Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Yvonne on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006701)

I have never heard of her, but i may check in to it!
I have had it all my life that I can remember...but have been in constant discomfort for about 4-5 yrs. I got into playing soccer agian (love the sport to no end! and miss it likeyou wouldn't beleive)and over did it a few too many times (just a little competative??) and now can't even go grocery shopping with out hurting.
I found physio with accupuncture helped (E'clair market), about 3 yrs ago I couldnt walk up stairs and after a few treatments of accu i was able to go up and down again. I have been desperate again and have been focusing on stretching, self massage, rest, ice, and wearing my orthos/runners more full time the last few days, almost a week and has helped me quite a bit, atleast I can stand more that 10 minutes before it hurts again. Usually in the day's at home or when it is really hot i wear birks too, thinking of buying a pair of 'super birkis' (the rubber clogs) have you had them before? they seem like they would be more economical and you can buy replacemnt foot beds for 20$ or so.
I am still unable to run and go shopping for any periods of time but atleast i am in a little better shape.
I don't think any orthodic has really helped the pf directly, but i have flat pronating feet so i would be in a wheel chair with out them, I am sure they do more help than i think!
Went to Vegas last year...what a mistake, I was dying after the first 3 hrs of being there! bye the 3rd day i had shooting pains from my heel going up my leg! scared the crap out of me.
I too have spent thousands of dollars on orthodics and physio.
I am going to try a naturopath soon i think. I think my biggest frusteration is going from doc to doc after 'you try it out for a month, then come back and see me', i felt i was missing so much work and no life other thatn this and running here and there all the time, with no results..so i stopped going.
My family doc advised me to try night splints...that should be intersting!!
Sorry for rambling on and on....
hope some of this helps!
Yvonne

Re: reply

Trish on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006709)

Thanks for your response. I think I'll try to book in with Dr. Hopper and I'll let you know how it turns out. I can empathize with you totally, I know how hard it is to give up activities you really love. I am a dance teacher (tap, jazz) and it's the only job I truly enjoy, and of course I need my feet for it. There are many reasons I haven't given it up: 1. I am off every year from mid-June until mid-Sept. and it doesn't get any better. You would think a 3 month break would make a difference. In fact it often seems worse in the summer. Go figure, eh? 2. It's my only source of income and I'm just getting divorced, and I get spousal support for only 1 more yr. I have a 7 yr. old son. So I'm trying to get into another line of work, but that's another story alogehter.3. I have suffered from depression a lot these past few years and dancing is one of the only things (besides anti-depressant drugs) which boosts my self-esteem and outlook naturally. Pretty hard to give that up at this point in my life. Anyway sorry to hear you had to give up soccer. Are you into cycling at all? I have found it doesn't bother my feet at all and got quite fanatical a couple of summers ago and cycled over 2000 km. Then I injured my wrist(another saga). That has mostly healed but I can't cycle to the extreme I used to. However, this past winter I have gained another 5-10 lbs. and feel so out of shape that I'm having a hard time even getting on the bike. Anyway, if you haven't tried cycling, do consider it. I know I'm rambling, but sometimes you just have to vent....and believe me the people in my life are tired of hearig it!

Yvonne on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006715)

Thanks for the reply!
I do like biking...even got this cool seat so my butt does not get sore. My problem is I don't live by any bike routs (hard to lug a bike around in a little car) and dont like riding on the road. After a few people have been accosted when biking/running I am hesitant on going alone on the major bike paths. Not to mention I need a new bike... always something wrong with it and I am not handy in that way at all! I always have this vision it will break down (far away)and hubby won't be ther it put it back together and then I am stuck walking - which is all I need! I am unemployed right now and cannot justify buying a new bike. I have tendonitis in both wrists and noticed biking aggrivated it the other day when i went for 30 min. ride, yet another problem LOL.
I have considered a biking club or something which you have to train for and then you are more motivated... I have been going deep water running 1-2 times a week and trying to get the weight down too.
Boy am I a whiner and excuse maker!! Well, I will get my bike in for a tune up and stuff and then I have no excuses!! I don't plan to work full time until fall, so I can try atleast!
Thanks for listening!
YVonne

Diane F. on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006756)

Trish, what about child support? If your son is only 7 years old he is required to still support his son, that would help a little while you change jobs. I hope things will get better for you, good luck.

