Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this possible?

Posted by Kathy on 4/30/99 at 00:00 (006406)

I have a question I haven't seen posted recently (if ever). Can it take a while for cortisone shots to 'kick in'? I had a series of three shots late last summer that just seem to be working as of the last 4 months ago. Since then the pain is bearable most times.. There are still days I need to keep them elevated and iced. By the way I am taking 1800 mg of Motrin a day and never walk without my inserts. I'm sure that helps some, but I am curious about the 'delayed' cortisone. Also how long can I stay on the Motrin...are there any side effects of long term use? I am eventually slated to have the 'full' surgery as soon as I can accrue enough time at work. My Pod says I should expect 6 - 8 weeks recovery time.

Re: Is this possible?

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006410)

Kathy,

I wish I had your doctor!! My doctor says it will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 MONTHS

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006411)

Kathy,

I wish I had your doctor!! My doctor says it will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 MONTHS to recover from the full surgery, AND he has seen it take from 9 months to a YEAR!!! And then he said that a small percentage of people NEVER really recover.
I guess I will never get the surgery, because I can't take more than 3 months off (family medical leave).
Oh this is so frustrating!
Kelus

Re: Is this possible? No, I don't think so.

Dayna on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006492)

Delayed cortizone, I don't buy that, more likely cortizone shots did nothing, your own body healing itself in the fullness of time and/or cumulative effects of the Motrin. That's a lot of Motrin but if your stomach can handle it there really aren't any long-term harmful effects, people with arthritis can and do take that much daily.

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006410)

Kathy,

I wish I had your doctor!! My doctor says it will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 MONTHS

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006411)

Kathy,

I wish I had your doctor!! My doctor says it will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 MONTHS to recover from the full surgery, AND he has seen it take from 9 months to a YEAR!!! And then he said that a small percentage of people NEVER really recover.
I guess I will never get the surgery, because I can't take more than 3 months off (family medical leave).
Oh this is so frustrating!
Kelus

Re: Is this possible? No, I don't think so.

Dayna on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006492)

Delayed cortizone, I don't buy that, more likely cortizone shots did nothing, your own body healing itself in the fullness of time and/or cumulative effects of the Motrin. That's a lot of Motrin but if your stomach can handle it there really aren't any long-term harmful effects, people with arthritis can and do take that much daily.