Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel syndrome; tingling, other odd sensations

Posted by Maura on 5/18/99 at 00:00 (007003)

Rosalind, I should have read your posting before responding to Gordon's!

My PF began during pregnancy (although I didn't recognize it as PF until recently, over a year later) and included what I call an odd 'buzzing' in the tops and outer sides of my feet. It was a sort of tingling, and during pregnancy I just chalked it up to my pregnancy-related sciatica.

What exactly is tarsal tunnel syndrome, and what sorts of tingling and other similar sensations did you have?

-Maura

Re: tarsal tunnel syndrome; tingling, other odd sensations

Rosalind on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007039)

A lot of nerves go through a small space in the ankles and inflammation causes compression of those nerves, which is tarsal tunnel syndrome.

My symptoms were burning (even while in bed or sitting), tingling, numbness (sometimes from the knees down), shooting and sometimes excruciating pains, feelings like electrical shocks, stuff I can't even describe, but I do remember telling friends it felt like invasion of the body snatchers. My ankles had a very slight 'doughy' feeling to them which I think was the inflammation that caused the compression of the nerves.

The thing that I think helped the most with was acupuncture 2X/week, then 1X/week for several months. I also tried a lot of other things and continue to do so, because even though I have had improvement, I am still have pf and cannot hike or dance without paying dearly for it. Good luck!!

Re: tarsal tunnel syndrome; tingling, other odd sensations

Rosalind on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007039)

A lot of nerves go through a small space in the ankles and inflammation causes compression of those nerves, which is tarsal tunnel syndrome.

My symptoms were burning (even while in bed or sitting), tingling, numbness (sometimes from the knees down), shooting and sometimes excruciating pains, feelings like electrical shocks, stuff I can't even describe, but I do remember telling friends it felt like invasion of the body snatchers. My ankles had a very slight 'doughy' feeling to them which I think was the inflammation that caused the compression of the nerves.

The thing that I think helped the most with was acupuncture 2X/week, then 1X/week for several months. I also tried a lot of other things and continue to do so, because even though I have had improvement, I am still have pf and cannot hike or dance without paying dearly for it. Good luck!!