Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise Ideas from Anyone? Nursing mom tries to slim down!

Posted by Maura on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006544)

Hello to all--I just discovered this site tonight, and it gives me encouragement to know that I am not alone with this wretched heel pain!! I have gained tons of weight due to poor eating habits during my 2 pregnancies; now I am trying, via Weight Watchers and TaeKwonDo, to lose my 60 pounds of excess weight. Its slow going; have lost 16 pounds in 7 months--unfortunately I need to keep a slow pace because of nursing my baby son. HOWEVER, the problem now is that the TaeKwonDo (which I enjoy greatly) is a high-impact, barefoot sport!! I am resisting changing exercises, simply because as a couch potato, I have to really enjoy something or I just won't work out at all. I suspect that I will have to give this up, at least for a while, though, because the pain is growing greater during my TaeKwonDo classes. I plan to try icing, and trying to find a martial arts supportive shoe, if such a thing exists. I take ibuprofin as needed, and wear Birkinstocks most of the time.

Re: Exercise Ideas.

Dayna on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006559)

Explain that you have to wear shoes. That's it, no getting around it, your instructor should understand. Yes, it is high impact but see if you can't modify the movements to always have one foot on the ground, no jumping.

If you absolutely have to be barefoot, wear a support band (use the search function to find the word 'pedifix'), there was a message a while back with a website where you can order them. They are like an extremely wide flat fabric-covered rubber band, it goes around your arch and I have found it makes a big difference. Also try taping your foot first, see Scott's main page for a good diagram of how to do this.

I started weight training, maybe I can't move the fat around but if I build up some muscle that will make my body use more energy all the time to sustain itself, and if you do low-weight high-rep you can get a reasonable aerobic workout too. Some people bicycle for aerobic value also. Most important is to move something, if your feet hurt but your arms and legs don't lie on the couch and swing them around, turn on the radio and wriggle in your chair, but move something, every little bit helps.

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006583)

Try taping to be able to continue the Tae Kwon Do. Also, The blue foam pads for sleeping on when you are camping-- try using one of those at the dojo when you are simply standing and doing drills fo kicks and punches. It will help cushion the heels, which should help some also. I'm also following up with Reebock on a soft shoe which I saw in a promo a couple of months ago , which I think would be great for yoga and martial arts. As of a couple of weeks ago, they had not yet gone to production. Good luck! I do a deep water aerobic class which I love because I get a good workout with no impact.

Re: Exercise Ideas: pedifix?

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006587)

Dayna, where did you buy the pedifix? I just looked at their website, which is lame & has no pictures fo the products, etc. I'm interested in looking for the pedifix to see if it would be helpful to me. I've heard you mention it a couple of times, and i'm ready to try something new. Thanks!

Maura on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006602)

Thanks, Dayna and Maureen, for your suggestions. I spoke with my instructor today; he was very supportive and said that I should modify things as needed and can skip the 'jumpy' sorts of things, such as jumping jacks and leaping kicks and jumping when we turn from side to side. (I am already modifying things due to my tendonitis of the wrist; some of the other students must think that I have really bad form!! As other folks on this board have said before, I wish I could wear a sign that explains my condition...)

I will look into the pedifix. Today I bought some athletic tape and plan to try Scott's taping procedure. Also thought I'd give icing a try. For some reason my feet seem worse than usual for the past few days. Plus, the Russell cross-training sneakers--which seem to make my heels feel even more protected and less painful than my beloved Birkies--are leaving the tops of my feet feeling somewhat tingly, in an unpleasant way, almost like an odd neurological buzzing. Perhaps I am lacing them too tightly, or perhaps it is just because (since I have always preferred going barefoot)my feet are unused to being enclosed in shoes all day. I really HATE wearing shoes all the time!

Weight training sounds good. I've been meaning to start that for a while, to get my metabolism into a higher gear. My husband is all gung-ho to buy me a spiffy bike and a baby seat and have us all go out bicycling together, such a happy family. I am less enthusiastic, never having been a very good bicyclist. I also envision taking a tumble with the baby strapped on, and that scares me...(My husband would have our other son, age 4, on the back of his bike, most likely.) Plus, our old bikes having been stolen a few years ago, this would mean the expense of getting a bike!! But maybe I can borrow someone's for a while, just to see if I would use it before making an expensive purchase.

Boy do I wish I hadn't gained so much weight during my pregnancies!! 65 pounds with the first baby, 45 the second, and I am currently about 50-60 pounds overweight, depending on which chart you go by...My doctor said that losing some weight may improve the heel spur condition, but perhaps not. Now, too, I can't do the physical things that I used to love, like ballroom dancing or contra dancing--even walking aerobically is difficult. (whine, moan, complain)

Yvonne on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006604)

Hi, I am a fellow sufferer too! I enjoy vigerous exersise as well, and now miss it lots!! I tried the Tae Bo tapes, and find them pretty good. Most of it is low impact and some of it you have to modify, but to my surprize not too much.

Michelle on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006612)

I have been doing Tae Bo for about a month. It really seems to help and my foot Dr. said that it is a good idea. I agree on modifying the workout. The parts where you are suppose to bounce, I just stand there because I am afraid that I will do a lot of damage bouncing. Good Luck.

Dayna on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006615)

My podiatrist sells them. If you can't find them anywhere else, send me an email and we can make arrangements for me to get some and send them to you.

