Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

where to start

Posted by lisa on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006803)

i found your site by accident and am amazed at how much can be done by me. i have pain in my left heel and am overweight (of course the pain makes me not want to exercise). where should i start? i was going to buy the birkenstock shoes. anything you can offer (mistakes..sucesses..) would be appreciated.

Re: where to start

Alicia on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006809)

Lisa: Find a stationary bike or regular bike or start swimming. These activities are not weight bearing and will not be so painful as trying to walk or do aerobic classes. This will make you generally feel better and you can begin to lose some of the weight. Take a hard look at your diet - get rid of the junk and eat lots of fresh fruit, vegetables (this is the perfect time of year to find lots of these) and lean meat and whole grains. You know, the basic 'good way of eating'. Stretch your plantar fascia, ice when your feet feel really bad. Rest when you can and read EVERYTHING you can find on this website about all the different methods we use to fight this thing. Stretching, ice and 3-4000 mg of vitamin C a day are what is helping me. I've had PF in both feet for 6 years REALLY BAD. The vitamin C is really making a difference with me, but doesn't work with everyone. Good luck

Sue on 5/13/99 at 00:00 (006813)

I started by getting Birk Arizona sandals. They did not work for me at all. After all the glowing reports, I still try to wear them. I wear them around the house for an hour for a couple of days and I end up with severe back pain.

Jenny Lewis on 5/13/99 at 00:00 (006814)

Hi Lisa

Really sorry to have to say welcome. However, reading the messages on this website have been SO helpful and encouraging, even though at first I was a bit unnerved to see how many people are hobbling about, and how long the pain has lasted for some!

Go back through as many of the messages as you can, and check out the document by Scott. If you go back through the messages, you will see that my name is usually followed by praise for Birkenstocks, my heroes.... They don't suit everyone, so try to walk around in the store in a few different styles before buying. Expensive, but for me worth every penny I've spent (I now have 3 pairs, but luckily the first pair I got was at a very reduced price!) I also got the blue inserts which fit in some of my 'ordinary' shoes, but I now find that I don't use them so often, prefer the actual Birks shoes.

When it first started I went to my doctor, had the foot x-rayed which confirmed it was a spur, but he was very unhelpful, and apart from telling me to take anti-inflammatories (they didn't help), he said 'nothing can be done about it'. I intended to find another doctor, but for various other reasons the past few months have been a bit difficult for me and I haven't managed to do so yet (Yes, I know that sounds feeble, but I really have had other priorities!)

It's now been about 6 months since the pain appeared, my foot feels a lot better, I don't limp as much, and some days feel almost 'normal'.

I don't do much exercise apart from swimming. Everyone tells me this is one of the best forms of exercise there is, so even though I'm not a very good swimmer, at least I feel I'm doing the right thing!

Lots of luck and I hope you find some relief soon.

troy on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006840)

ice slow down blood, and healing, if your not in too much pain use warm water not hot too keep the blood moving. And strech the foot and the lower leg SLOWLY!!! and dont over do it. Birks didnt help me but this is recent too your body. Try a custom orthotic, they sound expencive but there not. i have mine made by a shoe maker. hang in there. I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006860)

Hi -- I agree with this -- read as much as you can from the posted messages and from Scott's pages -- I've had PF in both feet for 10+ years and had surgery in my right foot. I tried everything. For me, ice is a life-saver! Every night -- and sometimes during the day if need be -- I put my feet up and put ice on them for 20 minutes. This cuts down on the inflammation and swelling and can get me through another hour or two.
I was an NSAID-taker, was. Now I take many of the natural supplements mentioned in Scott's page and have found that it takes a lot longer before I feel the swelling, burning and tingling in my feet. They also help with my mental well-being.
Eat healthy, this will help your mental well-being, too, so that this PF does not get you down.
I found so much more advice and many suggestions from all the posts here -- recent and previous, so don't be afraid to spend a little time to go back and read the old posts -- that I got more information than from my Dr.
Be patient. This thing can stress you if you let it.
Lisa from Naples

