Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is DMSO? Also do NSAIDs need to be taken regularly to be effective?

Posted by Maura on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (006999)

Scott, what is DMSO? Let me know if your mixture is successful, esp. as the Ibuleve gel is from Britain and thus difficult to acquire. I too was thinking that a topical ibuprofin would be less damaging to the stomach and intestines than oral; also, as a nursing mother it seemed that less might be passed along in the milk. (Of course, the ibuleve gel says on its packaging 'not for nursing mothers,' but since my doctor prescribed ibuprofin, and since my bambino is now 13 months and not nursing for nourishment, just for comfort, I will take my chances.)

Next question: Do NSAIDs need to be taken consistently and regularly in order to treat inflammation? My doctor gave me prescription ibuprofin for my tendonitis, but said to take it 'as needed.' He added, at a later visit, that ibuprofin would relieve heel spur pain, but made no mention of needing to take it all the time. Yet the message about Ibuleve from Jenny in London suggests that one needs to take ibuprofin regularly for it to combat the inflammation. This seems a significant bit of information to know for proper treatment.

Re: What is DMSO? Also do NSAIDs need to be taken regularly to be effective?

Scott on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007037)

NSAIDs usually begin working within an hour and wear off in something like 3 to 10 hours, but some may show more benefit if taken as directed for 2 weeks or more. DMSO is a solvent used in the paper industry that one visitor has said can cause cancer. It acts immediately and can be found in most local health food stores (but possibly not drug store chains or even GNC because of the reported dangers). It does dry out the skin.

Re: What is DMSO? Also do NSAIDs need to be taken regularly to be effective?

Scott on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007037)

NSAIDs usually begin working within an hour and wear off in something like 3 to 10 hours, but some may show more benefit if taken as directed for 2 weeks or more. DMSO is a solvent used in the paper industry that one visitor has said can cause cancer. It acts immediately and can be found in most local health food stores (but possibly not drug store chains or even GNC because of the reported dangers). It does dry out the skin.