Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Disgusted and dejected!

Posted by Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006746)

I hit a low point yesterday. After 10 days in a removable cast and feeling much better, my casted foot started to hurt again. I am not a depressive person, but realized that this problem is so pervasive that my life as I knew it is over. I just have to face it - its over! No more hiking in the Cascades, walking for exercise or interest on trips, excursions, etc. I can't walk two blocks without severe pain in my right foot and some in my left. Everything helps for a while and then the pain returns. It frustrates me that no one other than those on this board and Scott seem to be interested in or care greatly about our dilemna. Its pretty depressing!

Maybe we need a national organization for Plantar Fasciitis sufferers that could also provide information on the disorder, treatment information and possible lobby for someone in the medical/surgical community to really pay attention to this serious but not life-threatening disorder which affects all areas of your life. One of the reasons so many people post messages that are repetitive is that they are frantically searching for that 'one more' possible treatment which will cure them and they can return to a normal life. Scott has done a wonderful job compiling information for all of us but many sufferers don't have computers or know how to find the site and fall between the cracks in medical treatment.

I don't know about the rest of you (and I am married to an M.D.)but when you talk to orthopedic docs and even podiatrists their eyes glaze over, they avert their eyes and shake their heads as if we have a disorder that is hopeless. Is it hopeless?? I am beginning to think so and am feeling very low, depressed and wondering how I will survive physically and emotionally unable to walk any distance. I know - I know - it could be much worse and it is not a fatal disease. But it is so life altering that for me it has ended my previously active life. I guess I just have to accept a sedentary lifestyle and look for new ways to enjoy living that do not involve doing things that require me to WALK ON MY FEET, STAND OR BE PHYSICALLY ACTIVE! It's the pits!

Re: Disgusted and dejected!

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006748)

Just for info - the things I have tried over the last year: heat, ice, rolling pin, juice can, massage (myself and professional), set of 3 cortisone shots in both feet, anti-inflammatories including a course of prednisone, taping, night splints, stretching, Birks, New Balance, orthotics, heel cups, over the counter orthotics, heel cushions, casting, rest, MSN, supplements, capsasain lotion,etc.etc............

ken on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006749)

sounds like you have tried everything. Have you considered surgery? there are a few different types?I too have tried everything to cure this with no results and I am opting for the surgery.Even if it doesn;t work, at least I can tell myself that I tried everything and will go on from there.

Good luck Ken

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006753)

Thanks Ken. I guess that is my next step but after some of the things I have heard here, I am afraid of surgery but if that is the only chance I have of regaining my life style, maybe it unavoidable. I see my podiatrist tomorrow and will discuss it in depth with her. My medical plan will not cover the surgery although I may be able to get my orthopod to do it. Although he wasn't optimistic about its chances for success.

Robin on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006755)

Hi Letty -- and amen. You said it about as well as anyone has. I share your discouragement; there are just days when I think, 'Enough already!' I just want it over and I want it over now. I agree -- the attitude of the world at large about this condition is very discouraging. Personally, I haven't found anyone who genuinely understands what PF is about (except people on this board) -- not friends, not family, not doctors. To 99% of the world, aching feet is what you have when you wear cheap shoes for 4 hours. A little warm water soak and it's gone by morning. Except not for any of us.

I too find it extremely frustrating to have to plan my whole life based on my feet. Last weekend I went shopping for some new CDs. After roaming around Best Buy for an hour and a half, I then wanted to go to the bookstore -- but I knew my on-my-feet quota for the afternoon was almost over so I had to head home. It is so terribly hard to have been an active and outgoing person, and then to have to manage this ugly little condition. Without being fatal or disfiguring, it still rules every part of my life. Everything I do, everywhere I go -- homework, leisure, shopping, groceries, banking and errands -- it all gets allocated and planned now. Moderation is king.

I am really debating the surgery issue. Increasingly many people have posted to this board who have enjoyed a great deal of success with surgery. For me, it's not out of the question. But -- I'm not leaping into it either. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst), I have pretty much brought my foot pain down to a 5 or 6 with Birkenstocks, glucosamine, zero stretching and pitifully little icing, caution and reason. I manage the basics of life and even some frivolities -- but I don't manage the athletics and hiking and walking. Of course, my fear is that if I spring for the surgery -- I could end up worse than I am now. Tough decision -- so for now I am making it by not making it. To me, surgery is like quitting a job or suicide -- you can always do it tomorrow morning if you still wanna'. For me, one of the puzzling difficulties with some improvement is that I now don't want to risk losing the progress I have made, even if it's not a 'cure.'

