Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've tried almost everything!

Posted by Letty Wambaugh on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006539)

Hi to all PF sufferers! I been reading this board for a while and all of Scott's great info. I have had PF one year and have tried shots, orthotics, Birkenstocks, anti-inflammatories, ice, heat, stretching, orthotics, heel cups, massage, taping and now the removable cast. I've easily spent over a $1000.00 just on these alone. I have seen a podiatrist, an orthopedic surgeon and a massage therapist. The things that helped the most in order of effectiveness were taping, Birkenstocks and now casting. I am using the cast as a night splint but have ordered the Strassburg Sock as the removable cast is almost impossible to sleep in. It upsets me that the medical community just doesn't seem to take much interest in this debilitating condition that essentially ruins your active life. I was a fitness walker and walked 4600 miles at my local mall and hiked often with my husband. Now I can't walk two blocks without pain. My podiatrist said she will try the cast for 4-6 wks. and if that doesn't work then put me on crutches. The next step is surgery but I am not sure I want to try it since it has mixed results. I have heart disease (58 yr. old female) and need cardiovascular exercise but cannot do it. I have gained 30 pds. due to the sedentary life style this condition creats. I feel like I am complaining and whining but I think most of you on this board know what I mean and no one seems to have one good answer. I looked at Mephisto's at Nordstroms today and $250.00 for one pair of shoes is a bit much. Although I have spent over $300 on 3 pairs of Birks. Sorry for the rambling, but just need to talk to other sufferers.

Re: I've tried almost everything!

Lisa on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006556)

Welcome Aboard! We know how you feel for sure. Please stick around. Sometimes just the emotional support found here, along with all the great tips and advice, is enough to get you through another day.
I've had PF for 10 years, tried everything too, and have gained 25 pounds for lack of exercise. It's a vicious circle...need to exercise to lose weight and have energy, but can't exercise because of the feet, and vice versa...we know and understand.
Don't worry about rambling, venting or whining...all of us have been there. This is the place to do it since people who don't have PF just don't have a clue as to how it feels. Keep your chin up!

Letty on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006581)

Thanks Lisa. You hit it right on the head - other people including some docs just shake their heads as if we are speaking in a foreign tongue. I truthfully don't know what I would have done without Scott's scholarly, complete and absolutely necessary web page and information. I printed it all out and carried it from dr. to dr. So far the removable cast is working and relieving the pain. But from the comments on this board it seems that different treatments can relieve the symptoms but then when you resume activities, it (the dreaded PF) comes back. So I know not to be overconfident. I wish someone would tell me how to lose weight without exercising and truthfully I miss the high you get from aerobic exercise. Some have recommended swimming but in my present condition I will not put a bathing suit on and that's that. Thanks again.
Letty

Lisa on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006556)

Welcome Aboard! We know how you feel for sure. Please stick around. Sometimes just the emotional support found here, along with all the great tips and advice, is enough to get you through another day.
I've had PF for 10 years, tried everything too, and have gained 25 pounds for lack of exercise. It's a vicious circle...need to exercise to lose weight and have energy, but can't exercise because of the feet, and vice versa...we know and understand.
Don't worry about rambling, venting or whining...all of us have been there. This is the place to do it since people who don't have PF just don't have a clue as to how it feels. Keep your chin up!

Letty on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006581)

Thanks Lisa. You hit it right on the head - other people including some docs just shake their heads as if we are speaking in a foreign tongue. I truthfully don't know what I would have done without Scott's scholarly, complete and absolutely necessary web page and information. I printed it all out and carried it from dr. to dr. So far the removable cast is working and relieving the pain. But from the comments on this board it seems that different treatments can relieve the symptoms but then when you resume activities, it (the dreaded PF) comes back. So I know not to be overconfident. I wish someone would tell me how to lose weight without exercising and truthfully I miss the high you get from aerobic exercise. Some have recommended swimming but in my present condition I will not put a bathing suit on and that's that. Thanks again.
Letty