Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is PF hereditary? My mom had it too, I discovered!

Posted by Maura on 5/09/99 at 00:00 (006671)

Is the propensity for PF hereditary? Not that it makes any actual difference to my situation, neither does it aid in any 'cure' of the PF, but I am curious. Anyone else have it in the family?

I remembered that my mother had had severe, crippling pain in one foot a year or so ago, due to exercising (step aerobics) in bare feet. It was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. She had a cortizone shot, which eased her pain for about 6 weeks, and has worn gel inserts, plus done stretching exercises and NSAIDS, plus avoided impact exercises ever since. Though initially she could not walk except with crutches, she says that she is fine now.

When I talked to my Dr (which was during a consultation about my unrelated wrist tendonitis! I suddenly realized that perhaps I could ask my doc about the severe, daily pain I felt in my feet upon getting out of bed, which was worsening...) he said it sounded like heel spurs , and to avoid going barefoot, wear good shoes, and try heel inserts. But the heel inserts from the drugstore are pathetic! worse than useless, just annoying. They aren't padded enough, and one of them actually irritated my heels worse than nothing.

Anyway, I ran Scott's list of suggested treatments by my mother, and she kept saying, 'oh yes, my doctor told me that too.' But she was not too helpful about giving me any new tips, and since her PF seemed to magically go away, her experience has not helped me except in giving us that extra bond of PF camaraderie...

Re: Is PF hereditary? My mom had it too, I discovered!

CrabbyAss2 on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006676)

Maura, My Father and 3 sisters also have had PF. Theirs did not last as long or was as severe as mine. I have asked 3 Dr.'s if there is a hereditary factor and none could confirm it. Seems like the Dr.'s don't know a whole lot about this. I also have wrist tendonitis and a skin rash on my arms and chest area, I haven't found if any of these things are related to the PF but thought I'd mention it.
Marie

kelus on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006682)

Maura, my mother also has PF. We are quite a pair, hobbleing everywhere we go together, and never feeling like getting housework done....(you should see our house).
Mine is alot worse than hers; mine is always there, hers comes and goes.

bye, Kelus

CrabbyAss2 on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006676)

Maura, My Father and 3 sisters also have had PF. Theirs did not last as long or was as severe as mine. I have asked 3 Dr.'s if there is a hereditary factor and none could confirm it. Seems like the Dr.'s don't know a whole lot about this. I also have wrist tendonitis and a skin rash on my arms and chest area, I haven't found if any of these things are related to the PF but thought I'd mention it.
Marie

kelus on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006682)

Maura, my mother also has PF. We are quite a pair, hobbleing everywhere we go together, and never feeling like getting housework done....(you should see our house).
Mine is alot worse than hers; mine is always there, hers comes and goes.

bye, Kelus