Re: Exercise Ideas from Anyone? Nursing mom tries to slim down!

lanie on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006657)

Maura,
I too, used to be heavily into aerobics, was not overweight at the time I got pf in my feet but have had to give it up because of the problems with my feet. I started gaining weight as a result because I could not find another type of exercise that did as well. As a result of this board I was led to the Atkins diet. I researched it by getting the book and now had my husband and myself on this Way of Eating. I've never enjoyed a diet more in my life. We are never hungry, and eat very well. If you are interested, feel free to email me, or contact me via im's (if on aol) and I will be glad to let you in on more. My puter had crashed so i'm a little late posting this to your response, so I hope you find it.

Have a great day.
lanie :)

Dayna on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006559)

Explain that you have to wear shoes. That's it, no getting around it, your instructor should understand. Yes, it is high impact but see if you can't modify the movements to always have one foot on the ground, no jumping.

If you absolutely have to be barefoot, wear a support band (use the search function to find the word 'pedifix'), there was a message a while back with a website where you can order them. They are like an extremely wide flat fabric-covered rubber band, it goes around your arch and I have found it makes a big difference. Also try taping your foot first, see Scott's main page for a good diagram of how to do this.

I started weight training, maybe I can't move the fat around but if I build up some muscle that will make my body use more energy all the time to sustain itself, and if you do low-weight high-rep you can get a reasonable aerobic workout too. Some people bicycle for aerobic value also. Most important is to move something, if your feet hurt but your arms and legs don't lie on the couch and swing them around, turn on the radio and wriggle in your chair, but move something, every little bit helps.

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006583)

Try taping to be able to continue the Tae Kwon Do. Also, The blue foam pads for sleeping on when you are camping-- try using one of those at the dojo when you are simply standing and doing drills fo kicks and punches. It will help cushion the heels, which should help some also. I'm also following up with Reebock on a soft shoe which I saw in a promo a couple of months ago , which I think would be great for yoga and martial arts. As of a couple of weeks ago, they had not yet gone to production. Good luck! I do a deep water aerobic class which I love because I get a good workout with no impact.

maureen on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006587)

Dayna, where did you buy the pedifix? I just looked at their website, which is lame & has no pictures fo the products, etc. I'm interested in looking for the pedifix to see if it would be helpful to me. I've heard you mention it a couple of times, and i'm ready to try something new. Thanks!

Maura on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006602)

Thanks, Dayna and Maureen, for your suggestions. I spoke with my instructor today; he was very supportive and said that I should modify things as needed and can skip the 'jumpy' sorts of things, such as jumping jacks and leaping kicks and jumping when we turn from side to side. (I am already modifying things due to my tendonitis of the wrist; some of the other students must think that I have really bad form!! As other folks on this board have said before, I wish I could wear a sign that explains my condition...)

I will look into the pedifix. Today I bought some athletic tape and plan to try Scott's taping procedure. Also thought I'd give icing a try. For some reason my feet seem worse than usual for the past few days. Plus, the Russell cross-training sneakers--which seem to make my heels feel even more protected and less painful than my beloved Birkies--are leaving the tops of my feet feeling somewhat tingly, in an unpleasant way, almost like an odd neurological buzzing. Perhaps I am lacing them too tightly, or perhaps it is just because (since I have always preferred going barefoot)my feet are unused to being enclosed in shoes all day. I really HATE wearing shoes all the time!

Weight training sounds good. I've been meaning to start that for a while, to get my metabolism into a higher gear. My husband is all gung-ho to buy me a spiffy bike and a baby seat and have us all go out bicycling together, such a happy family. I am less enthusiastic, never having been a very good bicyclist. I also envision taking a tumble with the baby strapped on, and that scares me...(My husband would have our other son, age 4, on the back of his bike, most likely.) Plus, our old bikes having been stolen a few years ago, this would mean the expense of getting a bike!! But maybe I can borrow someone's for a while, just to see if I would use it before making an expensive purchase.

Boy do I wish I hadn't gained so much weight during my pregnancies!! 65 pounds with the first baby, 45 the second, and I am currently about 50-60 pounds overweight, depending on which chart you go by...My doctor said that losing some weight may improve the heel spur condition, but perhaps not. Now, too, I can't do the physical things that I used to love, like ballroom dancing or contra dancing--even walking aerobically is difficult. (whine, moan, complain)

Yvonne on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006604)

Hi, I am a fellow sufferer too! I enjoy vigerous exersise as well, and now miss it lots!! I tried the Tae Bo tapes, and find them pretty good. Most of it is low impact and some of it you have to modify, but to my surprize not too much.

Michelle on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006612)

I have been doing Tae Bo for about a month. It really seems to help and my foot Dr. said that it is a good idea. I agree on modifying the workout. The parts where you are suppose to bounce, I just stand there because I am afraid that I will do a lot of damage bouncing. Good Luck.

Dayna on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006615)

My podiatrist sells them. If you can't find them anywhere else, send me an email and we can make arrangements for me to get some and send them to you.

Re: Exercise Ideas from Anyone? Nursing mom tries to slim down!

lanie on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006657)

Maura,
I too, used to be heavily into aerobics, was not overweight at the time I got pf in my feet but have had to give it up because of the problems with my feet. I started gaining weight as a result because I could not find another type of exercise that did as well. As a result of this board I was led to the Atkins diet. I researched it by getting the book and now had my husband and myself on this Way of Eating. I've never enjoyed a diet more in my life. We are never hungry, and eat very well. If you are interested, feel free to email me, or contact me via im's (if on aol) and I will be glad to let you in on more. My puter had crashed so i'm a little late posting this to your response, so I hope you find it.

Have a great day.
lanie :)