Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Theory

Posted by Scott on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006893)

A doctor in Pakistan emailed to say many of his patients experience a sharp pain when the back of their heel near the achille's tendon attachment is pressed and relieving inflammation in that area reduces their heel pain on the bottom of the heel. Please let me know if you experience pain in that area when you press it with a finger.

Re: New Theory

Bea on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006899)

That is the part of my foot where I have the most pain. Went to my rheumatologist the other day and he gave me some nsid and it has heped considerably. My heel spur is at the back edge of the heel and since I have been taking the pills (2 days) I have no heel pain.or just a twige or two.

Gordon on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006902)

Mine doesn't hurt now but it may have when things were worse.

Gordon

maureen on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006903)

Scott, I don't have any pain there.

CrabbyAss2 on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006912)

Scott, I just found out that I have this pain in the back of my heel 2 weeks ago, when I went to the Temple Univ. School of Podiatric Medicine. The Dr. pressed every part of my foot and the 2 places which made me jump almost off the table were where the PF attaches to the heel (inside arch near the heel) and the back of my heel. I have not had one of the 5 previous Dr's who have taken care of me in the last 3 yrs. even press any of these spots, they would just point or press on the middle of my heel. Amazing what I have learned from this place. Marie

kathi on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006915)

Hi, I am new to this site and sorely (pun is intended) in need of ideas to help.

As to pain here, I have none. I do have heel and outer edge of foot and ankle pain.

I hope we all find a path to freedom from this pain. Perhaps with group-help!

Please, any and all, email me with hints, suggestions, and commiserations. Kathi

Barb Lundeen on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006919)

Scott - That's why I denied PF for years and years and years - because my heels hurt on the upper side toward the back and not anywhere on the bottom of my foot - I accidentally massaged my arch really hard one day when I was really throbbing and lo and behold it helped the pain - that's when I started searching online and found your site - It has helped immensely!!! - I am now really careful to do gentle stretching before I get out of bed in the morning, wear an inexpensive (Dr. Scholl's) arch support ALL the time and ice when I'm out on a runner and push the feet to hard - all these things have made all the difference in the world - and I NEVER go barefoot anymore!!! - That got me in more trouble than anything.
Good luck to everyone!

John C. on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006927)

Scott,
I have had some pain nearly everywhere else, but, none on the rear of the heel. Not in the past or now.

Karen on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006931)

Scott, My spurs are on the back of my heels, hooking down toward the heel pad. My pain is in the ankle area and yes it hurts to press on the back of my foot. I think of my pain as best discribed as achilles tendonitis rather than pf. I cannot walk except on my toes when first arising. This is true whether I am arising from a nights sleep, or arising from 5 minutes on the couch. I am now wearing the Florida style birks and New Balance shoes. I am also having my little toe realigned this Thur. so I'm trying everything to be able to walk normally again. I have been the cast, cortizone, route and am now relying on calf stretching and icing and MSM and glucosomine chondroitin.

Rosemary on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006940)

Could not believe your message because my son and I had just talked about this very idea this weekend. He takes martial arts classes and a healing class is included. He had learned things he thought might help me with PF. He pressed hard on the back of my legs about two inches above the heel bone and I yelled a lot. He did press hard. I yelled a lot. He pressed and then massaged and pressed and massaged. Accupressure he called it. I did not think that spot would be tender, but I was surprised. Also have decided the pain continues up the Achilles Tendon several inches further. Like Rebecca, I am trying to decide what else I can do there to relieve the inflammation. The pressing and massaging of the tendon along with a foot massage did help.

Dad on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006942)

No pain there!

Bea on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006899)

That is the part of my foot where I have the most pain. Went to my rheumatologist the other day and he gave me some nsid and it has heped considerably. My heel spur is at the back edge of the heel and since I have been taking the pills (2 days) I have no heel pain.or just a twige or two.

Gordon on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006902)

Mine doesn't hurt now but it may have when things were worse.

Gordon

maureen on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006903)

Scott, I don't have any pain there.

CrabbyAss2 on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006912)

Scott, I just found out that I have this pain in the back of my heel 2 weeks ago, when I went to the Temple Univ. School of Podiatric Medicine. The Dr. pressed every part of my foot and the 2 places which made me jump almost off the table were where the PF attaches to the heel (inside arch near the heel) and the back of my heel. I have not had one of the 5 previous Dr's who have taken care of me in the last 3 yrs. even press any of these spots, they would just point or press on the middle of my heel. Amazing what I have learned from this place. Marie

kathi on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006915)

Hi, I am new to this site and sorely (pun is intended) in need of ideas to help.

As to pain here, I have none. I do have heel and outer edge of foot and ankle pain.

I hope we all find a path to freedom from this pain. Perhaps with group-help!

Please, any and all, email me with hints, suggestions, and commiserations. Kathi

Barb Lundeen on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006919)

Scott - That's why I denied PF for years and years and years - because my heels hurt on the upper side toward the back and not anywhere on the bottom of my foot - I accidentally massaged my arch really hard one day when I was really throbbing and lo and behold it helped the pain - that's when I started searching online and found your site - It has helped immensely!!! - I am now really careful to do gentle stretching before I get out of bed in the morning, wear an inexpensive (Dr. Scholl's) arch support ALL the time and ice when I'm out on a runner and push the feet to hard - all these things have made all the difference in the world - and I NEVER go barefoot anymore!!! - That got me in more trouble than anything.
Good luck to everyone!

John C. on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006927)

Scott,
I have had some pain nearly everywhere else, but, none on the rear of the heel. Not in the past or now.

Karen on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006931)

Scott, My spurs are on the back of my heels, hooking down toward the heel pad. My pain is in the ankle area and yes it hurts to press on the back of my foot. I think of my pain as best discribed as achilles tendonitis rather than pf. I cannot walk except on my toes when first arising. This is true whether I am arising from a nights sleep, or arising from 5 minutes on the couch. I am now wearing the Florida style birks and New Balance shoes. I am also having my little toe realigned this Thur. so I'm trying everything to be able to walk normally again. I have been the cast, cortizone, route and am now relying on calf stretching and icing and MSM and glucosomine chondroitin.

Rosemary on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006940)

Could not believe your message because my son and I had just talked about this very idea this weekend. He takes martial arts classes and a healing class is included. He had learned things he thought might help me with PF. He pressed hard on the back of my legs about two inches above the heel bone and I yelled a lot. He did press hard. I yelled a lot. He pressed and then massaged and pressed and massaged. Accupressure he called it. I did not think that spot would be tender, but I was surprised. Also have decided the pain continues up the Achilles Tendon several inches further. Like Rebecca, I am trying to decide what else I can do there to relieve the inflammation. The pressing and massaging of the tendon along with a foot massage did help.

Dad on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006942)

No pain there!