Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where are the success stories ?

Posted by Elizabeth on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006656)

Greetings from Atlantic Canada (NB)

I have read most of the messages posted here looking for some encouragement. I am on the surgical list for both feet at once and hoping to return to work within 8 weeks. My job requires constant use of my feet (baker). If this procedure has such a low success rate why is it done ? I have had pf for 9 years following injury from aerobics, had orthotics for 8 yrs, refused injections and gained a lot of weight (285). I don't want to make a mistake that could cost me my job or put any more restrictions on my lifestyle. Are there any positive words out there ?

Re: Where are the success stories ?

Bea on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006659)

I don't know if there are any success stories or if once they are cured they no longer come to the site, however I certainly would not have both feet done at once. Have one done if you must and see how that comes out. If it is not successful you could be trapping yourself and unable to walk at all. The operation seems to have mixed results at best and to have both feet done at the same time is very, very risky

Shelly on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006695)

Some good news to share...
I had surgery on my right foot on February 11th after a nearly 3 year struggle with PF. After the surgery, I was off work for three weeks and was able to walk with a walking cast when I returned.
My job does not require constant standing (desk work) so you will probably need a longer recovery period than I did. I am VERY glad I went through with it. I too was nervous after reading this site...Lots of great advise but not too many success stories - as you pointed out. My doctor said there would be a 70% chance of complete relief if he performed the Facia release on my heel. He would NEVER do the arthiscopic procedure on the side due to the chance of permenant nerve damange. He suggested a procedure to lengthen the heel cord along with the release, said the chance for complete relief would go up to about 95-97%. I did both. At 2 months post surgery,
I am doing well. I am in Much Much less pain than before and it seems to be getting better each day.

Something to think about: It was really hard to get around and function with just the basics for the first two weeks...I'm talking about showering, getting a glass of water...stuff like that. And, I only had one foot done. I would reconsider having both at once...It may not be possible.

Good luck to you and everyone else who might read this. I truly understand the frustration and hopelessness this problem can create.

Take good care!

WANDA on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006710)

What a great story I am so glad for you What state are you from and what finally made you go ahead with the surgey. I 'd like to talk to your Dr sounds like he knows his stuff. Do you have pf in both feet if so is surgey for the other foot also? Im so proud for you be careful and God Bless

Bea on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006659)

I don't know if there are any success stories or if once they are cured they no longer come to the site, however I certainly would not have both feet done at once. Have one done if you must and see how that comes out. If it is not successful you could be trapping yourself and unable to walk at all. The operation seems to have mixed results at best and to have both feet done at the same time is very, very risky

Shelly on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006695)

Some good news to share...
I had surgery on my right foot on February 11th after a nearly 3 year struggle with PF. After the surgery, I was off work for three weeks and was able to walk with a walking cast when I returned.
My job does not require constant standing (desk work) so you will probably need a longer recovery period than I did. I am VERY glad I went through with it. I too was nervous after reading this site...Lots of great advise but not too many success stories - as you pointed out. My doctor said there would be a 70% chance of complete relief if he performed the Facia release on my heel. He would NEVER do the arthiscopic procedure on the side due to the chance of permenant nerve damange. He suggested a procedure to lengthen the heel cord along with the release, said the chance for complete relief would go up to about 95-97%. I did both. At 2 months post surgery,
I am doing well. I am in Much Much less pain than before and it seems to be getting better each day.

Something to think about: It was really hard to get around and function with just the basics for the first two weeks...I'm talking about showering, getting a glass of water...stuff like that. And, I only had one foot done. I would reconsider having both at once...It may not be possible.

Good luck to you and everyone else who might read this. I truly understand the frustration and hopelessness this problem can create.

Take good care!

WANDA on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006710)

What a great story I am so glad for you What state are you from and what finally made you go ahead with the surgey. I 'd like to talk to your Dr sounds like he knows his stuff. Do you have pf in both feet if so is surgey for the other foot also? Im so proud for you be careful and God Bless