Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning Feet?

Posted by Lisa on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006968)

Okay, it's been 6 weeks since the surgery in my right foot. Still have lots of pain and I know it's going to take time. But I keep reading about PF and heel pain, which I have. My question is about burning in the feet. I have to gently step on the floor out of bed but my pain increases as the day goes on. The incredible, 'feet are on fire, get off them' kind of pain. Sometimes it is so intense that it feels like my feet are going to explode. This often happens within 1/2 hour of being on my feet and doesn't subside until ice and plenty of rest (like the remainder of the day).

Does everyone with PF have the burning or just heel pain? I was told I have Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome too. The doctor is working on getting the inflammation down with therapy. Just wondered if I'm missing something. I find little info on TTS. More on Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, so I guess the same treatment would work.

Please advise. Thanks.

Lisa

Re: Burning Feet?

Jane on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006969)

I, too, had a 'burning' sensation along with the heel pain and stiffness. I saw a number of doctors and they all called it a 'neuropathy.' My orthopedic doctor said it was a result of the other pain in my feet and that pain 'takes many forms.' I was also sent (not by him) to a neurologist, who said it was likely caused by the 2 beers I had been drinking every day. I quit drinking beer and took elavil for awhile - supposed to be good for neuropathy. But my feet started to feel better in every way so I stopped both the elavil and the anti-inflammatory. By this time I had tried so many things to cure myself that I can't be sure what did the trick, but I would guess a combination of taking the anti-inflammatory, night splints and stretching the calves. I also think it's possible I was not being careful when I iced my feet - I used gel packs covered by a cloth, but it seemed to make the burning worse. So, in other words, I think the doctors were guessing, but the orthopedic guy was probably right about pain taking different forms. Good Luck!

Yvonne on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006972)

Lisa:

I to suffer constantly from burning feet. My doctor's have told me that until the inflammation comes down they will continue to burn.

What I do to relieve the sensation is, sit on the side of my bath and with the shower on massage, run the cold water on them. I also fill the bottom of the bath with ice and cold water from my fridge, I do this for as long as possible (approx. 15 min). My feet feel great after that, I don't get the burning back until morning (that is if I haven't gone out and just sit on my sofa). At least I get a comfortable nights sleep.

I hope it works for you.

Robin on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006975)

Am about 1 year with PF, have gone from horrible to moderate pain with Birks, glucosamine, vit.C, rest, etc. and am now thinking I may add MSM. I too have experienced a burning sensation in my feet, plus throbbing and aching all-over symptoms well beyond the typical pain-in-the-heel PF descriptions. Sometimes when I camp out on the sofa and put my feet up, they ache all over as if they had been battered with a 2 x 4. The predictability is difficult -- sometimes they ache when I have been mostly off of them. Other times they don't when I've been on them most of the day. Go figure, eh?

For myself, I am convinced I have progressed beyond PF into mild tarsal tunnel, with pain in and around my toes and throughout the ball on my foot.

However, Lisa -- I am a carpal tunnel veteran and I think that's what makes me so cautious about all this foot treatment. Almost four years ago, I found myself with a wicked case of carpal tunnel in both hands. It was so severe -- I couldn't hold up a paperback book, or drive a car very well; I couldn't hold a pen or sign my name. I'm a professional writer. I make my living on a keyboard, and if I can't write I don't work. Carpal tunnel is serious business for me.

It struck at the time I was relocating from New England to Florida -- so although surgery was indicated and I was scheduled for double surgery, I ended up postponing it and having to treat myself instead while I got resettled. The first thing I did was wear metal splints on both hands, 24 hours a day, off ONLY in the shower. There are some vitamin-B therapies that have been found effective with CTS, and I used excessive vitamin B complex therapy for awhile (although it was considered neurologically risky to do so for very long). I slept in very specific positions with my hands hanging off the side of the bed (a feat when you have CTS in both hands) -- and I rested my hands as much as possible. I also worked on some elbow and shoulder massage and movement therapy, since there is speculation that CTS has its roots in the shoulder and elbow areas. (I quit working and lived off savings for several months. That was probably the biggest help) 6 months later -- the CTS was virtually gone. Today I'm back full-time on a keyboard. I still sleep with a splint on my left hand -- probably always will. Small price to pay for relief of pain.

The reason I write all this -- I don't believe treatments for CTS and TTS are exactly the same, but I believe the principles are probably similar. My wrists needed rigid support; so do my feet (and that's why I wear Birks 100% of the time). I believe a very specific combination of mega-vitamins and mega-nutrients is probably valuable. I believe that keeping my hands (and feet) in specific positions when I rest is valuable. And I believe that rest is valuable. Frankly, my goal with my feet is to find (as I did with my hands) exactly the combination of non-invasive interventions that work best -- and then makes them work for me. I hope you find what works for you too; there's a lot of trial and error involved, I guess.

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006989)

The burning indicates there is nerve damage or irritaion from inflammation or involvement with scar tissue. If it started after the surgery, then the surgery caused it. Of course, your doctor will give it a name such as 'tarsal tunnel syndrome, blah, blah, blah' knowing full well the surgery caused it. This does not necessarily mean it was a poor job of surgery, but someone else may have been able to do better. Try vigorous massage in the heel area where it may produce more tingling and burning more forward under the arch in a place you are not massaging. The irritated nerves transmit the feeling from the heel area towards the front of the foot. Be sure to follow the massaging with ice. 4 times a day may be good. But too much can also cause harm.