Alicia on 5/12/99 at 00:00 (006809)

Lisa: Find a stationary bike or regular bike or start swimming. These activities are not weight bearing and will not be so painful as trying to walk or do aerobic classes. This will make you generally feel better and you can begin to lose some of the weight. Take a hard look at your diet - get rid of the junk and eat lots of fresh fruit, vegetables (this is the perfect time of year to find lots of these) and lean meat and whole grains. You know, the basic 'good way of eating'. Stretch your plantar fascia, ice when your feet feel really bad. Rest when you can and read EVERYTHING you can find on this website about all the different methods we use to fight this thing. Stretching, ice and 3-4000 mg of vitamin C a day are what is helping me. I've had PF in both feet for 6 years REALLY BAD. The vitamin C is really making a difference with me, but doesn't work with everyone. Good luck

Sue on 5/13/99 at 00:00 (006813)

I started by getting Birk Arizona sandals. They did not work for me at all. After all the glowing reports, I still try to wear them. I wear them around the house for an hour for a couple of days and I end up with severe back pain.

Jenny Lewis on 5/13/99 at 00:00 (006814)

Hi Lisa

Really sorry to have to say welcome. However, reading the messages on this website have been SO helpful and encouraging, even though at first I was a bit unnerved to see how many people are hobbling about, and how long the pain has lasted for some!

Go back through as many of the messages as you can, and check out the document by Scott. If you go back through the messages, you will see that my name is usually followed by praise for Birkenstocks, my heroes.... They don't suit everyone, so try to walk around in the store in a few different styles before buying. Expensive, but for me worth every penny I've spent (I now have 3 pairs, but luckily the first pair I got was at a very reduced price!) I also got the blue inserts which fit in some of my 'ordinary' shoes, but I now find that I don't use them so often, prefer the actual Birks shoes.

When it first started I went to my doctor, had the foot x-rayed which confirmed it was a spur, but he was very unhelpful, and apart from telling me to take anti-inflammatories (they didn't help), he said 'nothing can be done about it'. I intended to find another doctor, but for various other reasons the past few months have been a bit difficult for me and I haven't managed to do so yet (Yes, I know that sounds feeble, but I really have had other priorities!)

It's now been about 6 months since the pain appeared, my foot feels a lot better, I don't limp as much, and some days feel almost 'normal'.

I don't do much exercise apart from swimming. Everyone tells me this is one of the best forms of exercise there is, so even though I'm not a very good swimmer, at least I feel I'm doing the right thing!

Lots of luck and I hope you find some relief soon.

troy on 5/14/99 at 00:00 (006840)

ice slow down blood, and healing, if your not in too much pain use warm water not hot too keep the blood moving. And strech the foot and the lower leg SLOWLY!!! and dont over do it. Birks didnt help me but this is recent too your body. Try a custom orthotic, they sound expencive but there not. i have mine made by a shoe maker. hang in there. I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006860)

Hi -- I agree with this -- read as much as you can from the posted messages and from Scott's pages -- I've had PF in both feet for 10+ years and had surgery in my right foot. I tried everything. For me, ice is a life-saver! Every night -- and sometimes during the day if need be -- I put my feet up and put ice on them for 20 minutes. This cuts down on the inflammation and swelling and can get me through another hour or two.
I was an NSAID-taker, was. Now I take many of the natural supplements mentioned in Scott's page and have found that it takes a lot longer before I feel the swelling, burning and tingling in my feet. They also help with my mental well-being.
Eat healthy, this will help your mental well-being, too, so that this PF does not get you down.
I found so much more advice and many suggestions from all the posts here -- recent and previous, so don't be afraid to spend a little time to go back and read the old posts -- that I got more information than from my Dr.
Be patient. This thing can stress you if you let it.
Lisa from Naples