Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks hurt me! Please help!

Posted by Rebecca on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006866)

I bought a pair of Birks yesterday. And i had such high hopes for them :( After 15 minutes wearing my feet hurt. They hurt at the edges facing outside. It's as though the supportive ridge is to narrow for me. Should i return this one and ask for a wider pair?

thanks

Re: Birks hurt me! Please help!

Trish on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006867)

Yes, get wider ones. They come in 2 widths. You shouldn't feel the ridge. Good luck.

Robin on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006874)

Rebecca, try to buy Birks in a Birkenstock store, if you aren't already. Their salespeople are generally very good with fitting. They know how the shoes should fit and they let you walk around the store quite a bit to test them out.

Generally, Birks all have the same footbed -- it's the straps and tops and buckles and leather vs suede that's different. But I have found that proper fit is critical for these shoes, mostly so that the arch support is exactly where it should be. The ridge on the outside of the shoe shouldn't even touch your toes. I suspect you either got too small a size -- or the straps haven't been adjusted properly and your foot is sliding forward and over the outside ridge. If your heel fits the heelcup well and the arch support is where it should be -- and the strap down by your toes is adjusted properly, your foot shouldn't move around too much in the shoes.

Deb on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006876)

Rebecca, I'm in the same boat as you. Started wearing my Birks five days ago and I'm seriously thinking of returning them. If I'm understanding your problem correctly, I had the same problem as you - the outside area of my foot, right below my small toe, was rubbing against the sandal and causing pain. I did alleviate that problem by adjusting the straps. Here's what I did: My sandals have three straps so the strap closest to my toes and the middle strap are quite loose. The strap closest to my ankle is slightly snug and keeps the sandal on my foot. Now, what makes me want to take these sandals back is the fact that I feel like I'm walking on concrete - my feet our constantly throbbing. If anyone else has had this problem and found it goes away after a period of time, please let me know.

WANDA on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006882)

Rebecca I bought my Birks and they are called papillio, and they're made of real good leather.they made my heel hurt for almost a month,but I wonder if it was the shoes or the pf. Start wearing socks with them I find that helps me and also I have put a soft thin insert in them to . Wear them for a while then go to a comfortable shoe that you already have just switch back and forth. The more you wear them the better they wear. Good luck

Bea on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006887)

I have 2 pair of Birks. One is Betula and as hard as I try I cannot get them to be comfortable. I have them for 2 months . I wear a 1/2 size and went one size up and I don't think they fit right. The other pair is Tatami and when I put them on I involuntarily hum, they are so right for my foot. I went a 1/2 size down on these so maybe that's the answer but all Birks are not the same and you hqve to try on different ones. According to our board the Arizona seems to be the one that is the most comfortable. Anyway if they hurt your feet take them back & make sure your salesperson knows what he is doing.

Dana on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006888)

I have VERY flat feet and when I bought my first pair back in the 70's I hated them. Of course this was when I had no feet problem, but the arch felt like a rock under my foot. When I bought my second pair about 6 years ago (still no feet problem) I bought them in narrow and then they didn't hurt. Now that I have PF I went to buy them and the guy at the Walking Store said he liked Mephistos better for those with flat feet and heel pain. My feet do feel better in them, but they still feel best in my running shoes with gel heel cups. Today I had to get a little dressed up and I wore a pair of platform sandles with a little bit of a heel and I couldn't believe I felt little to no pain because of the lift in the heal. Now mind you these sandles had no arch support and were inexpensive. I guess the heel lift was all I needed. Now I have to share with you what I did earlier today. I dropped a stack of 12 large plastic cups on my bad foot. Now my heel hurts and the top of my foot is black and blue and swollen. I just can't seem to win!

Andi K on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006905)

I finally gave in and bought a pair of Birks because of the praises I've read here on the board. I don't love the looks, but I bought them for around the house. I went down a size to get the correct fit and wore them for a few hours the first day. It turned out to be a couple hours too much. I was in a bit of pain. I wore my Acorn clog slippers for a few days to rest my feet and tried the Birks again, but for much less time. After a couple weeks, I now can wear the Birks all day and find that they feel great. I do rest my feet by wearing the Acorns every second or third day and this seems to work great for me. Good luck everyone!

Sue on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006922)

I have tried and tried to wear Birks and have failed. I developed terrible back pain with them. I took them back and bought Mephisto Rush. I had tried 2 other Mephisto models and both were too narrow. I had the same problem with Birk rubbing the outside (almost pinching) the side of my foot. I did buy the wider size but I continued to have hip and back pain.

Jenny Lewis on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006924)

Well, here I am again, Birks fan (recently converted!) I've been reading the comments from others who struggled with them. Just thought I would mention - although I now LOVE them to bits and my feet are happy in them, they definitely took a bit of getting used to. I wore my first pair (Pappillion sandal-ish things, great clumpy lumpy things) around the house for a while, an hour or so at a time to begin with. Then I brought them to work with me, and wore them for a while here.

A thought just occurred. Several people have mentioned the style they bought, and some of them are backless (the Birks, not the people ;-)) and I sort of wondered if this is causing a problem. I am not comfortable with the backless ones, MUST have a strap at the back of the sandals, or of course the closed ones have the support. In my case it makes a big difference.

Another thought - the closed ones seem heavy, and very firm, almost rigid all over. BUT, when they are on, and laced up, or buckled, they support my feet beautifully. Fitting is all, and I tried on almost ever pair in the shop before I settled on the ones I bought.

