Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scott & others: How about Gel-based topical ibuprofin?

Posted by Maura on 5/16/99 at 00:00 (006917)

Well, I don't know if this is actually available in the US or Canada at the moment, but my father brought back some wonderful stuff called 'Ibulieve'. It is a topical ibuprofin, in a gel form, that you just apply directly to the inflamed area. My father (whose feet were paining him tremendously, though it may not have been PF) swears by the stuff; he has gone from walking in agony to playing lots of golf with no pain--he always walks the course, rarely rides a cart, too. He passed a tube along to me and I have tried using it 3 times. It definitely numbs the pain for a while. Has anyone else tried this (and is it sold in Canada?)?

Re: Scott & others: How about Gel-based topical ibuprofin?

Jenny Lewis on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006923)

Hi Maura

I live in London (UK), and have come across the much praised Ibuleve. Not praised by me though, sorry to say. I know everyone reacts differently to everything, and all that, but my experience of this stuff is that it did absolutely NOTHING for me. I hurt my back a few years ago and went to an osteopath who suggested using Ibuleve. It needs regular application, he said, as it is an anti-inflammatory and it needs to 'build up', and all that bla bla. I sometimes wonder if he had shares in the company! It is VERY expensive, for a VERY small tube. Anyway, I used it, and after the second or third tube of it I decided that this was a waste of money.

There are now other brands, still fairly expensive, of similar gels and creams, but anti inflams don't seem to have helped me.

jl

Rosalind on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006933)

If it only numbs the pain and covers the symptoms, that might lead to more injury of the fasica. But I am wondering, if it is an anti-inflammatory than it could help with the problem and could be worth the cost. Any thoughts on this?

I am driving several thousand miles (ugh) from Massachusetts to Montana through Canada at the end of this week, and would pick some up if I thought it worked. I have to lead hikes in Glacier Park starting June 5th and although I am now able to get through the days pretty well without spending half of them in bed, hikes and even minimal dancing, really do a number on me. But who knows what great things will happen in the next few weeks? There's always something else to try.

Jenny Lewis on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006923)

Hi Maura

I live in London (UK), and have come across the much praised Ibuleve. Not praised by me though, sorry to say. I know everyone reacts differently to everything, and all that, but my experience of this stuff is that it did absolutely NOTHING for me. I hurt my back a few years ago and went to an osteopath who suggested using Ibuleve. It needs regular application, he said, as it is an anti-inflammatory and it needs to 'build up', and all that bla bla. I sometimes wonder if he had shares in the company! It is VERY expensive, for a VERY small tube. Anyway, I used it, and after the second or third tube of it I decided that this was a waste of money.

There are now other brands, still fairly expensive, of similar gels and creams, but anti inflams don't seem to have helped me.

jl

Rosalind on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006933)

If it only numbs the pain and covers the symptoms, that might lead to more injury of the fasica. But I am wondering, if it is an anti-inflammatory than it could help with the problem and could be worth the cost. Any thoughts on this?

I am driving several thousand miles (ugh) from Massachusetts to Montana through Canada at the end of this week, and would pick some up if I thought it worked. I have to lead hikes in Glacier Park starting June 5th and although I am now able to get through the days pretty well without spending half of them in bed, hikes and even minimal dancing, really do a number on me. But who knows what great things will happen in the next few weeks? There's always something else to try.