Re: Burning Feet? - treat the inflammation

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006990)

In reference to the burning feet problem, I forgot to mention the importance of reducing the inflammation in the heel area to prevent the burning and tingling that may result more forward under then arch or even the ball and the big toe. In addition to the NSAIDs, don't forget the supplements mentioned on my main page (pancreatin, bromelain, quercitin, flax oil) and 100 mg B6 twice a day especially if it's tarsal tunnel.

Jane on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006969)

I, too, had a 'burning' sensation along with the heel pain and stiffness. I saw a number of doctors and they all called it a 'neuropathy.' My orthopedic doctor said it was a result of the other pain in my feet and that pain 'takes many forms.' I was also sent (not by him) to a neurologist, who said it was likely caused by the 2 beers I had been drinking every day. I quit drinking beer and took elavil for awhile - supposed to be good for neuropathy. But my feet started to feel better in every way so I stopped both the elavil and the anti-inflammatory. By this time I had tried so many things to cure myself that I can't be sure what did the trick, but I would guess a combination of taking the anti-inflammatory, night splints and stretching the calves. I also think it's possible I was not being careful when I iced my feet - I used gel packs covered by a cloth, but it seemed to make the burning worse. So, in other words, I think the doctors were guessing, but the orthopedic guy was probably right about pain taking different forms. Good Luck!

Yvonne on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006972)

Lisa:

I to suffer constantly from burning feet. My doctor's have told me that until the inflammation comes down they will continue to burn.

What I do to relieve the sensation is, sit on the side of my bath and with the shower on massage, run the cold water on them. I also fill the bottom of the bath with ice and cold water from my fridge, I do this for as long as possible (approx. 15 min). My feet feel great after that, I don't get the burning back until morning (that is if I haven't gone out and just sit on my sofa). At least I get a comfortable nights sleep.

I hope it works for you.

Robin on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006975)

Am about 1 year with PF, have gone from horrible to moderate pain with Birks, glucosamine, vit.C, rest, etc. and am now thinking I may add MSM. I too have experienced a burning sensation in my feet, plus throbbing and aching all-over symptoms well beyond the typical pain-in-the-heel PF descriptions. Sometimes when I camp out on the sofa and put my feet up, they ache all over as if they had been battered with a 2 x 4. The predictability is difficult -- sometimes they ache when I have been mostly off of them. Other times they don't when I've been on them most of the day. Go figure, eh?

For myself, I am convinced I have progressed beyond PF into mild tarsal tunnel, with pain in and around my toes and throughout the ball on my foot.

However, Lisa -- I am a carpal tunnel veteran and I think that's what makes me so cautious about all this foot treatment. Almost four years ago, I found myself with a wicked case of carpal tunnel in both hands. It was so severe -- I couldn't hold up a paperback book, or drive a car very well; I couldn't hold a pen or sign my name. I'm a professional writer. I make my living on a keyboard, and if I can't write I don't work. Carpal tunnel is serious business for me.

It struck at the time I was relocating from New England to Florida -- so although surgery was indicated and I was scheduled for double surgery, I ended up postponing it and having to treat myself instead while I got resettled. The first thing I did was wear metal splints on both hands, 24 hours a day, off ONLY in the shower. There are some vitamin-B therapies that have been found effective with CTS, and I used excessive vitamin B complex therapy for awhile (although it was considered neurologically risky to do so for very long). I slept in very specific positions with my hands hanging off the side of the bed (a feat when you have CTS in both hands) -- and I rested my hands as much as possible. I also worked on some elbow and shoulder massage and movement therapy, since there is speculation that CTS has its roots in the shoulder and elbow areas. (I quit working and lived off savings for several months. That was probably the biggest help) 6 months later -- the CTS was virtually gone. Today I'm back full-time on a keyboard. I still sleep with a splint on my left hand -- probably always will. Small price to pay for relief of pain.

The reason I write all this -- I don't believe treatments for CTS and TTS are exactly the same, but I believe the principles are probably similar. My wrists needed rigid support; so do my feet (and that's why I wear Birks 100% of the time). I believe a very specific combination of mega-vitamins and mega-nutrients is probably valuable. I believe that keeping my hands (and feet) in specific positions when I rest is valuable. And I believe that rest is valuable. Frankly, my goal with my feet is to find (as I did with my hands) exactly the combination of non-invasive interventions that work best -- and then makes them work for me. I hope you find what works for you too; there's a lot of trial and error involved, I guess.

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006989)

The burning indicates there is nerve damage or irritaion from inflammation or involvement with scar tissue. If it started after the surgery, then the surgery caused it. Of course, your doctor will give it a name such as 'tarsal tunnel syndrome, blah, blah, blah' knowing full well the surgery caused it. This does not necessarily mean it was a poor job of surgery, but someone else may have been able to do better. Try vigorous massage in the heel area where it may produce more tingling and burning more forward under the arch in a place you are not massaging. The irritated nerves transmit the feeling from the heel area towards the front of the foot. Be sure to follow the massaging with ice. 4 times a day may be good. But too much can also cause harm.

Re: Burning Feet? - treat the inflammation

Scott on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006990)

In reference to the burning feet problem, I forgot to mention the importance of reducing the inflammation in the heel area to prevent the burning and tingling that may result more forward under then arch or even the ball and the big toe. In addition to the NSAIDs, don't forget the supplements mentioned on my main page (pancreatin, bromelain, quercitin, flax oil) and 100 mg B6 twice a day especially if it's tarsal tunnel.