Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Brand Shoes helped you, which didn't and Why?

Posted by Rebecca on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006459)

Hi friends! I'm looking for lot's of experiences with Shoes, good and bad and names of the shoes, etc. I'll print the answers out and then spend one day going from store to store trying out shoes. SO helpe me out! O.K?

Thanks soooo mcuh in advance!

Rebecca

Re: What Brand Shoes helped you, which didn't and Why?

Lisa on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006466)

ECCO shoes work for me since they have a removable insole. The store I bought them from only had two styles; one came in three colors. They are not real dressy, depending on how you like to dress.
Post what you find, please. Anything with removable insole would be great!
Lisa

Jane on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006485)

My best experience yet has been with New Balance 850 sneakers and the old Dr. Scholl wooden sandles for around the house. I know many people swear by Birkenstocks but they just didn't fit my feet right. Good luck finding what works best for you!

Polly on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006488)

I agree with the New Balance as well. I've also had great luck with Saucony walking shoes, Salamon ankle hikers and Mephisto's - all because they have a great arch support. Some people think that because they have good orthotics they don't necessarily need a good shoe. Don't fall into that line of thinking.

Has anyone heard good or bad about clogs?

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006506)

Icing with a frozen pop bottle works wonders. Not going barefoot is good too. I wore Naot's (Israeli version of Birks) for a few years and my feet got worse and worse. I wore orthotics in tennis shoes - they were marginally helpful. A night splint was more trouble than it was worth. BUT spending oodles of money on a pair of Arizona Birkenstock sandals and also on a pair of the Birk shoes was money well spent. I have gone from hardly being able to walk in the morning to getting out of bed and not realizing I have a foot problem. The sandals are good in and out of the house. The shoes are the best because they give you the support on your foot but also don't let your foot slide around like sandals do. They are expensive but worth it! What area are you located in? E-mail me directly and I can help you if you have more questions. I learned so much from this website and everyone was so helpful in answering questions. You CAN get better!!! :o)

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006509)

I forgot to say in my last post that the shoes are a size bigger than the sandals. I also realized that with my high arch, there were a number of the shoes I couldn't wear, like the clogs. Hope this helps.

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006517)

To date I've tried: Mephistos. The arch starts in the toe box too far back and hits the side of my foot in the wrong place. I tried both the Lilia model and the top of the line walking shoe. Birk orthotics: The semi custom fit ones. I wore them 24/7 for 3 mo. The podiatrist modified them(put a heel cushion on the bottom) They became so bulky they no longer fit in my shoes. New Balance 586 running shoes. I wore them for several months and all I got was athletes foot. Birk sandals. I guess I'm the only one who can't wear them. I receive custom orthotics in two weeks and am hoping they help. Any suggestions what shoe to wear them with?

Marilyn on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006519)

Polly: You asked about clogs;Mephisto clogs are the only shoe I can wear!I hear everyone raving about sneakers, I haven't found a pair that are good for me. They make my ankle stiffen up.Anyone else have this problem? Marilyn

Wanda on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006522)

Can you tell me where you get the Saycony Walking shoes also where does one find the Memphisto shoe . What kind of New Balance did you buy,or did you just try on several kinds?

Alison on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006533)

Which Birk shoes did you get ?

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006543)

I've tried New Balance running shoes, Birk sandals and orthotics, two different types of Mephistos(the arch support started too far back in the toe box and hit the side of my foot) I am interested in the clogs. Some people have said Dansko clogs caused more problems. I am concerned that the open back does not help stablize the heel for better support. Have the clogs worked well for you?

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006585)

Mephisto's are at Nordstrom or on the web at http://www.mephistogreatlakes.com .

Roberta on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006660)

Hello, I have found that clogs are the only shoes I can wear - not the DAnsko clogs which are too squishy, but the real old fashioned wooden clogs. I just got a new pair that are wood but with a pretty thick rubber sole that is supposed to be good for your back - guess lots of doctors and nurses wear them. Anyway, I can wear them and forget I am even injured. They are from Sweden I think - sorry I don't know the brand buy I can find out. Not having a heel doesn't seem to be a problem.

