Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Working through the pain?

Posted by Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006423)

I'm no expert and I also realize that it is not always possible to do what is best but I think it is the general consensus around here that it is best to elevate and ice it, and if that's not possible then try to elevate it, and if that's not possible then try to stay off of it as much as possible. Working through the pain can only make it worse in my opinion.

Re: Working through the pain?

Lisa on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006426)

So if it's best to elevate and ice our feet or stay off them, then do you really want to do more damage going hiking? 5 miles, no less. Can you get someone to take you place and plan a different outing??? Please take your own advice seriously.

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006429)

No, I really don't want to do more damage, especially when it has come as far as it has (luckily I am a stay at home mom and am down to one child left at home and can kind of let things go a bit and stay off my feet as much as possible---unlike so many that must hold down jobs that require them to be on their feet all day long) Like I told Bea, if my foot is bothering me at all I will beg off and let some of the other ladies take the girls on the hike but there will still be 4 days of standing around helping girls tie knots, learn first aid, etc. without a chair in sight. The whole thing is just so frustrating to me because like many others who suffer from this, I am somewhat overweight and it will be really humiliating to always be looking for a place to sit down and to beg off on the hike. I just know that everyone will be thinking that I am just a lazy, fat woman and if I'd just get up and do something I could lose the weight---because, like I said, nobody understands the pain unless they have experienced it themselves.

Lisa on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006430)

Carol, last year when my son was in kindergarten he won this fold-up chair. It has a nylon seat and folds up so you can insert it into this long bag (looks about the size of a medium duffle bag) and it has a strap so you can swing it over your shoulder.
Well, it's small for a child, but I've seen them in stores -- Sports Authority maybe? Have you looked in the camping section of stores for something like it. Yeah, you'd have to carry it, but at least you could whip it out when in need of sitting down.
The mental/social aspect of this is tough, isn't it. I'm a 35-year-old mom with 2 kids 5 and 7 and, according to Weight Watchers I'm 25 pounds overweight (I'm a lifetime member from 6 years ago -- that's another story).
It'd be easier if we could wear a sign that says 'Got a foot disorder' or something.

joy on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006437)

i have been trying to work through my feet problems. however i also suffer from fibromyalgia. this is making the condition harder to work through. the doctor is not sure where to stop with the fibromyalgia and start with the feet. the pain is severe in the feet i have started using crutches just to be able to walk. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
joy

Diane F. on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006463)

Joy, know a bit what you are going through. I also have fibromyalgia, a left over from when I had something worse, it does not always bother me too much, but go through times where every muscle in my body.. forget only the feet ... feels like someone hit me all over with a metal bat. I find ginger tea to be very helpful, it great for the digestive system too. It has antiflam. affects which are useful to me as I cannot take asprin and other antiflam. meds. It is a simple thing but helps me alot, also you need to up your cal/mag which helps the muscle aches, if I forget to take my cal/mag caps.. pain in my muscles starts up. Get a chair to sit on in the shower and get a shower massage and use it on your worse hurting muscle and feet or just sit under the shower and relax and let your body feel the water work on that tired body. Think of a place that is relaxing.. like beach with waves coming in or stuff like that. Works in bath too.. light a candle, scented or not and just let your body slow down. The point is to take time for yourself and to untighten those muscle, as tight muscle hurt and cause you to tighten more and a the whole circle keeps going. A massage is wonderful too , even if only once in awhile. Doctors all want to give drugs all the time but sometime just a massage can work better and with less harm and money and it feels so good! :)Just a few ideal which I hope you can use. If you wish to talk
just e-mail me.

Lisa on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006426)

So if it's best to elevate and ice our feet or stay off them, then do you really want to do more damage going hiking? 5 miles, no less. Can you get someone to take you place and plan a different outing??? Please take your own advice seriously.

Carol E. on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006429)

No, I really don't want to do more damage, especially when it has come as far as it has (luckily I am a stay at home mom and am down to one child left at home and can kind of let things go a bit and stay off my feet as much as possible---unlike so many that must hold down jobs that require them to be on their feet all day long) Like I told Bea, if my foot is bothering me at all I will beg off and let some of the other ladies take the girls on the hike but there will still be 4 days of standing around helping girls tie knots, learn first aid, etc. without a chair in sight. The whole thing is just so frustrating to me because like many others who suffer from this, I am somewhat overweight and it will be really humiliating to always be looking for a place to sit down and to beg off on the hike. I just know that everyone will be thinking that I am just a lazy, fat woman and if I'd just get up and do something I could lose the weight---because, like I said, nobody understands the pain unless they have experienced it themselves.

Lisa on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006430)

Carol, last year when my son was in kindergarten he won this fold-up chair. It has a nylon seat and folds up so you can insert it into this long bag (looks about the size of a medium duffle bag) and it has a strap so you can swing it over your shoulder.
Well, it's small for a child, but I've seen them in stores -- Sports Authority maybe? Have you looked in the camping section of stores for something like it. Yeah, you'd have to carry it, but at least you could whip it out when in need of sitting down.
The mental/social aspect of this is tough, isn't it. I'm a 35-year-old mom with 2 kids 5 and 7 and, according to Weight Watchers I'm 25 pounds overweight (I'm a lifetime member from 6 years ago -- that's another story).
It'd be easier if we could wear a sign that says 'Got a foot disorder' or something.

joy on 5/01/99 at 00:00 (006437)

i have been trying to work through my feet problems. however i also suffer from fibromyalgia. this is making the condition harder to work through. the doctor is not sure where to stop with the fibromyalgia and start with the feet. the pain is severe in the feet i have started using crutches just to be able to walk. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
joy

Diane F. on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006463)

Joy, know a bit what you are going through. I also have fibromyalgia, a left over from when I had something worse, it does not always bother me too much, but go through times where every muscle in my body.. forget only the feet ... feels like someone hit me all over with a metal bat. I find ginger tea to be very helpful, it great for the digestive system too. It has antiflam. affects which are useful to me as I cannot take asprin and other antiflam. meds. It is a simple thing but helps me alot, also you need to up your cal/mag which helps the muscle aches, if I forget to take my cal/mag caps.. pain in my muscles starts up. Get a chair to sit on in the shower and get a shower massage and use it on your worse hurting muscle and feet or just sit under the shower and relax and let your body feel the water work on that tired body. Think of a place that is relaxing.. like beach with waves coming in or stuff like that. Works in bath too.. light a candle, scented or not and just let your body slow down. The point is to take time for yourself and to untighten those muscle, as tight muscle hurt and cause you to tighten more and a the whole circle keeps going. A massage is wonderful too , even if only once in awhile. Doctors all want to give drugs all the time but sometime just a massage can work better and with less harm and money and it feels so good! :)Just a few ideal which I hope you can use. If you wish to talk
just e-mail me.