Try to keep the faith, Letty. It's strange the way so many of us are bound to each other by our common foot pain -- but thank God for it too.

Bea on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006761)

I understand your frustration but the idea of having surgury just so you can feel you tried everything is a little short sighted. Remember you can wind up in worst shape. Read past messages and think it over for a long time before you decide on surgury.

Mary Ann on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006764)

Letty, I agree with you that maybe someone needs to do something about getting research done on this, I wouldn't know what to do. Does you husband have any thoughts about this? Since he is a doctor? You certainly have tried many,many things and still sound like you are in alot of pain.

By the way, where are you from when you walk in the Cascades?

Hank on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006770)

Letty,
Try acupuncture before surgery. I just started it and believe
it holds some promise. I'm a skeptic when it comes to alternative
approaches but I'm also like you and really want to get back to
the same lifestyle as I had before. I just got back from a day and
a half of flyfishing (i.e. climbing over rocks, etc.) and am doing
well (still have some pain but not too bad). Don't give up on
getting back to hiking...
best regards, Hank

Letty on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006784)

I live in Puyallup, Wash. and we used to regular hike in Mt. Rainier National Park and all over the Cascades and some in the Olympics. We are about 30 miles from Mt. Rainier.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
Letty

Rebecca on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006786)

In understand your frustration, i did some pretty major venting myself a few posts up. Like you, i used to be physically active, my great joy in life was long hikes and trecks through woods and jungles. Now i'm glad when i can get through the day.

Hang in there! I know it's hard.

(((hugs)))

Rebecca

troy on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006839)

hang in there. i know what your going through. iv been fighting for 4 yrs. and i think ive finaly got a handle on it, i live in rochester minn(home of the great mayo clinic, and they couldnt help me they said,then i found out if i needed a heart they could! so i went too chiropractors and learned lots. foot doctors also helped some. time is what heals. (heels) and some help on the side. contact me for some info, looking forward too hearing from you.

Teresa on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006886)

Robin,
Having the surgery is quite a step. One not to be taken lightly. Last November I had the surgery and up until April I was thinking that it had been a mistake. I had been through the shots, stretching exercises, anti-inflamatories and inserts. Finally, I went to a podiatrist who was totally up front about PF. He said that since I had tried everything else the only alternatives were to either have the surgery or just live with the pain. I took about 3 months to decide. After 3 months of putting off the surgery I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I had the surgery and the doctor had found that I had been suffering from this condition for so long that the inflamation had calcified. He said that he was amazed that I had been able to function for so long. I work as a baker and so I am on my feet 8 or more hours per day. After the surgery I felt, for months, that it had been a waste of time but just in the last 6 weeks that I have experienced some improvement. I will never be 100 percent but it's amazing how even the slightest improvement is so encouraging.
Hang in there and the best of luck to you all.

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006748)

Just for info - the things I have tried over the last year: heat, ice, rolling pin, juice can, massage (myself and professional), set of 3 cortisone shots in both feet, anti-inflammatories including a course of prednisone, taping, night splints, stretching, Birks, New Balance, orthotics, heel cups, over the counter orthotics, heel cushions, casting, rest, MSN, supplements, capsasain lotion,etc.etc............

ken on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006749)

sounds like you have tried everything. Have you considered surgery? there are a few different types?I too have tried everything to cure this with no results and I am opting for the surgery.Even if it doesn;t work, at least I can tell myself that I tried everything and will go on from there.

Good luck Ken

Letty on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006753)

Thanks Ken. I guess that is my next step but after some of the things I have heard here, I am afraid of surgery but if that is the only chance I have of regaining my life style, maybe it unavoidable. I see my podiatrist tomorrow and will discuss it in depth with her. My medical plan will not cover the surgery although I may be able to get my orthopod to do it. Although he wasn't optimistic about its chances for success.

Robin on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006755)

Hi Letty -- and amen. You said it about as well as anyone has. I share your discouragement; there are just days when I think, 'Enough already!' I just want it over and I want it over now. I agree -- the attitude of the world at large about this condition is very discouraging. Personally, I haven't found anyone who genuinely understands what PF is about (except people on this board) -- not friends, not family, not doctors. To 99% of the world, aching feet is what you have when you wear cheap shoes for 4 hours. A little warm water soak and it's gone by morning. Except not for any of us.

