Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Changing to Shoes after wearing New Balance all Day

Posted by Denise on 5/04/99 at 00:00 (006500)

Ok I don't really know if this just a fluke or what but I have tried wearing a shoe with a clunky heel every other day and on the off days I wear my New Balance Walking Sneakers 752 with my orthodics in them. I feel pretty good so far with this and I think I should mention I am also post-op EPF 2 months. Went thru PT after surgery and I still wear a night splint every night and stretch in the AM. I think the clunky heel lifts me off my PF so I really have a good stretch all day. Sorry guys unless you wear heel in a boot I don't know what else to tell you.

Re: Changing to Shoes after wearing New Balance all Day

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006514)

I started wearing New Balance running shoes 3 mo ago. They have not improved the PF. The podiatrist recommended a one inch heel with a soft(cushioned sole). I wore Clarks desert boots(lace up with Birk orthotics) for several months and that didn't help. I bought a pair of Clark sandals with a clunky 1 and 1/2 inch heel, the logic being the higher heel would reduce the weight on my heel. They don't seem to help but they don't seem to make it worse. I have had molds made of my feet and I receive custom orthotics next week. Still pondering what shoes to put them in. Any suggestions?

Bobbi on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006532)

Dear Sue, I have orthotics made from molds of my feet--they fit in my Brooks runing shoe but not well in anything you can wear to the office. I have found Dr. Scholls arch supports (bought them at Wal Mart) have been working fairly well at work. I streatch every AM and PM--ice at night--this is really SLOW--see the Doc on Friday--don't even know what to tell him--does this ever get completly better?

Molly on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006562)

Sue: I also have custom orthodics made from a mold of my foot and I've found they fit nicely in a loafer-type, soft sole shoe made by Easy Spirit. I can wear these to work. It was very hard to find a shoe that I could wear to work that these inserts fit in, but so far I've had success with these. I had to purchase a 'toe cushion' though made by Dr. Sholes I believe (in drugstores) just to balance out my foot because my insoles have a heel on them.

Now if I could just get over this PF! I ice 3 to 4 times a day, take vitamin C, stretch, wear Birkenstocks at home in my tile floor house, you name it. I want to thank all of you for this message board and all your posts. It helps to know I'm not alone!

Molly

Sue on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006600)

Just got my custom orthotics today. I was told it would be lined with a felt/foam material and continue in the ball and toe part of the foot. What I got is a big bulky huge orthotic that barely fits into my New Balance running shoes and clearly fits into nothing else. Of course I have to break these in gradually. They are 3/4 length and the ball of my foot feels like it doesn't even touch the bottom of the shoe. I know I have to be patient and go slowly.

Lisa in VA on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006801)

My pod told me that wearing shoes with low heels is actually better than flat shoes because heel lifts your foot and puts the pressure on the front of your foot and takes it off your heel. I've always felt better wearing shoes with about a one-inch heel than flat shoes.

Sue on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006514)

I started wearing New Balance running shoes 3 mo ago. They have not improved the PF. The podiatrist recommended a one inch heel with a soft(cushioned sole). I wore Clarks desert boots(lace up with Birk orthotics) for several months and that didn't help. I bought a pair of Clark sandals with a clunky 1 and 1/2 inch heel, the logic being the higher heel would reduce the weight on my heel. They don't seem to help but they don't seem to make it worse. I have had molds made of my feet and I receive custom orthotics next week. Still pondering what shoes to put them in. Any suggestions?

Bobbi on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006532)

Dear Sue, I have orthotics made from molds of my feet--they fit in my Brooks runing shoe but not well in anything you can wear to the office. I have found Dr. Scholls arch supports (bought them at Wal Mart) have been working fairly well at work. I streatch every AM and PM--ice at night--this is really SLOW--see the Doc on Friday--don't even know what to tell him--does this ever get completly better?

Molly on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006562)

Sue: I also have custom orthodics made from a mold of my foot and I've found they fit nicely in a loafer-type, soft sole shoe made by Easy Spirit. I can wear these to work. It was very hard to find a shoe that I could wear to work that these inserts fit in, but so far I've had success with these. I had to purchase a 'toe cushion' though made by Dr. Sholes I believe (in drugstores) just to balance out my foot because my insoles have a heel on them.

Now if I could just get over this PF! I ice 3 to 4 times a day, take vitamin C, stretch, wear Birkenstocks at home in my tile floor house, you name it. I want to thank all of you for this message board and all your posts. It helps to know I'm not alone!

Molly

Sue on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006600)

Just got my custom orthotics today. I was told it would be lined with a felt/foam material and continue in the ball and toe part of the foot. What I got is a big bulky huge orthotic that barely fits into my New Balance running shoes and clearly fits into nothing else. Of course I have to break these in gradually. They are 3/4 length and the ball of my foot feels like it doesn't even touch the bottom of the shoe. I know I have to be patient and go slowly.

Lisa in VA on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006801)

My pod told me that wearing shoes with low heels is actually better than flat shoes because heel lifts your foot and puts the pressure on the front of your foot and takes it off your heel. I've always felt better wearing shoes with about a one-inch heel than flat shoes.