Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthodics

Posted by Molly on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006614)

Sue: My orthodics don't resemble anything you mentioned. Isnt it funny how there are so many different kinds? Who decides which is the best? Mine is very hard plastic and stops in the middle of my foot, which is why I had to buy a toe cushion. It has a 1/2 inch heel on it. Good luck with your new orthodics Sue and yes, it will take time getting used to them and breaking them in.

Molly

Re: Orthodics

Flo on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005500)

Hi Michelle: I had a completely pain-free period of several years providing I wore orthotics. I have worn them for about ten years now. I have a sports style for my tennis shoes and a dress pair for shoes I wear to work...flats..but good ones. I don't even get up during the night without the orthotic. My feet go right into a shoe or slipper with the orthotic in them.

My first pair was leather. They were made after casting my feet. I wore them for years and they worked well. Then the pf really kicked up and I had surgery and then another pair...and I still wear them after five years. I got yet another pair (the dress ones) just a few months ago.

If it was not for the orthotics, I could not walk at all...not even a few steps to the bathroom. With them, I cannot say that I am pain free because I also have tarsal tunnel...but it makes the pf bearable.

Frankly, of all the cures I've tried (shots, surgery, orthotics, ad infinitum...) the orthotics have done me more good than anything else.
But if you read this board faithfully, as I do, you'll find that what works for one may not work for the other. Best of luck.

Dorothy on 3/13/99 at 00:00 (005524)

If these are custom made orthotics (made after casting your feet) the doctor should work on adjustments (without charge) until they are right. Sometimes it takes a long time. My doctor says that even when orthotics are 'right' they have to be checked periodically because some 'are time bombs waiting to explode' -- that is, orthotics that are worn out can cause new problems. Good luck.

julia on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003718)

I had shoe inserts that the Podiatrist gave me for $20 and they were okay for a while but they were just the soft inserts. I then went and bought the plastic orthotics made by Spenco. I bought them at Foot Locker for $30.00 and they have instructions to reshape them if necessary. I love them. Between the Spenco inserts in any of my shoes but work best in my sneakers and my Birkenstock sandals my feet sometimes do not hurt at all. If you are interested in the Birkenstock inserts you can contact Tony at Shoetree.com. He is very helpful. Good luck.

Janine on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003726)

If the orthotics shoe store is offering to make you a pair for $150, find out if they are custom (made directly to your casts) or customized (find a size on the shelf that is most like yours and cut the covers to fit your feet. If they are indeed custom, then you should go for those, as the $600 inserts might be exactly the same. I know for a fact that our orthotics that we sell (to the public) for $169.50 are sold by many doctors for $575+. They are the exact same orthotics. We had a guy come into the office last week who paid $1,000 for his last pair of orthotics, six years ago- and he had no insurance! If this practitioner was still in business today, who knows what he would be charging!

Good Luck,
Janine
http://www.orthotics.com

S. McKinney on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003739)

I have had PF for about 10 years, and I have tried Everything but
surgery. The first doctor sent me to a podiatrist and he recommended
orthodics and Birkenstocks. The sandals are GREAT and have done wonders. The first pair of orthodics I paid 200.00 for and they were
a pain because the inside of my shoe had to come out first. Then
when I went to the chiropractor he said they sold them & they were
60.00, molded to your foot and leather. They worked great. I now
have a 20.00 pair of birkenstock inserts and they work ok, but I
think my pain has gotten worse. I would try birkenstocks or the
chiropractor. Good Luck

Susan on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003744)

Your best bet will be New Balance shoes and orthotics. Ask about accomodative orthotics. They were explained to me as this: 'These are like braces for your feet just as you get braces for your teeth'. They help shape your foot to the right position. In my case I have a high arch and I know they affected my feet because now I can't wear the original orthotics that were made for my feet. New Balance shores are great. Get the type that are high on your ankle.

Mary on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003762)

were these orthotics made by a podiatrist? Did they help you?

Susan on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003849)

Actually, I bought them as I was wheeling myself around at the State Fair in Dallas Texas. I then showed them to my doctor who said that they were invented by a Canadian physician who didn'thave a patent and were produced in the US. They had fallen in disrepute because they were sold at state and county fairs. He said that they were excellent orthotics. They cost me $200. You can e mail them at footcare@gtenet or call (903) 984-1300. At first your feet with be sore (like braces on your teeth) but eventually they will feel better. I'd talk to them about how you can get your insurance to cover the cost.

Randy on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (003998)

I recently was fitted with orthotics (custom cast of my feet were made to make them). I've got flat feet so they are supposed to help. After about a week I have just gone back to my Birkenstocks exclusively. The orthotics just dig into my heel. The podiatrist adusted them once (they are made out of graphite) by heating and bending them. Still basically the same. I swear by the comfort Birks give, just wish I could wear my other shoes. I also tried the Birk. orthotics--they just weren't the same and I returned them--wish I could return these custom orthotics! They were $180!
Randy

Flo on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005500)

Hi Michelle: I had a completely pain-free period of several years providing I wore orthotics. I have worn them for about ten years now. I have a sports style for my tennis shoes and a dress pair for shoes I wear to work...flats..but good ones. I don't even get up during the night without the orthotic. My feet go right into a shoe or slipper with the orthotic in them.

My first pair was leather. They were made after casting my feet. I wore them for years and they worked well. Then the pf really kicked up and I had surgery and then another pair...and I still wear them after five years. I got yet another pair (the dress ones) just a few months ago.

If it was not for the orthotics, I could not walk at all...not even a few steps to the bathroom. With them, I cannot say that I am pain free because I also have tarsal tunnel...but it makes the pf bearable.

Frankly, of all the cures I've tried (shots, surgery, orthotics, ad infinitum...) the orthotics have done me more good than anything else.
But if you read this board faithfully, as I do, you'll find that what works for one may not work for the other. Best of luck.

Dorothy on 3/13/99 at 00:00 (005524)

If these are custom made orthotics (made after casting your feet) the doctor should work on adjustments (without charge) until they are right. Sometimes it takes a long time. My doctor says that even when orthotics are 'right' they have to be checked periodically because some 'are time bombs waiting to explode' -- that is, orthotics that are worn out can cause new problems. Good luck.