Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about a night splint?????

Posted by me on 5/08/99 at 00:00 (006646)

Greeting all. I am presently suffering from PF. I think a 19 mile run in the hills is probably what precipitated it - as I usually run no hills. I am presently having new orthotis made (mine are several years old). I am also stretching more as well as massaging it by rolling my foot over a golf and/or tennis ball. I also have weekly massage. I ice after I run, but that seems to make it hurt more.
I have heard some things about the use of a night splint for PF. Any suggestions or words of encouragement???????

Re: What about a very Rigid Shoe?

John C. on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005605)

Last summer, at the worst of my PF, I took a 16 mile hike with a pair of very rigid hiking boots and a drug store arch support insert. I expected to suffer for this fun outing. Instead, my PF nearly disappeared for a week. At the time, I was totally dumbfounded. This past winter, when my PF was 80% gone, I spent a week skiing. Again, the ski boots with the same drug store arch support insert, made my PF get better. I believe that for me, any shoe that is very inflexible in the middle of the shoe and does not pull on the plantar is benefitial in letting the plantar heal and at the same time allow me to continue walking and doing the things I want to do. I have not tried the Birks, but I believe that part of why they work is their stiffness. For me, I will never buy any shoe without giving it a bending test. If it bends easily in the middle, I will keep looking.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005608)

John, I think you probably have the right idea here. I have heard that a rigid shoe is best (by the people who made my orthotics). I settled for a pair of running shoes that have a very rigid middle section (i.e., you cannot 'twist' them in the middle). I absolutely cannot wear anything without a cushion for my heels and my bunions.

And, Scott, thanks for your comments to my question. I do believe I will give that taping a try too.

Re: What about a night splint?????

Andi K on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006655)

I wear a night splint every night. It alleviates that pain you have when you first step out of bed in the morning. I'm not sure it's doing anything more for me than that. I find it comfortable to sleep in (it took 2-3 nights to get used to), so for me it's worth wearing. I got the splint from my physical Therapist. It's made by Johnson and Johnson orthopedics, light weight and secures with velcro.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Kris on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006673)

I agree with Andi exactly, same results with mine, and I got mine from my P.T. too!

Leon on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006694)

I can't really advise about different kinds of night splints, because I also got mine through my podiatrist. Fortunately,
insurance covered them so I didn't have to pay for them, since it didn't cover my orthotics. Anyway, it was my
understanding that the purpose of the night splints (at least for me) was to increase the flexibility in my ankles, which he
thought was connected to my p.f. When I went in last January, he measured my flexibility as -1 (whatever that means!).
Last week, he told me I could discontinue use (I was using them on both feet until about two weeks ago, when he told
me I could discontinue my left leg but continue on the right where I had the p.f.) because my flexibility was up to 15
(which I guess is better than normal). The ones I had did not stretch my foot in any kind of weird way, but kept my foot
from moving around while I was sleeping. I kept a log of the # of hours that I used them, and in the good leg (i.e., never
had p.f.) it was about 525 hours and 730 hours on the foot that originally had p.f. In combination with the orthotics, I
am now 95% better and have even begun running again! Take care.
P.S. - I know they don't work for everyone, but they worked for me.

John C. on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005605)

Last summer, at the worst of my PF, I took a 16 mile hike with a pair of very rigid hiking boots and a drug store arch support insert. I expected to suffer for this fun outing. Instead, my PF nearly disappeared for a week. At the time, I was totally dumbfounded. This past winter, when my PF was 80% gone, I spent a week skiing. Again, the ski boots with the same drug store arch support insert, made my PF get better. I believe that for me, any shoe that is very inflexible in the middle of the shoe and does not pull on the plantar is benefitial in letting the plantar heal and at the same time allow me to continue walking and doing the things I want to do. I have not tried the Birks, but I believe that part of why they work is their stiffness. For me, I will never buy any shoe without giving it a bending test. If it bends easily in the middle, I will keep looking.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005608)

John, I think you probably have the right idea here. I have heard that a rigid shoe is best (by the people who made my orthotics). I settled for a pair of running shoes that have a very rigid middle section (i.e., you cannot 'twist' them in the middle). I absolutely cannot wear anything without a cushion for my heels and my bunions.

And, Scott, thanks for your comments to my question. I do believe I will give that taping a try too.

Andi K on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006655)

I wear a night splint every night. It alleviates that pain you have when you first step out of bed in the morning. I'm not sure it's doing anything more for me than that. I find it comfortable to sleep in (it took 2-3 nights to get used to), so for me it's worth wearing. I got the splint from my physical Therapist. It's made by Johnson and Johnson orthopedics, light weight and secures with velcro.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Kris on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006673)

I agree with Andi exactly, same results with mine, and I got mine from my P.T. too!

Leon on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006694)

I can't really advise about different kinds of night splints, because I also got mine through my podiatrist. Fortunately,
insurance covered them so I didn't have to pay for them, since it didn't cover my orthotics. Anyway, it was my
understanding that the purpose of the night splints (at least for me) was to increase the flexibility in my ankles, which he
thought was connected to my p.f. When I went in last January, he measured my flexibility as -1 (whatever that means!).
Last week, he told me I could discontinue use (I was using them on both feet until about two weeks ago, when he told
me I could discontinue my left leg but continue on the right where I had the p.f.) because my flexibility was up to 15
(which I guess is better than normal). The ones I had did not stretch my foot in any kind of weird way, but kept my foot
from moving around while I was sleeping. I kept a log of the # of hours that I used them, and in the good leg (i.e., never
had p.f.) it was about 525 hours and 730 hours on the foot that originally had p.f. In combination with the orthotics, I
am now 95% better and have even begun running again! Take care.
P.S. - I know they don't work for everyone, but they worked for me.