Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My story

Posted by Andi K on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006541)

I enjoyed exercising 7 days/week. Step-classes, spin classes, running, etc. Last May I developed PF in my left foot. I have gone through most of the measures to correct this problem as you all have. My last Ortho doc reccommended surgery, but I don't want it. I haven't found relief with stretching or icing. Iontophoresis and 3 cortisone shots also gave me no relief. I have decided it is time to take it easy and see if I can get better by just doing less. I do wear a night splint which I love and I also get lots of relief from taping. I purchased all new shoes. I'm trying Born shoes as well as birks for around the house. I bought the Birk arch supports to wear in all my other shoes (Sketchers et. al.) I am also taking Metaboloss herbal appetite suppressants 2x/day on weekdays. These have really helped me keep my weight stable. I know what so many of you are going through with the weight gains. It's amazing that without the exercise, I still have the appetite to eat huge quantities. These suppressants have helped me stay in my 6's, they're worth a try! I wish you all the best and hopefully I'll be back on the tennis court soon!

Re: My story

Hank on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006551)

Andi,
When you're used to a very active life it can be a REAL struggle
overcoming pf. I've had to give up triathlons and running which were
a joy to me. I've sustained pf last September and, like you, have
tried a variety of cures. Yes, I've been to an orthopaedist. Today
I'm going for my first ever acupuncture treatment. I don't hold much
hope for this - prolly' is goofy - but will give it a try.
Swimming a great alternative exercise. I'm not a gifted swimmer
by any means but am targeting a July 10th 2 mile ocean swim put on by the marines at camp Lejuene in N.C. My goal is simply to complete it.
I don't care if I come in last place. Having this race to look forward to helps offset not being able to run or play sports.
Good luck with getting back on the tennis courts!
Hank

Andi K on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006590)

Hank, Thanks for the encouragement! I wish you the same. I wanted to let you know that I too, feel swimming is a wonderful alternative. I was swimming 70 laps-once a week as a part of my cross-training routine. I will get back to it soon, but I'm enjoying a little reprieve from all the exercise while I rest my PF. I, too competed in triathlons in my early 20's (10 years ago.) I did many 1.5K swims in open water in Florida. It can be intimidating, but I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck! Andrea

Hank on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006551)

Andi,
When you're used to a very active life it can be a REAL struggle
overcoming pf. I've had to give up triathlons and running which were
a joy to me. I've sustained pf last September and, like you, have
tried a variety of cures. Yes, I've been to an orthopaedist. Today
I'm going for my first ever acupuncture treatment. I don't hold much
hope for this - prolly' is goofy - but will give it a try.
Swimming a great alternative exercise. I'm not a gifted swimmer
by any means but am targeting a July 10th 2 mile ocean swim put on by the marines at camp Lejuene in N.C. My goal is simply to complete it.
I don't care if I come in last place. Having this race to look forward to helps offset not being able to run or play sports.
Good luck with getting back on the tennis courts!
Hank

Andi K on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006590)

Hank, Thanks for the encouragement! I wish you the same. I wanted to let you know that I too, feel swimming is a wonderful alternative. I was swimming 70 laps-once a week as a part of my cross-training routine. I will get back to it soon, but I'm enjoying a little reprieve from all the exercise while I rest my PF. I, too competed in triathlons in my early 20's (10 years ago.) I did many 1.5K swims in open water in Florida. It can be intimidating, but I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck! Andrea