Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newcomer...I don't get it!

Posted by Lisa on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006413)

I don't get it! I found this website several weeks ago and I'm thrilled at all the info -- more than I ever got from my podiatrist. I've been a pf sufferer for 10+ years -- after trying everything else, I had surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm in as much pain as before from the minute I get out of bed to the minute I go to bed. This has certainly made a tremendous impact on my life (psycologically and physically) and that of my family.
Now, I'm not here to complain, but I was excited to find other people who understood what I was feeling and who could help offer suggestions in addition to the 21 pages of information that Scott compiled.
This is my concern: after reading all the recent posted messages (and I've never done this before so I'm still learning how message boards work) many of the old posters are frustrated with newcomers asking questions. How is a newcomer to learn how to deal with or help the pf if they cannot ask questions? I'm a newcomer and I'm thrilled to have access to others who understand. It appears that newcomers are not welcome here...Just because many of you are 'old friends' who already understand and know about eachother and have heard this information over and over again...
I came on here, not to harrass anyone, believe me. I'm looking for help and suggestions. But many of the last posts were all of you old timers going back and forth about stuff that has nothing to do with pf.
So, are newcomers welcome to chime in, or what? I sure would like to know what's worked for all of you?

Re: Newcomer...I don't get it!

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006415)

Please don't take offense at some people's remarks. There will always be people who maybe have a bit less patience and tact than others no matter where you are. I don't really think that offense was intended in the comments that were made. Personally, I had suffered with this PF for many months and had no idea what it was when I saw an ad for a shoe insert which mentioned 'plantar fasciitis'. I looked it up on the internet and found this site. I was so excited to finally be able to put a name to this and to find that there were other people who knew the pain I was suffering. I totally let my housework go for two or three days (of course I no longer have small children to tend to) and read everything this site has to offer. I felt like the pain was bad enough it would be well worth my time to read everything I could about it. I realize that everyone doesn't have as much time to do that as I do but there really is a wealth of information and experience in the archives so I would encourage all newcomers to read it all--even if it can only be a little bit at a time. At any rate, the purpose of this board is to offer sympathetic support and suggestions for treatment which is SO important as it is a fact that no one thing works for everyone. You and all newcomers are definitely welcome here---whether we like it or not, we're all in this together. Take from us what you can use and just let all the rest fly right over your head, okay?

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006417)

I forgot to say on my last post that surely most of us don't mind answering questions even if they've been asked before. If all the answers were in the archives this site could just be an informational site and there would not be a need or a purpose for this message board. I really think that the recent flack was simply due to a suggestion (maybe poorly worded) that in addition to asking questions there is a wealth of additional information in the archives, and etc. in other places on this site---not that new questions were not welcome. Let's all try to be more patient with each other.

Robin on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006422)

Lisa, all you really have to do is quickly scan about 100 names or so, and you'll see how many are 'new.' Obviously, newscomers are welcome and new people find Scott's web site every day. The issue isn't if newscomers are welcome -- the answer is 'of course they are' and that everyone is a newcomer when he or she first arrives here. I consider myself a semi-newcomer still. I have only been here since November 98.

I think part of the issue is that Scott has compiled (and continues to compile) an enormous amount of information about plantar fasciitis -- for a bunch of people like us, that he doesn't know. His main page is not easy to get through and it isn't as much 'fun' as reading a message board. But there IS a wealth of information there if people wish to educate themselves, learn about this condition and explore possible remedies. Obviously, Lisa, you read Scott's main document -- but many people don't. In fact, if you stick around for another month or two, you will be surprised at how few people actually do.

I think a second part of the issue -- for old-timers and those of us in between like me -- is that sometimes people find this site, they don't read anything beyond one or two posts, then they post themselves with a very generic 'HELP-I'm in pain' message -- and they seem genuinely surprised when tons of people don't rush to respond.

The reason tons of people don't rush to respond is that there IS a ton of information here on just about every approach known to mankind -- vitamin therapy, meds, surgery, physical therapy, podiatry, orthopedics, acupuncture, herbals, shoes and socks, stretching, icing, casts, canes, splints, wheelchairs, crutches, disability coverage, aquatics, aerobic exercise -- you name it, it's here. The very fact that Scott is toting around 6400+ messages and a 20-page single spaced document says there's plenty here for the person who wants to dig a little for it.

