Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Scott: re:burning feet

Posted by Lisa on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006994)

Thanks Scott. The burning occurs all over the soles of my feet, both feet, yet only the right had the PF surgery. Dr. tells me it is due to nerve inflammation and continues to us TENS to get inflammation down. It's pretty intense after 1/2 hour of standing. Dr. says give it time. It's been 6 months on the burning but only 6 weeks on the surgery of right foot, yet, same intensity of pain and burning.

I'm icing and using bromelain, quercetin, flax oil, pancreatin, and B5, B6 and B12 (all of which I read are good for burning feet, tingling in feet) in addition to a B complex and multi. My concern is if it is an inflammation that can be brought down or could the burning be the cause of another condition?

Thanks.

Re: To Scott: re:burning feet

Scott on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007035)

I would add 4 ibuprofen 3 times a day for one day to your list of pills and DMSO applied to the heel and bottom of foot. If it does not decrease the pain (assuming you are not on your feet that day) then it probably is not being caused by inflammation (assuming you do not see any inflammation) and you can try not taking any of the pills to save some of your effort. I assume diabetes has been ruled out. I'm sure there are other conditions that cause nerve damage, but I would guess that if it isn't inflammation or diabetes, some sort of direct nerve damage or scar tissue 'involvement' of the nerves is the cause. Vigorous massage followed by ice may or make it worse.

Lisa on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007052)

Thanks, Scott. I just keep thinking after 6 months of PT and wrappings of both feet with surgery on the right 6 weeks ago, that I should be improving. The heel pain in the surgery foot has slightly lessened -- oops, no it's not, I just tried pressing on my heel -- it's just that after this long I think I should be seeing positive signs, but then again, that seems to be the trouble with this condition. I want to be sure if it is some other nerve damage or something, that I'm treating for that condition too. But having had this for 10 years I figure it is going to take a long, long time to heal, if ever.

Scott on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007035)

I would add 4 ibuprofen 3 times a day for one day to your list of pills and DMSO applied to the heel and bottom of foot. If it does not decrease the pain (assuming you are not on your feet that day) then it probably is not being caused by inflammation (assuming you do not see any inflammation) and you can try not taking any of the pills to save some of your effort. I assume diabetes has been ruled out. I'm sure there are other conditions that cause nerve damage, but I would guess that if it isn't inflammation or diabetes, some sort of direct nerve damage or scar tissue 'involvement' of the nerves is the cause. Vigorous massage followed by ice may or make it worse.

Lisa on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007052)

Thanks, Scott. I just keep thinking after 6 months of PT and wrappings of both feet with surgery on the right 6 weeks ago, that I should be improving. The heel pain in the surgery foot has slightly lessened -- oops, no it's not, I just tried pressing on my heel -- it's just that after this long I think I should be seeing positive signs, but then again, that seems to be the trouble with this condition. I want to be sure if it is some other nerve damage or something, that I'm treating for that condition too. But having had this for 10 years I figure it is going to take a long, long time to heal, if ever.