Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I just bought my first pair of Mephistos, wow what a difference!

Posted by Dana on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006401)

Hi all, I'm new to this board and have been suffering from PF for about 1 month now. I have it on my left foot and the side of my heel. I'm waiting to talk to the Dr. about the xray that was taken. My Dr. said to ice, exercise foot, buy heel pads and loose weight. She said if not better in 5 to 6 weeks to come back and she would give me a shot. Well after reading your post I will wait on that. Not into pain that may not fix my problem. Sorry for going on, but I have to say I have been using her advice (expcept for loosing weight) and I do feel a difference as long as I wear the right shoes. I bought a pair of Mephistos sandles and wear them or my running shoes (with gel heal pads) only and never go bare foot. I even keep my sandles close to my bed so if I have to get up in the middle of night. My hope is after really taking care of this poor foot that I will heal it sooner or later. Soory this is so long, but I want to thank you all for all the great info. Will let you all know how it is going and Monday it's on to a new diet and weight loss. This past month I have felt about 60 instead of 40, to young to limp!

Re: I just bought my first pair of Mephistos, wow what a difference!

Lisa on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006450)

Dana, I know how you feel and can sympathize. I've had PF in both feet for 10+ years. The first doctor I went to didn't know anything 10 years ago and told me their was nothing he could do...long story short, PLEASE, follow all the advice of your doctor and many of the suggestions you read here on this board -- you'll find what works, but whatever you do, don't go back to bare feet or flat shoes. That was my mistake, well, not really, because no one ever told me until recently that bare feet was the worse thing to do.
By the way, I just had surgery almost 4 weeks ago and the surgery foot is worse now than it ever was.
Do everything you can to prevent it from getting worse.
Good Luck to you.
Lisa

Lonnie on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006457)

Bought my first Mephisto (Elka) last week after posting and getting some positive feedback. I've been wearing them at work only, just to break me into them slowly. My body alignment has been changed by the orthotics and my knees did ache alittle. I still wear my orthotics and sneakers outside of work. My PF and spurs have been undercontrol for the past year so I'm not going to make any fast changes. 'If it isn't broken don't fix it.' So far so good.
The floors at work are ceramic tile and extremely hard on the feet. The Elka Mephisto's are well cushioned. I also tried on a pair with just 2 wide straps and a lower heel but the arch was very uncomfortable. I noticed that my shoe size changed with different Mephisto styles. Got to try them on.
Good luck to you, this is the first pair of non-sneakers I've worn in years!

Dayna on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006491)

Hi Dana,

You're on the right track by never going without a shoe and an arch support. Did your doctor give you exercises? THIS ADVICE IS FOR VERY FLAT-FOOTED PEOPLE ONLY : Some I feel most beneficial are before I get out of bed I point, then pull back straight back trying to touch the top of my foot to the front of my calf keeping the foot 100% flat/straight, then pull the toes up and then roll the foot down until you look like a barbie doll foot (only good for high heels) then scrunch your toes under like trying to pick up a pencil. Then roll your feet around to wake up the ankles. Then repeat the foot stretching. I have found this very helpful in warming up the tendons so they stretch rather than tear when I stand up. Standing on a stair hanging your heels off is bad, stretching our your calf muscles is good. I don't wear high heels anymore, they started the problem by shortening my calves, now I wear nothing but lace-up flats with custom orthotics. END OF SPECIFIC ADVICE More important than heel pads is a correct arch support to support whatever arch you have, whether it be low or high or non-existent as in my case.

Your doctor is right in that ice helps reduce inflammation once you've hurt yourself, losing weight may or may not help, for some people on the board they report that it hasn't. It didn't make any difference for me, I had PF at 120 pounds and I still have it at 180 pounds. I'm trying to get at least part of me moving again to take some of the weight off, I just can't stand that Buddha Belly hanging around my waist, if it helps the PF fine but I'm not holding my breath. Good luck and let us know how things go for you, we care.

Lisa on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006450)

Dana, I know how you feel and can sympathize. I've had PF in both feet for 10+ years. The first doctor I went to didn't know anything 10 years ago and told me their was nothing he could do...long story short, PLEASE, follow all the advice of your doctor and many of the suggestions you read here on this board -- you'll find what works, but whatever you do, don't go back to bare feet or flat shoes. That was my mistake, well, not really, because no one ever told me until recently that bare feet was the worse thing to do.
By the way, I just had surgery almost 4 weeks ago and the surgery foot is worse now than it ever was.
Do everything you can to prevent it from getting worse.
Good Luck to you.
Lisa

Lonnie on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006457)

Bought my first Mephisto (Elka) last week after posting and getting some positive feedback. I've been wearing them at work only, just to break me into them slowly. My body alignment has been changed by the orthotics and my knees did ache alittle. I still wear my orthotics and sneakers outside of work. My PF and spurs have been undercontrol for the past year so I'm not going to make any fast changes. 'If it isn't broken don't fix it.' So far so good.
The floors at work are ceramic tile and extremely hard on the feet. The Elka Mephisto's are well cushioned. I also tried on a pair with just 2 wide straps and a lower heel but the arch was very uncomfortable. I noticed that my shoe size changed with different Mephisto styles. Got to try them on.
Good luck to you, this is the first pair of non-sneakers I've worn in years!

Dayna on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006491)

Hi Dana,

You're on the right track by never going without a shoe and an arch support. Did your doctor give you exercises? THIS ADVICE IS FOR VERY FLAT-FOOTED PEOPLE ONLY : Some I feel most beneficial are before I get out of bed I point, then pull back straight back trying to touch the top of my foot to the front of my calf keeping the foot 100% flat/straight, then pull the toes up and then roll the foot down until you look like a barbie doll foot (only good for high heels) then scrunch your toes under like trying to pick up a pencil. Then roll your feet around to wake up the ankles. Then repeat the foot stretching. I have found this very helpful in warming up the tendons so they stretch rather than tear when I stand up. Standing on a stair hanging your heels off is bad, stretching our your calf muscles is good. I don't wear high heels anymore, they started the problem by shortening my calves, now I wear nothing but lace-up flats with custom orthotics. END OF SPECIFIC ADVICE More important than heel pads is a correct arch support to support whatever arch you have, whether it be low or high or non-existent as in my case.

Your doctor is right in that ice helps reduce inflammation once you've hurt yourself, losing weight may or may not help, for some people on the board they report that it hasn't. It didn't make any difference for me, I had PF at 120 pounds and I still have it at 180 pounds. I'm trying to get at least part of me moving again to take some of the weight off, I just can't stand that Buddha Belly hanging around my waist, if it helps the PF fine but I'm not holding my breath. Good luck and let us know how things go for you, we care.