Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About those Birks and cortizone shots

Posted by Sue on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006971)

I've been dealing with PF for almost a year. I read a lot of the comments on this site and have found some very helpful advice. I have read comments about how awful the cortizone shots are. I've had two shots. Yup. They hurt. But I didn't find them hideously more painful than the PF was, it's just that you know it's gonna hit you and that is totally creepy. However, on one occasion I was in such bad shape that I was almost crawling and I had no choice but to get a shot. Within 20 minutes I was able to stand on that foot -- not completely pain free -- but certainly functional. So if you're in severe pain, don't let the fear of a shot scare you off. It can make a dramatic difference. The effects of the shot are not permanent, but it can give you a break in the pain that is most welcome.

As to the Birkenstocks, I decided to give them a try and am seeing some good results after only 1 month. Some people have made comments about the shoes hurting them. You must gradually build up the length of time that you wear them. Start with an hour a day, then 2, etc. Take your time cause you're feet have to get used to a new thing. Also, Brikenstock has some waterproof sandals that can be worn in the shower, too. Some of you have had a lot of pain standing even briefly in the shower, so that might be a solution.

I keep my Birks right by my bed so that from the moment I get up I'm walking in them. So far so good.

I found a website that shoes you pictures of all the styles and you can request a catalog: http://www.birkenstock.com/1.htm

Good luck to you all!

Re: About those Birks and cortizone shots

Bea on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (007005)

Once again, it is not the pain of Cortizone but the side effects and the damage it can do. Most important it is not a cure, just temporary relief from pain and it can do a lot of damage.

Re: About those Birks and cortizone shots

Bea on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (007005)

Once again, it is not the pain of Cortizone but the side effects and the damage it can do. Most important it is not a cure, just temporary relief from pain and it can do a lot of damage.