OK, enough Birks raving from me for today. Disclaimer - I don't own shares or have any connection with the company, apart from buying 3 pairs so far and loving them.

jl

Trish on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006867)

Yes, get wider ones. They come in 2 widths. You shouldn't feel the ridge. Good luck.

Robin on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006874)

Rebecca, try to buy Birks in a Birkenstock store, if you aren't already. Their salespeople are generally very good with fitting. They know how the shoes should fit and they let you walk around the store quite a bit to test them out.

Generally, Birks all have the same footbed -- it's the straps and tops and buckles and leather vs suede that's different. But I have found that proper fit is critical for these shoes, mostly so that the arch support is exactly where it should be. The ridge on the outside of the shoe shouldn't even touch your toes. I suspect you either got too small a size -- or the straps haven't been adjusted properly and your foot is sliding forward and over the outside ridge. If your heel fits the heelcup well and the arch support is where it should be -- and the strap down by your toes is adjusted properly, your foot shouldn't move around too much in the shoes.

Deb on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006876)

Rebecca, I'm in the same boat as you. Started wearing my Birks five days ago and I'm seriously thinking of returning them. If I'm understanding your problem correctly, I had the same problem as you - the outside area of my foot, right below my small toe, was rubbing against the sandal and causing pain. I did alleviate that problem by adjusting the straps. Here's what I did: My sandals have three straps so the strap closest to my toes and the middle strap are quite loose. The strap closest to my ankle is slightly snug and keeps the sandal on my foot. Now, what makes me want to take these sandals back is the fact that I feel like I'm walking on concrete - my feet our constantly throbbing. If anyone else has had this problem and found it goes away after a period of time, please let me know.

WANDA on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006882)

Rebecca I bought my Birks and they are called papillio, and they're made of real good leather.they made my heel hurt for almost a month,but I wonder if it was the shoes or the pf. Start wearing socks with them I find that helps me and also I have put a soft thin insert in them to . Wear them for a while then go to a comfortable shoe that you already have just switch back and forth. The more you wear them the better they wear. Good luck

Bea on 5/15/99 at 00:00 (006887)

I have 2 pair of Birks. One is Betula and as hard as I try I cannot get them to be comfortable. I have them for 2 months . I wear a 1/2 size and went one size up and I don't think they fit right. The other pair is Tatami and when I put them on I involuntarily hum, they are so right for my foot. I went a 1/2 size down on these so maybe that's the answer but all Birks are not the same and you hqve to try on different ones. According to our board the Arizona seems to be the one that is the most comfortable. Anyway if they hurt your feet take them back & make sure your salesperson knows what he is doing.

Dana on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006888)

I have VERY flat feet and when I bought my first pair back in the 70's I hated them. Of course this was when I had no feet problem, but the arch felt like a rock under my foot. When I bought my second pair about 6 years ago (still no feet problem) I bought them in narrow and then they didn't hurt. Now that I have PF I went to buy them and the guy at the Walking Store said he liked Mephistos better for those with flat feet and heel pain. My feet do feel better in them, but they still feel best in my running shoes with gel heel cups. Today I had to get a little dressed up and I wore a pair of platform sandles with a little bit of a heel and I couldn't believe I felt little to no pain because of the lift in the heal. Now mind you these sandles had no arch support and were inexpensive. I guess the heel lift was all I needed. Now I have to share with you what I did earlier today. I dropped a stack of 12 large plastic cups on my bad foot. Now my heel hurts and the top of my foot is black and blue and swollen. I just can't seem to win!

Andi K on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006905)

I finally gave in and bought a pair of Birks because of the praises I've read here on the board. I don't love the looks, but I bought them for around the house. I went down a size to get the correct fit and wore them for a few hours the first day. It turned out to be a couple hours too much. I was in a bit of pain. I wore my Acorn clog slippers for a few days to rest my feet and tried the Birks again, but for much less time. After a couple weeks, I now can wear the Birks all day and find that they feel great. I do rest my feet by wearing the Acorns every second or third day and this seems to work great for me. Good luck everyone!

Sue on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006922)

I have tried and tried to wear Birks and have failed. I developed terrible back pain with them. I took them back and bought Mephisto Rush. I had tried 2 other Mephisto models and both were too narrow. I had the same problem with Birk rubbing the outside (almost pinching) the side of my foot. I did buy the wider size but I continued to have hip and back pain.

Jenny Lewis on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006924)

Well, here I am again, Birks fan (recently converted!) I've been reading the comments from others who struggled with them. Just thought I would mention - although I now LOVE them to bits and my feet are happy in them, they definitely took a bit of getting used to. I wore my first pair (Pappillion sandal-ish things, great clumpy lumpy things) around the house for a while, an hour or so at a time to begin with. Then I brought them to work with me, and wore them for a while here.

A thought just occurred. Several people have mentioned the style they bought, and some of them are backless (the Birks, not the people ;-)) and I sort of wondered if this is causing a problem. I am not comfortable with the backless ones, MUST have a strap at the back of the sandals, or of course the closed ones have the support. In my case it makes a big difference.

Another thought - the closed ones seem heavy, and very firm, almost rigid all over. BUT, when they are on, and laced up, or buckled, they support my feet beautifully. Fitting is all, and I tried on almost ever pair in the shop before I settled on the ones I bought.

OK, enough Birks raving from me for today. Disclaimer - I don't own shares or have any connection with the company, apart from buying 3 pairs so far and loving them.

jl