You must have a lot of info to offer yourself, Lisa, as a 10-year PF veteran. (Sometimes the mere thought of 9 more years of this makes me think the express check out looks more attractive everyday.) I do hope your surgery ends up being more effective than it seems right now; increasingly, more people with positive surgical experiences have shown up here and have recounted their stories and I hope you will be one of them before long. In the meantime, I'd bet that you have plenty to share about the pros and cons of various remedies and I hope you will. Chances are, what you have already learned could help new people who show up tomorrow. Anyway -- glad you found this place. Welcome.

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006507)

Express checkout? Please don't be thinking what I think you are thinking! Everyone on this message board understands and it is a great place to vent! Just know that there are people around you that love and care for you and our Lord cares for you as well.

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006415)

Please don't take offense at some people's remarks. There will always be people who maybe have a bit less patience and tact than others no matter where you are. I don't really think that offense was intended in the comments that were made. Personally, I had suffered with this PF for many months and had no idea what it was when I saw an ad for a shoe insert which mentioned 'plantar fasciitis'. I looked it up on the internet and found this site. I was so excited to finally be able to put a name to this and to find that there were other people who knew the pain I was suffering. I totally let my housework go for two or three days (of course I no longer have small children to tend to) and read everything this site has to offer. I felt like the pain was bad enough it would be well worth my time to read everything I could about it. I realize that everyone doesn't have as much time to do that as I do but there really is a wealth of information and experience in the archives so I would encourage all newcomers to read it all--even if it can only be a little bit at a time. At any rate, the purpose of this board is to offer sympathetic support and suggestions for treatment which is SO important as it is a fact that no one thing works for everyone. You and all newcomers are definitely welcome here---whether we like it or not, we're all in this together. Take from us what you can use and just let all the rest fly right over your head, okay?

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006417)

I forgot to say on my last post that surely most of us don't mind answering questions even if they've been asked before. If all the answers were in the archives this site could just be an informational site and there would not be a need or a purpose for this message board. I really think that the recent flack was simply due to a suggestion (maybe poorly worded) that in addition to asking questions there is a wealth of additional information in the archives, and etc. in other places on this site---not that new questions were not welcome. Let's all try to be more patient with each other.

Robin on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006422)

Lisa, all you really have to do is quickly scan about 100 names or so, and you'll see how many are 'new.' Obviously, newscomers are welcome and new people find Scott's web site every day. The issue isn't if newscomers are welcome -- the answer is 'of course they are' and that everyone is a newcomer when he or she first arrives here. I consider myself a semi-newcomer still. I have only been here since November 98.

I think part of the issue is that Scott has compiled (and continues to compile) an enormous amount of information about plantar fasciitis -- for a bunch of people like us, that he doesn't know. His main page is not easy to get through and it isn't as much 'fun' as reading a message board. But there IS a wealth of information there if people wish to educate themselves, learn about this condition and explore possible remedies. Obviously, Lisa, you read Scott's main document -- but many people don't. In fact, if you stick around for another month or two, you will be surprised at how few people actually do.

I think a second part of the issue -- for old-timers and those of us in between like me -- is that sometimes people find this site, they don't read anything beyond one or two posts, then they post themselves with a very generic 'HELP-I'm in pain' message -- and they seem genuinely surprised when tons of people don't rush to respond.

The reason tons of people don't rush to respond is that there IS a ton of information here on just about every approach known to mankind -- vitamin therapy, meds, surgery, physical therapy, podiatry, orthopedics, acupuncture, herbals, shoes and socks, stretching, icing, casts, canes, splints, wheelchairs, crutches, disability coverage, aquatics, aerobic exercise -- you name it, it's here. The very fact that Scott is toting around 6400+ messages and a 20-page single spaced document says there's plenty here for the person who wants to dig a little for it.

You must have a lot of info to offer yourself, Lisa, as a 10-year PF veteran. (Sometimes the mere thought of 9 more years of this makes me think the express check out looks more attractive everyday.) I do hope your surgery ends up being more effective than it seems right now; increasingly, more people with positive surgical experiences have shown up here and have recounted their stories and I hope you will be one of them before long. In the meantime, I'd bet that you have plenty to share about the pros and cons of various remedies and I hope you will. Chances are, what you have already learned could help new people who show up tomorrow. Anyway -- glad you found this place. Welcome.

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006507)

Express checkout? Please don't be thinking what I think you are thinking! Everyone on this message board understands and it is a great place to vent! Just know that there are people around you that love and care for you and our Lord cares for you as well.