Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Still looking for success stories

Posted by Elizabeth on 5/13/99 at 00:00 (006830)

Hi !

I want to thank Bea and Kelus for their replies and advice. I can see your point about having only one foot done at a time. I am extremely apprehensive about this procedure and will not go ahead with it until I am comfortable.

I have noticed pain starting in the achilles area. What causes this ? I don't even know how to walk properly anymore. I wander all over the place which I thought might be weakness in the ankles. Are there exercises for that ? I think I have changed how I walk over the years to minimize pain that I have forgotten how I am supposed to walk.

I am so glad that I have found this site. My family has no idea of the pain when I get up to walk and are tired of hearing it. It is easier for them to consider me lazy. I can't imagine being totally at their mercy if I had surgery on both feet at once.

I have appointments with two other surgeons in the next two months to get their opinions. I have hope that other methods would work eg Birks,vitamins etc.

Thanks to all who read this just for being out there.

Re: Still looking for success stories

Bea on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006858)

I think it is smart to see other surgeons. Also try glucosomine, and icing I find is very helpful. Also stretching excercises. Read the board and try everything you can & maybe you can find some relief. As we have all said the biggest problem with this thing is that it seems to be different for everyone & there is no one thing that will work for everyone. Good Luck.

Nancy in MD on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006869)

Hi Elizabeth. My doctor told me that he did not want to operate on my feet, but I know down the road that I will have to have surgery. It is your decision. I can definitely understand about the family thing. I am very lucky that my family understands the PF problem. But, sometimes they forget and I have to remind them. If your family starts in on you, print out some of the info off of this site and let them read it. Maybe it's because they don't totally understand what PF is.
When my feet are absolutely killing me, I take a HOT bath and stretch my feet from a 90 degree angle back to a relaxed position. Another thing that I found that makes my ankles and achilles feel better is writing the alphabet (yes, the alphabet!) in the air with my feet. I know that it sounds weird, but when your feel and ankles are really tired or hurting, it does help. The way that I do it is find a chair (such as a bar stool type) that your feet don't touch the ground. Then I point the front of my foot towards the ground, and while 'writing' each letter, I stretch and relax my foot. I try to do it slow that I can stretch the calf muscles and tendons in my foot. It helps for a little while. I am sorry that I am not better at trying to explain this. If you don't understand just post another message and I will try again. Good luck to ya!! Hang in there. If ya need to talk just message!!!

Bea on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006858)

I think it is smart to see other surgeons. Also try glucosomine, and icing I find is very helpful. Also stretching excercises. Read the board and try everything you can & maybe you can find some relief. As we have all said the biggest problem with this thing is that it seems to be different for everyone & there is no one thing that will work for everyone. Good Luck.

Nancy in MD on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006869)

Hi Elizabeth. My doctor told me that he did not want to operate on my feet, but I know down the road that I will have to have surgery. It is your decision. I can definitely understand about the family thing. I am very lucky that my family understands the PF problem. But, sometimes they forget and I have to remind them. If your family starts in on you, print out some of the info off of this site and let them read it. Maybe it's because they don't totally understand what PF is.
When my feet are absolutely killing me, I take a HOT bath and stretch my feet from a 90 degree angle back to a relaxed position. Another thing that I found that makes my ankles and achilles feel better is writing the alphabet (yes, the alphabet!) in the air with my feet. I know that it sounds weird, but when your feel and ankles are really tired or hurting, it does help. The way that I do it is find a chair (such as a bar stool type) that your feet don't touch the ground. Then I point the front of my foot towards the ground, and while 'writing' each letter, I stretch and relax my foot. I try to do it slow that I can stretch the calf muscles and tendons in my foot. It helps for a little while. I am sorry that I am not better at trying to explain this. If you don't understand just post another message and I will try again. Good luck to ya!! Hang in there. If ya need to talk just message!!!