I too find it extremely frustrating to have to plan my whole life based on my feet. Last weekend I went shopping for some new CDs. After roaming around Best Buy for an hour and a half, I then wanted to go to the bookstore -- but I knew my on-my-feet quota for the afternoon was almost over so I had to head home. It is so terribly hard to have been an active and outgoing person, and then to have to manage this ugly little condition. Without being fatal or disfiguring, it still rules every part of my life. Everything I do, everywhere I go -- homework, leisure, shopping, groceries, banking and errands -- it all gets allocated and planned now. Moderation is king.

I am really debating the surgery issue. Increasingly many people have posted to this board who have enjoyed a great deal of success with surgery. For me, it's not out of the question. But -- I'm not leaping into it either. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst), I have pretty much brought my foot pain down to a 5 or 6 with Birkenstocks, glucosamine, zero stretching and pitifully little icing, caution and reason. I manage the basics of life and even some frivolities -- but I don't manage the athletics and hiking and walking. Of course, my fear is that if I spring for the surgery -- I could end up worse than I am now. Tough decision -- so for now I am making it by not making it. To me, surgery is like quitting a job or suicide -- you can always do it tomorrow morning if you still wanna'. For me, one of the puzzling difficulties with some improvement is that I now don't want to risk losing the progress I have made, even if it's not a 'cure.'

Try to keep the faith, Letty. It's strange the way so many of us are bound to each other by our common foot pain -- but thank God for it too.

Bea on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006761)

I understand your frustration but the idea of having surgury just so you can feel you tried everything is a little short sighted. Remember you can wind up in worst shape. Read past messages and think it over for a long time before you decide on surgury.

Mary Ann on 5/11/99 at 00:00 (006764)

Letty, I agree with you that maybe someone needs to do something about getting research done on this, I wouldn't know what to do. Does you husband have any thoughts about this? Since he is a doctor? You certainly have tried many,many things and still sound like you are in alot of pain.

By the way, where are you from when you walk in the Cascades?

Hank on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006770)

Letty,
Try acupuncture before surgery. I just started it and believe
it holds some promise. I'm a skeptic when it comes to alternative
approaches but I'm also like you and really want to get back to
the same lifestyle as I had before. I just got back from a day and
a half of flyfishing (i.e. climbing over rocks, etc.) and am doing
well (still have some pain but not too bad). Don't give up on
getting back to hiking...
best regards, Hank

Letty on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006784)

I live in Puyallup, Wash. and we used to regular hike in Mt. Rainier National Park and all over the Cascades and some in the Olympics. We are about 30 miles from Mt. Rainier.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
Letty

Rebecca on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006786)

In understand your frustration, i did some pretty major venting myself a few posts up. Like you, i used to be physically active, my great joy in life was long hikes and trecks through woods and jungles. Now i'm glad when i can get through the day.

Hang in there! I know it's hard.

(((hugs)))

Rebecca

troy on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006839)

hang in there. i know what your going through. iv been fighting for 4 yrs. and i think ive finaly got a handle on it, i live in rochester minn(home of the great mayo clinic, and they couldnt help me they said,then i found out if i needed a heart they could! so i went too chiropractors and learned lots. foot doctors also helped some. time is what heals. (heels) and some help on the side. contact me for some info, looking forward too hearing from you.

Teresa on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006886)

Robin,
Having the surgery is quite a step. One not to be taken lightly. Last November I had the surgery and up until April I was thinking that it had been a mistake. I had been through the shots, stretching exercises, anti-inflamatories and inserts. Finally, I went to a podiatrist who was totally up front about PF. He said that since I had tried everything else the only alternatives were to either have the surgery or just live with the pain. I took about 3 months to decide. After 3 months of putting off the surgery I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I had the surgery and the doctor had found that I had been suffering from this condition for so long that the inflamation had calcified. He said that he was amazed that I had been able to function for so long. I work as a baker and so I am on my feet 8 or more hours per day. After the surgery I felt, for months, that it had been a waste of time but just in the last 6 weeks that I have experienced some improvement. I will never be 100 percent but it's amazing how even the slightest improvement is so encouraging.
Hang in there and the best of luck to you all.