Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What next??? And I need good reasons for not getting cortisone shots..

Posted by Kris on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006353)

I have had PF for a year now. Since Feb. I have been going 3 times week for P.T. I go in the whirlpool, stretching, stationary bike, leg press, Therabands, and iceing. I have tried taping, custom orthotics and I still use night splints. I was in a removeable cast on my left foot for a few weeks. I now have a solid ankle AFO brace that keeps my foot flexed all the time but I can wear a tennis shoe with it. As you can see for three months we have been treating this with everything hoping something will make it better. When I go to my Dr. May 24th he says if I am still no better he would like to try a cortisone shot. I had one last year while seeing another Dr. It was the WORST thing I ever had. Worse than childbirth!!! I DO NOT want cortisone as the 1st shot did nothing but cause UNBELIEVEABLE PAIN while getting it. I need some good reasons other than it hurts to convince him I don't want another shot. Any negative info about cortisone would be great. Thanks and sorry this is so long! These boards are a lifesaver.

Re: What next??? And I need good reasons for not getting cortisone shots..

Kathy on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006354)

I know this has nothing against cortisone shots, but I had a series of 3 and they did help. After the first one(you get yourself so worked up over it that you anticpate the pain) but the last two only was uncomfortable for a second. It doesn't hurt. I have heel spurs and those hurt worse than the shots of cortisone did.

BarbJ on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006368)

Hi Kris: My orthopedic doctor says he NEVER gives cortisone shots in the heel because of the very real danger of destroying the heel pad. I have been on a foot strengthening regimen for about 4-5 months and just now actually seeing some very wonderful results. My pf is better than it has been in 2 years and I am finally building up my confidence that this can be licked!

Paula on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006373)

My experience with cortisone was totally opposite than yours. I have to admit, it did not help my pain at all, but I tried it at least 5 times. My shots, for some reason, did not hurt one bit. Does your doctor freeze the area first with a spray? I can't understand why it didn't hurt, but it didn't. I personally did not get good results from the shot, but trust your doctor and maybe it will help. Everyone is different. Good luck

alex on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006375)

After six months of PF agony, and all kinds of treatment (acupuncture beeing the best - but still didn't get rid of the stiffness and basic pain) I finally had one shot in February. First night after the shot was hell - after that I have been virtually pain-free. Occasional stiiffnedss in the morning. Now can walk for hours (eg playing golf) without problem. Have not yet gone back to playing tennis - but hope to soon. I am still very cautious. Mr Dr said that shots worked for some and not for others - said he would try a max. of 3 shots - minium 2 months apart. Its now over 2 months since my first shot and I haven't felt the need to go back... Good luck

Pam on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006397)

There is some discussion that cortisone actually reduces the integrity of the soft tissue and may result in an actual fascial tear which is that much worse than fascial inflammation. I fell for the injections twice. NEVER AGAIN. It masks the pain and fools you into thinking things are better and so you let up on the rehab program. Do not do.

Robin on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006400)

For what it's worth, here is another iron in the fire. Kris -- I don't see an issue here. You had a cortisone shot which hurt you beyond belief, did nothing to temporarily relieve your pain -- and you don't want another one. This looks simple to me -- you don't have to plead with or cajole your doctor into not giving you another injection. Simply direct your own health care treatment and refuse an injection if you're so inclined -- or if you wish to try a second one, make the decision. You're the one in charge of your health care, Kris, not your doctor.

I too have had PF for a year, but I haven't tried half the remedies you have tried. What you have described in your post is an ENORMOUS volume of treatment to go through in 12 months. Perhaps you might consider cutting back on the volume and giving one or two or three remedies a stronger and longer chance to work.

Re cortisone, I have not had injections in my feet, nor will I. But I HAVE had cortisone shot into my wrists so I am not without personal experience. Cortisone is a drug; its purpose is to relieve inflamation. This isn't an opinion, mine or anyone else's -- it's a fact. There's not an MD in the world who will tell you that cortisone cures any disease or condition. Cortisone doesn't cure and it's not meant to. The purpose is to mitigate inflamation -- hopefully, long enough that the inflamed tissue can heal. And it is frequently combined with other treatments more directly related to the healing process to speed that process. Sometimes it helps; sometimes not.

If you want to speak knowledgeably with your doctor, you might try any decent search engine on the internet and look up cortisone -- volumes of information will be in front of you. You get opinions from message boards, but medical and empirical information is also available to you that you can use effectively if you go head to head with your doc. Or you could make life easy and just change docs. Either way, I hope you decide you're in charge -- because you really are. Good luck.

maureen on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006445)

I had a cortisone shot 2 1/2 weeks ago and it did not work for me. I have had cortisone shots in the past in other areas, and I had a good response to them. For me the shot in my foot was initially not that painful, but within an hour was very very painful. It took several days to feel like my foot was back to the amount of soreness I usually feel. I will not have another shot. I have been stretching, icing, monitoring my activities (getting to the pool more often, biking more), taping while doing yoga, pushing the Vit.C (per Scotts rec.) and resting as much as I can. It does feel like for me my feet are slowly healing, but no thanks to the cortisone.

linda on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007530)

Maureen, you sound like you have had a bad experience. Last fall I had 6 shots into the heel of my foot before I got total relief. I have spurs on both heels but only one was inflamed so bad I could hardly walk.

