Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

High Arches

Posted by Maggie on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006894)

Scott mentions that arch supports are less likely help those with high arches, which is what I have. Can anyone suggest a shoe to help those of us with a high arch? Birks seem to aggravate my heel pain.

Re: High Arches

Lisa on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006898)

Hi Maggie. I have very high arches. I have PF in both feet and had surgery 6 weeks ago in the right foot....I found the New Balance walking shoe fits my orthotics, plus they tend to have a higher arch anyway for people like you and I.

The regular Birks are very bothersome to me. There is a Birk store just down the street from where I live so I've been lucky to be able to try several pair and return several pair, too. Try the higher-arched Birks -- the Tatami line. One of them has a removal insole and about a 1' wedge heel. I can fit my orthotic into it -- it's noticeable from behind because the heel of my orthotic sticks up a bit and against the black wedge it's about 1/2' noticeable, but they fit and it's comfortable, so I don't care if the orthotic shows. Plus the Tatami line has other styles with the higher arch. Try it.

I haven't found any shoe at all with a high enough arch that I don't need my orthotic. Let me know if you do. Sometimes the high-arched Birks aren't even high enough for me and I have to wedge an arch pad in there that I got at the Dr.

Good Luck.

kelus on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006925)

Maggie, if you have high arches, my doctor says that they still need some type of support.

kelus

Martha on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006934)

I have high arches. The best thing I've found is Birkenstocks. I like best the oldie-but-goodie Arizona model. Since I retired in December I wear them almost all the time and my feet are getting so much better.

CrabbyAss2 on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006945)

I have high arches also but my problem is when I stand up my arches collapse to the point where I look flat footed. The inserts correct this problem and have offered some releif from the pain.

Lisa on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006898)

Hi Maggie. I have very high arches. I have PF in both feet and had surgery 6 weeks ago in the right foot....I found the New Balance walking shoe fits my orthotics, plus they tend to have a higher arch anyway for people like you and I.

The regular Birks are very bothersome to me. There is a Birk store just down the street from where I live so I've been lucky to be able to try several pair and return several pair, too. Try the higher-arched Birks -- the Tatami line. One of them has a removal insole and about a 1' wedge heel. I can fit my orthotic into it -- it's noticeable from behind because the heel of my orthotic sticks up a bit and against the black wedge it's about 1/2' noticeable, but they fit and it's comfortable, so I don't care if the orthotic shows. Plus the Tatami line has other styles with the higher arch. Try it.

I haven't found any shoe at all with a high enough arch that I don't need my orthotic. Let me know if you do. Sometimes the high-arched Birks aren't even high enough for me and I have to wedge an arch pad in there that I got at the Dr.

Good Luck.

kelus on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006925)

Maggie, if you have high arches, my doctor says that they still need some type of support.

kelus

Martha on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006934)

I have high arches. The best thing I've found is Birkenstocks. I like best the oldie-but-goodie Arizona model. Since I retired in December I wear them almost all the time and my feet are getting so much better.

CrabbyAss2 on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006945)

I have high arches also but my problem is when I stand up my arches collapse to the point where I look flat footed. The inserts correct this problem and have offered some releif from the pain.