Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Linda and anyone interested - weight loss idea.

Posted by Diane R. on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006458)

Linda - I too had gained a lot of weight from lack of exercise options with the PF (4 long yrs.) and I think also from taking NSAID's over a long period of time off and on.

Anyway, someone at work clued me in on her weight plan. I tried it and it worked and is still working for me. Here it is:

Breakfast:
1. Good vitamin supplement, vit. c, calcium, mag., selenium, zinc, glucosamine sulfate & whatever else you think you should be taking.
2. Oatmeat or other hot cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk, small amount of sugar if you need it (I do).

Lunch:
1. One can of Slim Fast - only the Chocolate Royale - her opinion and mine - keep it on hand and drink slowly - make sure it is very cold. I actually enjoy it now each day. This is 5 days a week at work only. Weekends I take a break and eat whatever my friends, family are having for lunch and dinner.

Dinner:
1. Reasonable portion of what the rest of family is having or if it's something fat loaded, like pizza, I will have a Stoufer's meal - not necessarily the lean cuisine but something 10-12% fat or less and not more that about 300-350 calories.

Snacks: I keep a bottle of water handy all day at work and drink from it often. Then if that is not answering the food craving, I have a bag of pre-cut carrots, a apple or a banana about 3:00 in the afternoon.

The key I think is starting each day at the eating about the same time and keeping the meals about the same time each day on a routine. It seemed to re-set my metabolism clock.

What I know is I have been 'watching' my weight and food intake for years now since I was about 30-35 yrs. old and no matter what I seemed to do -- which diet plan I tried I never took off or keep off much weight. All I succeeded in doing was constantly thinking about what I could or shouldn't eat everytime I ate out or every time I went to the grocery store and everytime I had a free moment.

At age 50 I started this slim fast plan and it took me about 8 mths to very slowly take off about 25 lbs. I got down to 125-128# and am 5'4' tall. I was continuing to lose weight everyone encouraged me to then ease up a bit ... and of course over the last 4 mths I've been even less strict about first extra food and then the slim fast each day during week - human weakness - I have now gained 5-7 lbs back - and so last week have re-started being diligent again about the slim fast Mon-Fri. (Also, during that weight gain time, I had to go back on NSAID's for a torn shoulder - and I swear it gains pounds on me!) But am now off those again.

If I fall off the wagon on the weekend I tell myself each monday to get back on and restart my program. It is such a routine now that at 52 I hope to never get back to my fat self again. I was size 14 petite and am now size 6 petite in shorts and pants size 8 sometimes depending on brand. Good luck hope it helps some of you as it did me!