Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lipoma(fatty tumor) of plantar fascia

Posted by Alex on 5/17/99 at 00:00 (006938)

I had a physical 5 years ago and was told the lump under the skin just posterior to the ball of my left foot was a benign lipoma of the plantar fascia and should be monitored but would present no problem unless the tumor grew or there was any pain ! Recently the lipoma began to grow to a length of 25-30 mm toward the heel and i began walking 'pidgeon toed' and there was occasional throbbing pain.
My concern was the change in my walking since I have had left knee surgery and the knee was beginning to bother me. I visited an Orthopaedist who gave me two options 1. remove the lipoma surgically, be out of work 3-4 days and use crutches for 3-4 weeks or 2. wait 3-6 months and see what happens with a warning that the surgery would be more invasive if the condition worsened. I was not informed of any other treatment. I decided to have the surgery which required a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch incision. Upon waking from surgery I was confronted by the doctor and told the surgery was much more complicated and the lipoma had surrounded the medial fascia and the nerve and the entire medial plantar fascia and nerve were removed.I have been virtually bed ridden for four weeks, the pain is persistent, I can't sit or have the foot below my heart for more than 10 minutes without it turning purple and throbbing painfully. I had a 6 inch incision on my foot, have had a hell of miserable 4 weeks, the stitches have been removed and now the doctor is talking about steroids and sypathetic blocking techniques.

I've expressed my frustration with the doctor about not being fully informed about potential outcomes of a procedure I was led to believe was 'routine'. I've been out of work 1 month and even though I have a sedentary job, I can't sit for more than 10-15 minutes with my foot below my heart (actually relief is achieved when foot is above 'head' !) The pre-op pain was nothing compared to the pain and discomfort I have encountered since my unfortunate decision to cut !!!!

My advise to all, pursue ANY & ALL conservative/non-invasive treatments before having such a 'routine' operation !!!!

Re: Lipoma(fatty tumor) of plantar fascia

kelus on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006959)

Alex, that is awful and I am so sorry you are having to go through all this crap. No one should have to go through all this without anyone helping us. I will surely keep you in my prayers.

kelus

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006988)

A tumor that grows 30 cm on the bottom of the foot is very serious. It undoubtably was consuming tissue that is needed for walking. Depending on its rate of growth before the operation, it could have been much worse very quickly. Surgery is the best option for growing tumors. I wouldn't blame the Dr for the outcome in this case.

kelus on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006959)

Alex, that is awful and I am so sorry you are having to go through all this crap. No one should have to go through all this without anyone helping us. I will surely keep you in my prayers.

kelus

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006988)

A tumor that grows 30 cm on the bottom of the foot is very serious. It undoubtably was consuming tissue that is needed for walking. Depending on its rate of growth before the operation, it could have been much worse very quickly. Surgery is the best option for growing tumors. I wouldn't blame the Dr for the outcome in this case.