Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Strasburg sock increase sciatic pain?

Posted by Letty on 5/08/99 at 00:00 (006644)

I am in removable cast for PF for 8 days but couldn't sleep in it. Ordered Strasburg sock express mail and it looks great but tried sleeping in it and had sciatic pain down leg. Lugging this cast around has irritated previous back problem with sciatic pain so don't know if pulling the toes back with strasburg sock on that side can irritate that nerve. Anybody had this experience? I thought this was the best alternative for a soft night splint. Any other lightweight night splints available that don't pull the toes back? HELP?

Re: Does Strasburg sock increase sciatic pain?

Shelly on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006696)

Some time ago, I read (on this board) that the sock is great. This person said they tried it and at first it made the heel problem worse along with increased back pain and gave up. When he/she tried it again, they adjusted the sock really loose - looser than they thought it aught to be and it worked great. Give it a try and let me know how it works. I've been wearing my removable cast and it's a lug to sleep with for sure. I'm thinking about getting these sock gismos. -Shelly

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006747)

Shelly - I also loosed the sock and the sciatic pain stopped. I have had low back problems in the past and the removable case because it is so high has irritated the problem. The inexpensive Strassburg Sock is soft and easy to sleep. I don't know if it is helping yet and it seems to loosen up in terms of keeping the foot flexed by morning. I tried sleeping with the air cast and just could not do it. I'm now looking for another type of night splint that is not so heavy and easier to sleep with. Let you know if I find one. Good Luck!

Shelly on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006696)

Some time ago, I read (on this board) that the sock is great. This person said they tried it and at first it made the heel problem worse along with increased back pain and gave up. When he/she tried it again, they adjusted the sock really loose - looser than they thought it aught to be and it worked great. Give it a try and let me know how it works. I've been wearing my removable cast and it's a lug to sleep with for sure. I'm thinking about getting these sock gismos. -Shelly

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006747)

Shelly - I also loosed the sock and the sciatic pain stopped. I have had low back problems in the past and the removable case because it is so high has irritated the problem. The inexpensive Strassburg Sock is soft and easy to sleep. I don't know if it is helping yet and it seems to loosen up in terms of keeping the foot flexed by morning. I tried sleeping with the air cast and just could not do it. I'm now looking for another type of night splint that is not so heavy and easier to sleep with. Let you know if I find one. Good Luck!