Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Night Splints...I am green to this place

Posted by Yvonne on 5/06/99 at 00:00 (006605)

However, I am not green to PF. Sorry if the topic has been covered 1/2 million times already, I did try skim over previous messages.

I am new to this message place and it is a great resource.

Can any one give me any advise on the various night splints and ANY feed back on any of the products?! I live in Canada and just started the search on purchaseing it...think it may be a little challenging.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Maybe I can offer some advise on stretching, I sue the Pro Streth (along with others). My physio therapist sold it to me. I find I get a good stretch from it...but must be careful not to over do it!! It mimics putting your toes on a wall and hell on the ground, great calf and foot stretch! This way you don't have to mark up your walls at your home!

Thanks,
Yvonne

Re: Help! Night Splints...I am green to this place

Kris on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006606)

My physical therapist made mine for me. Fiberglass is the base material. very soft cotton lining. I put them on and wrap an ACE bandage around. I have used them everynight since mid February and just got new ones that are at a more severe angle to stretch my foot. I dont see that they help throughout the day, but they do help that 1st get out of bed in the morning pain! Good Luck

Jane on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006624)

I got my night splint through my doctor (Podiatric Med.) It is made by Johnson & Johnson and was around $65. I'm not sure what the inside is made of, maybe fiberglass, but it's covered with a washable cover and has a removable insert in the bottom to increase the angle when needed. It fastens with velcro straps. A little odd looking (bright blue!) but quite comfortable once you get used to it. I've found it quite helpful. Good luck!

bj on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006628)

My splint sounds just like Jane's. I got it from my orthopedic. After trying to wear it several nights, and having thigh and hip discomfort, I stopped. Just did not work for me. Excerises, stretches and icing have done the most for me. Good luck.

Kris on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006606)

My physical therapist made mine for me. Fiberglass is the base material. very soft cotton lining. I put them on and wrap an ACE bandage around. I have used them everynight since mid February and just got new ones that are at a more severe angle to stretch my foot. I dont see that they help throughout the day, but they do help that 1st get out of bed in the morning pain! Good Luck

Jane on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006624)

I got my night splint through my doctor (Podiatric Med.) It is made by Johnson & Johnson and was around $65. I'm not sure what the inside is made of, maybe fiberglass, but it's covered with a washable cover and has a removable insert in the bottom to increase the angle when needed. It fastens with velcro straps. A little odd looking (bright blue!) but quite comfortable once you get used to it. I've found it quite helpful. Good luck!

bj on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006628)

My splint sounds just like Jane's. I got it from my orthopedic. After trying to wear it several nights, and having thigh and hip discomfort, I stopped. Just did not work for me. Excerises, stretches and icing have done the most for me. Good luck.