Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Massaging with a tennis ball . . .

Posted by Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006414)

Hey, I really haven't been very diligent about stretching and massaging my PF foot so I finally bought some tennis balls and put one under my computer table so I could roll it back and forth under my arch and after doing it off and on for two days my foot hurt worse than it has in a long time. Surely this can't be helping can it? Is it normal for the treatment to cause pain?

It surely is true that the same things don't help everybody. I love Birkenstock shoes but hadn't worn them for a few years so when I got this PF I bought a new pair with a good arch and after I wear them for an entire afternoon the arch of my foot just throbs from resting on that hard arch support. It is hard to understand why but when I have the most relief is when I wear a Futuro elastic ankle support (which lifts up and supports my arch) and a pair of 'Simple' brand clogs with a very slightly elevated heel. They have a canvas covered foam insole and really don't have much of a prominent arch in them so I have no idea why they would feel good to me. I don't have flat feet---in fact probably a moderate to high arch. I do think that clogs are good because you have to curl your toes with each step to keep the shoes on and I think this strengthens the arch. Does this make any sense?

Re: Massaging with a tennis ball . . .

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006432)

Carol E.,

The birkenstocks hurt my feet too! I also have very high arches. I am going to go check out some Mephistos next week, as well as other shoes that everyone here have recommended. I guess I should take the Birks back while I have the chance.

I have never tryed the tennis ball, but at work, when my feet get to throbbing so bad, I slip into a corner and get my flashlight(!!) and roll it under my feet! It helps relieve some of the pain, but of course it is back in minutes since I am on my feet 9 hours a day.

Kelus

maureen on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006443)

A Massage therapist told me about using the tennis ball for massaging the feet. She also told me to immediately ICE my feet after doing this, as it is breaking up the scar tissue in my feet, which is irritating to my feet. I also have difficulty wearing my Birks for other than around the house at this time, as they cause my feet to hurt more if I do. Good luck!

kelus on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006432)

Carol E.,

The birkenstocks hurt my feet too! I also have very high arches. I am going to go check out some Mephistos next week, as well as other shoes that everyone here have recommended. I guess I should take the Birks back while I have the chance.

I have never tryed the tennis ball, but at work, when my feet get to throbbing so bad, I slip into a corner and get my flashlight(!!) and roll it under my feet! It helps relieve some of the pain, but of course it is back in minutes since I am on my feet 9 hours a day.

Kelus

maureen on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006443)

A Massage therapist told me about using the tennis ball for massaging the feet. She also told me to immediately ICE my feet after doing this, as it is breaking up the scar tissue in my feet, which is irritating to my feet. I also have difficulty wearing my Birks for other than around the house at this time, as they cause my feet to hurt more if I do. Good luck!