In March of this year I was using a cane because my hip and leg were so bad from arthritis in my back. We first thought it was my hip and I received a shot of cortisone in my hip. Within 4 days my PC dr. decided I should see an orthopedic Dr. as the shot had done nothing.
I have had 2 epidural shots of cortisone into my spine now. The first one within 1 week I was not walking with a cane anymore. The second shot was for the continued discomfort of pain still in my hip joint. I have had the second one one week ago tomorrow and let me tell you I fell a whole lot better. They had told me that it could take at least 3 epidurals in the spine but I don't think I am going to need the 3rd one.

Keep the faith, see your doctor regularly. There are side effects for some but others there may not be. The only problem I have had is that I am also diabetic and it (cortisone) has raised by blood sugar quite a bit.

Good Luck!!

Kathy on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006354)

I know this has nothing against cortisone shots, but I had a series of 3 and they did help. After the first one(you get yourself so worked up over it that you anticpate the pain) but the last two only was uncomfortable for a second. It doesn't hurt. I have heel spurs and those hurt worse than the shots of cortisone did.

BarbJ on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006368)

Hi Kris: My orthopedic doctor says he NEVER gives cortisone shots in the heel because of the very real danger of destroying the heel pad. I have been on a foot strengthening regimen for about 4-5 months and just now actually seeing some very wonderful results. My pf is better than it has been in 2 years and I am finally building up my confidence that this can be licked!

Paula on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006373)

My experience with cortisone was totally opposite than yours. I have to admit, it did not help my pain at all, but I tried it at least 5 times. My shots, for some reason, did not hurt one bit. Does your doctor freeze the area first with a spray? I can't understand why it didn't hurt, but it didn't. I personally did not get good results from the shot, but trust your doctor and maybe it will help. Everyone is different. Good luck

alex on 4/29/99 at 00:00 (006375)

After six months of PF agony, and all kinds of treatment (acupuncture beeing the best - but still didn't get rid of the stiffness and basic pain) I finally had one shot in February. First night after the shot was hell - after that I have been virtually pain-free. Occasional stiiffnedss in the morning. Now can walk for hours (eg playing golf) without problem. Have not yet gone back to playing tennis - but hope to soon. I am still very cautious. Mr Dr said that shots worked for some and not for others - said he would try a max. of 3 shots - minium 2 months apart. Its now over 2 months since my first shot and I haven't felt the need to go back... Good luck

Pam on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006397)

There is some discussion that cortisone actually reduces the integrity of the soft tissue and may result in an actual fascial tear which is that much worse than fascial inflammation. I fell for the injections twice. NEVER AGAIN. It masks the pain and fools you into thinking things are better and so you let up on the rehab program. Do not do.

Robin on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006400)

For what it's worth, here is another iron in the fire. Kris -- I don't see an issue here. You had a cortisone shot which hurt you beyond belief, did nothing to temporarily relieve your pain -- and you don't want another one. This looks simple to me -- you don't have to plead with or cajole your doctor into not giving you another injection. Simply direct your own health care treatment and refuse an injection if you're so inclined -- or if you wish to try a second one, make the decision. You're the one in charge of your health care, Kris, not your doctor.

I too have had PF for a year, but I haven't tried half the remedies you have tried. What you have described in your post is an ENORMOUS volume of treatment to go through in 12 months. Perhaps you might consider cutting back on the volume and giving one or two or three remedies a stronger and longer chance to work.

Re cortisone, I have not had injections in my feet, nor will I. But I HAVE had cortisone shot into my wrists so I am not without personal experience. Cortisone is a drug; its purpose is to relieve inflamation. This isn't an opinion, mine or anyone else's -- it's a fact. There's not an MD in the world who will tell you that cortisone cures any disease or condition. Cortisone doesn't cure and it's not meant to. The purpose is to mitigate inflamation -- hopefully, long enough that the inflamed tissue can heal. And it is frequently combined with other treatments more directly related to the healing process to speed that process. Sometimes it helps; sometimes not.

If you want to speak knowledgeably with your doctor, you might try any decent search engine on the internet and look up cortisone -- volumes of information will be in front of you. You get opinions from message boards, but medical and empirical information is also available to you that you can use effectively if you go head to head with your doc. Or you could make life easy and just change docs. Either way, I hope you decide you're in charge -- because you really are. Good luck.

maureen on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006445)

I had a cortisone shot 2 1/2 weeks ago and it did not work for me. I have had cortisone shots in the past in other areas, and I had a good response to them. For me the shot in my foot was initially not that painful, but within an hour was very very painful. It took several days to feel like my foot was back to the amount of soreness I usually feel. I will not have another shot. I have been stretching, icing, monitoring my activities (getting to the pool more often, biking more), taping while doing yoga, pushing the Vit.C (per Scotts rec.) and resting as much as I can. It does feel like for me my feet are slowly healing, but no thanks to the cortisone.

linda on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007530)

Maureen, you sound like you have had a bad experience. Last fall I had 6 shots into the heel of my foot before I got total relief. I have spurs on both heels but only one was inflamed so bad I could hardly walk.

In March of this year I was using a cane because my hip and leg were so bad from arthritis in my back. We first thought it was my hip and I received a shot of cortisone in my hip. Within 4 days my PC dr. decided I should see an orthopedic Dr. as the shot had done nothing.
I have had 2 epidural shots of cortisone into my spine now. The first one within 1 week I was not walking with a cane anymore. The second shot was for the continued discomfort of pain still in my hip joint. I have had the second one one week ago tomorrow and let me tell you I fell a whole lot better. They had told me that it could take at least 3 epidurals in the spine but I don't think I am going to need the 3rd one.

Keep the faith, see your doctor regularly. There are side effects for some but others there may not be. The only problem I have had is that I am also diabetic and it (cortisone) has raised by blood sugar quite a bit.

Good Luck!!