Trish on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006796)

Yes, I do get child support, but that's not enough to support 2 people. My ex is relaible about giving it, thank goodness. Anyway it's $382.00 per month (Canadian), so I still need to make $$$ after my spousal support runs out next year. The child support continues until my son is 18 yrs. old

Diane F. on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006855)

Oh thought the child support was what you were talking about running out. know what you mean about not enough with the support, it just help me make the bills, have help with my rent or would be on the street and with my feet would not have lasted too long. Good luck on job hunting! Hope things improve!

Trish on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006709)

Thanks for your response. I think I'll try to book in with Dr. Hopper and I'll let you know how it turns out. I can empathize with you totally, I know how hard it is to give up activities you really love. I am a dance teacher (tap, jazz) and it's the only job I truly enjoy, and of course I need my feet for it. There are many reasons I haven't given it up: 1. I am off every year from mid-June until mid-Sept. and it doesn't get any better. You would think a 3 month break would make a difference. In fact it often seems worse in the summer. Go figure, eh? 2. It's my only source of income and I'm just getting divorced, and I get spousal support for only 1 more yr. I have a 7 yr. old son. So I'm trying to get into another line of work, but that's another story alogehter.3. I have suffered from depression a lot these past few years and dancing is one of the only things (besides anti-depressant drugs) which boosts my self-esteem and outlook naturally. Pretty hard to give that up at this point in my life. Anyway sorry to hear you had to give up soccer. Are you into cycling at all? I have found it doesn't bother my feet at all and got quite fanatical a couple of summers ago and cycled over 2000 km. Then I injured my wrist(another saga). That has mostly healed but I can't cycle to the extreme I used to. However, this past winter I have gained another 5-10 lbs. and feel so out of shape that I'm having a hard time even getting on the bike. Anyway, if you haven't tried cycling, do consider it. I know I'm rambling, but sometimes you just have to vent....and believe me the people in my life are tired of hearig it!

Yvonne on 5/10/99 at 00:00 (006715)

Thanks for the reply!
I do like biking...even got this cool seat so my butt does not get sore. My problem is I don't live by any bike routs (hard to lug a bike around in a little car) and dont like riding on the road. After a few people have been accosted when biking/running I am hesitant on going alone on the major bike paths. Not to mention I need a new bike... always something wrong with it and I am not handy in that way at all! I always have this vision it will break down (far away)and hubby won't be ther it put it back together and then I am stuck walking - which is all I need! I am unemployed right now and cannot justify buying a new bike. I have tendonitis in both wrists and noticed biking aggrivated it the other day when i went for 30 min. ride, yet another problem LOL.
I have considered a biking club or something which you have to train for and then you are more motivated... I have been going deep water running 1-2 times a week and trying to get the weight down too.
Boy am I a whiner and excuse maker!! Well, I will get my bike in for a tune up and stuff and then I have no excuses!! I don't plan to work full time until fall, so I can try atleast!
Thanks for listening!
YVonne

Diane F. on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006756)

Trish, what about child support? If your son is only 7 years old he is required to still support his son, that would help a little while you change jobs. I hope things will get better for you, good luck.

Trish on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006796)

Yes, I do get child support, but that's not enough to support 2 people. My ex is relaible about giving it, thank goodness. Anyway it's $382.00 per month (Canadian), so I still need to make $$$ after my spousal support runs out next year. The child support continues until my son is 18 yrs. old

Diane F. on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006855)

Oh thought the child support was what you were talking about running out. know what you mean about not enough with the support, it just help me make the bills, have help with my rent or would be on the street and with my feet would not have lasted too long. Good luck on job hunting! Hope things improve!