Lisa on 5/02/99 at 00:00 (006466)

ECCO shoes work for me since they have a removable insole. The store I bought them from only had two styles; one came in three colors. They are not real dressy, depending on how you like to dress.
Post what you find, please. Anything with removable insole would be great!
Lisa

Jane on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006485)

My best experience yet has been with New Balance 850 sneakers and the old Dr. Scholl wooden sandles for around the house. I know many people swear by Birkenstocks but they just didn't fit my feet right. Good luck finding what works best for you!

Polly on 5/03/99 at 00:00 (006488)

I agree with the New Balance as well. I've also had great luck with Saucony walking shoes, Salamon ankle hikers and Mephisto's - all because they have a great arch support. Some people think that because they have good orthotics they don't necessarily need a good shoe. Don't fall into that line of thinking.

Has anyone heard good or bad about clogs?

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006506)

Icing with a frozen pop bottle works wonders. Not going barefoot is good too. I wore Naot's (Israeli version of Birks) for a few years and my feet got worse and worse. I wore orthotics in tennis shoes - they were marginally helpful. A night splint was more trouble than it was worth. BUT spending oodles of money on a pair of Arizona Birkenstock sandals and also on a pair of the Birk shoes was money well spent. I have gone from hardly being able to walk in the morning to getting out of bed and not realizing I have a foot problem. The sandals are good in and out of the house. The shoes are the best because they give you the support on your foot but also don't let your foot slide around like sandals do. They are expensive but worth it! What area are you located in? E-mail me directly and I can help you if you have more questions. I learned so much from this website and everyone was so helpful in answering questions. You CAN get better!!! :o)

Sharon H on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006509)

I forgot to say in my last post that the shoes are a size bigger than the sandals. I also realized that with my high arch, there were a number of the shoes I couldn't wear, like the clogs. Hope this helps.

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006517)

To date I've tried: Mephistos. The arch starts in the toe box too far back and hits the side of my foot in the wrong place. I tried both the Lilia model and the top of the line walking shoe. Birk orthotics: The semi custom fit ones. I wore them 24/7 for 3 mo. The podiatrist modified them(put a heel cushion on the bottom) They became so bulky they no longer fit in my shoes. New Balance 586 running shoes. I wore them for several months and all I got was athletes foot. Birk sandals. I guess I'm the only one who can't wear them. I receive custom orthotics in two weeks and am hoping they help. Any suggestions what shoe to wear them with?

Marilyn on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006519)

Polly: You asked about clogs;Mephisto clogs are the only shoe I can wear!I hear everyone raving about sneakers, I haven't found a pair that are good for me. They make my ankle stiffen up.Anyone else have this problem? Marilyn

Wanda on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006522)

Can you tell me where you get the Saycony Walking shoes also where does one find the Memphisto shoe . What kind of New Balance did you buy,or did you just try on several kinds?

Alison on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006533)

Which Birk shoes did you get ?

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006543)

I've tried New Balance running shoes, Birk sandals and orthotics, two different types of Mephistos(the arch support started too far back in the toe box and hit the side of my foot) I am interested in the clogs. Some people have said Dansko clogs caused more problems. I am concerned that the open back does not help stablize the heel for better support. Have the clogs worked well for you?

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006585)

Mephisto's are at Nordstrom or on the web at http://www.mephistogreatlakes.com .

Roberta on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006660)

Hello, I have found that clogs are the only shoes I can wear - not the DAnsko clogs which are too squishy, but the real old fashioned wooden clogs. I just got a new pair that are wood but with a pretty thick rubber sole that is supposed to be good for your back - guess lots of doctors and nurses wear them. Anyway, I can wear them and forget I am even injured. They are from Sweden I think - sorry I don't know the brand buy I can find out. Not having a heel doesn't seem to be a problem.