Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rolfing?

Posted by Roberta on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006662)

Hello, I just read some of the comments and and I am starting to feel very discouraged. I got PF while training for a marathon about 3 months ago. I have had it before and it just kind of went away, that certainly doesn't seem to be the case this time. So far I have gotten a new orthotic, iced like crazy, and tried stretching.

My question: has anyone tried Rolfing. I had some work done last week on my lower legs and it felt like it was helping. I want to go back and get more work done but something wierd has happened to my ankle - probably unrelated, anyhow, I would like to know if anyone else has tried it.

Re: Rolfing?

Yvonne on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006672)

I was considering it my self. I spoke to someone who practices Heller Work, apperently is it the almost the same treatment. It has to do with deep massage of the facia, is my understanding. My family Doc said that it would only be temporary releif/breaking up of the scar tissue and that you could get the same bennefit by doing it at home. I was hoping for a better response, but maybe my Doc is not as open to alternative treatments as I am. Knowing what you are going through (same boat) I am willing to try anything now too.
I know this is not the reply you were looking for, sorry.
But I am very interested if you continue the treatment and what your out come is, and if you could share your feelings on the proceedure!!
thanx
Yvonne

Leon on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006692)

Roberta,
Sorry, I'm not familiar with rolfing (we used this term as slang for throwing up in high school, but I guess this is something different!). However, I had to respond because your description sounds so similar to mine. I also had a mild case a couple of years ago and like you said, it just kind of went away. This time was very different, and I too was training for a marathon (in Anchorage in June, although I've now given up on doing that one, at least this year). Anyway, as a fellow runner, I thought you might be interested in what I did to stay in shape while I was working on getting my p.f. better and how I got better (see separate post: 'Success-95% Cured!!'). I hope you improve and are able to run a marathon sometime in the future!

Yvonne on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006672)

I was considering it my self. I spoke to someone who practices Heller Work, apperently is it the almost the same treatment. It has to do with deep massage of the facia, is my understanding. My family Doc said that it would only be temporary releif/breaking up of the scar tissue and that you could get the same bennefit by doing it at home. I was hoping for a better response, but maybe my Doc is not as open to alternative treatments as I am. Knowing what you are going through (same boat) I am willing to try anything now too.
I know this is not the reply you were looking for, sorry.
But I am very interested if you continue the treatment and what your out come is, and if you could share your feelings on the proceedure!!
thanx
Yvonne

Leon on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006692)

Roberta,
Sorry, I'm not familiar with rolfing (we used this term as slang for throwing up in high school, but I guess this is something different!). However, I had to respond because your description sounds so similar to mine. I also had a mild case a couple of years ago and like you said, it just kind of went away. This time was very different, and I too was training for a marathon (in Anchorage in June, although I've now given up on doing that one, at least this year). Anyway, as a fellow runner, I thought you might be interested in what I did to stay in shape while I was working on getting my p.f. better and how I got better (see separate post: 'Success-95% Cured!!'). I hope you improve and are able to run a marathon sometime in the future!