically reduced, I think a discontinued line because they are not in the latest catalogue, and I bought them. My feet were in love, instantly. I also bought the blue inserts to use in my ordinary shoes. They are also very helpful.

The sandals are quite 'closed', almost like shoes with open toes and they cover a lot of foot, but this was February in London and it soon occurred to me that I might need something a bit more protective from rain and sleet and cold. I bought two pairs! One pair was reduced in price so I gave in to the temptation. They are different styles, and even though my credit card was in shock, I live in them and they feel wonderful. Some 'good' days I almost walk normally, and although the pain comes and goes it is definitely not as severe as it was a few months ago.

Soooooo, if you try them on and your feet are happy straight away, go for it. They are, to my mind, well worth the price (although I hope they last at least 10 years, which will make them seem cheaper!)

The fit is important (they come in two widths) and I found that not all the styles felt quite right, so it's worth trying to visit an actual shop and trying as many as you can.

Good luck!

jl

Re: Birkenstocks - rambling on

Cathie on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006336)

The nice thing about Birks is that when they become worn down, they can be repaired (re soled). I'm almost to that point now. The ones I got - I forget the name - are the fake leather, and I was initially not too fond of that, but I've had them two years and they've worn really well and still look good. My feet are really narrow and Birks come in a narrow width, but I have noticed that the size I fit into varies with the style, so it's best to try them on. Good luck!

birk freek on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008954)

Dear rambling on did you know that even cork can be replaced, or if you have a particular colour strap you like you can also have a complete new footbed put on check out http://www.shoetree.com! !

Cathie on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006336)

The nice thing about Birks is that when they become worn down, they can be repaired (re soled). I'm almost to that point now. The ones I got - I forget the name - are the fake leather, and I was initially not too fond of that, but I've had them two years and they've worn really well and still look good. My feet are really narrow and Birks come in a narrow width, but I have noticed that the size I fit into varies with the style, so it's best to try them on. Good luck!

birk freek on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008954)

Dear rambling on did you know that even cork can be replaced, or if you have a particular colour strap you like you can also have a complete new footbed put on check out http://www.shoetree.com! !