Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Atypical symptoms

Posted by Charles on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007022)

I've found that if you read enough posts you can find one or two that begin something like 'The doctors claim I have pf, although I don't have the usual symptoms.' This is my case. I don't have the classic symptom, pain that's worse after resting the foot. I am in the least pain upon rising in the morning and it gets worse the more I walk on it. I feel as though I wake up having just walked five miles, and it's like walking after your walked too much. (At the beginning I felt like I'd walked 20 miles, and pretty much staggered all the time, holding onto the wall for support). Also, nothing the doctors or other people who have the problem have recommended helps.

Over the past 2 1/2 years I have tried anti-inflammatories, icing, stretching (which seems to make it a bit worse), injections of steroids and novacaine, whirlpool baths, electricity shot through the heels, accupuncture, magnetic insoles, custom orthotics (as of about six weeks ago), rubber heel pads, birkenstocks, wrappings, some weird, painful massage/physical therapy from some guy who works with dancers, several different vitamins/minerals/herbs, and doubtless some other stuff that has slipped my mind. None of it has helped. I start physical therapy this week.

I have found two things that I think are important, although none of my podiatrists have thought so. One, rest helps. I have had two periods where there was a noticeable improvement. Both times the exact same thing happened. I took a vacation for a week and stayed home and off my feet, then the day I went back to work I caught cold and stayed home for another week. This helped a lot. I think if I were in a coma for six months I'd wake up and my feet would be fine. The other thing I've found is that sprinting down the halls at work brings slight relief. At first I could do calf stretches because I would feel the stretch painfully in my arch, but after a little running I could do it some (though not too much). The most painful thing is to stand still. I can probably stand for 10 minutes if I really have to, but it's pretty agonizing.

My doctor has agreed that if the physical therapy doesn't work he'll send me for an MRI to see if there's anything unusual with my feet. He's desperate to do surgery, but I'm not fond of the idea, as if it doesn't help I'd think it would probably hurt. I want him to put my feet in casts, since staying off them seems to be the only thing that helps, and he says he will but he's really against the idea.

So, who else has atypical symptoms and some experiences to share?

Re: Atypical symptoms

Gordon on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007024)

Sounds the same as me. DOn't do the surgery. I get relief by doing exercises that are off the feet but I haven't got rid of the problem.
I tried staying in a wheel chair for two months because the pain was so bad and it does feel better when I'm not on them. Worst mistake I ever made. Muscle atrophy made it nearly impossible to start walking again. I crawled for over a year after that. You can read my exercising methods from yesterday on talking to Lisa. Rest is good and bad. Keep your strength up, loose weight if needed, and read on. I've got a theory that our type of PF is a symptom of some form of autoimmune problem such as arthritis or Leaky gut syndrome or other. Some Docs agree with this but don't know what to do. Check out my discusions with Lisa and ALicia to see what we are up to.
Gord

Lisa on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007051)

I will agree with Gordon. I've been doing a lot of research on auto-immune conditions and how they can wreak havoc in your body and cause so many illnesses. Doctors treat the symptoms not the cause. My PF started 10+ years ago but it's only been recently that I've been learning about it because for years the doctors told me there was nothing that could be done. Anyway, my feet are the best in the morning. I step out of bed very, very gently and slowly, stretch my foot a little over a tennis ball, but then I'm fine until...well, as the day goes on and I'm on my feet I get incredible burning and tingling in my feet (see posts below for more details). Sounds like you've got the same thing.

I really think Gordon is on to something...Perhaps a little more research on autoimmune diseases is warranted. I am looking into a recommendation by Gordon on the Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratories (online for starters).

Let us know what you think.

Lisa

Re: Atypical symptoms - feet spreading

Thom on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007075)

I tore my left PF in 1990 and strained the right PF in 1992. I have very high arches and can look only to PF as an explanation for this odd side effect: My feet appear to be spreading out. My arches appear to be falling and my feet appear to be getting longer and wider. I once was an 11 E, then an 11.5 EEE; today my feet are pushing out on size 12 EEEE shoes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to stop the spreading? I'm just about out of shoe sizes to try.

troy on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007077)

I have the same thing. I get up and my feet feel great. And then it gets worse as i walk on and Im on and off my feet all day. Give me some info if you get some, please

Lisa on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007080)

Ice, ice, ice. Seems to be the best for me. And plan your days more carefully so that you do not have to be on your feet...Kind of stinks. We want to take the kids to Disney this summer but I can barely make it through the grocery store or the mall.

Ice and rest...plus a lot of other great suggests posted here.

Alicia on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007085)

My symptoms are similar to yours. I stretch everything before getting out of bed. I do not have the excruciating pain first thing in the morning. Mine gets worse as the day goes on with weight bearing. I'm on my feet a lot at work and can only wear walking or crosstraining shoes at this point. If I keep moving, I'm better than standing still, but moving is painful, too. Gordon and Lisa are looking into the autoimmune theory. I'm still trying the vitamin c and more conventional methods, although I have looked into the 'yeast' theory in the past for other reasons. I think there is probably a correlation between the autoimmune theory and PF, but I don't seem to have the energy or extra $ at this moment to do the labwork and really look into it.

Gordon on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007024)

Sounds the same as me. DOn't do the surgery. I get relief by doing exercises that are off the feet but I haven't got rid of the problem.
I tried staying in a wheel chair for two months because the pain was so bad and it does feel better when I'm not on them. Worst mistake I ever made. Muscle atrophy made it nearly impossible to start walking again. I crawled for over a year after that. You can read my exercising methods from yesterday on talking to Lisa. Rest is good and bad. Keep your strength up, loose weight if needed, and read on. I've got a theory that our type of PF is a symptom of some form of autoimmune problem such as arthritis or Leaky gut syndrome or other. Some Docs agree with this but don't know what to do. Check out my discusions with Lisa and ALicia to see what we are up to.
Gord

Lisa on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007051)

I will agree with Gordon. I've been doing a lot of research on auto-immune conditions and how they can wreak havoc in your body and cause so many illnesses. Doctors treat the symptoms not the cause. My PF started 10+ years ago but it's only been recently that I've been learning about it because for years the doctors told me there was nothing that could be done. Anyway, my feet are the best in the morning. I step out of bed very, very gently and slowly, stretch my foot a little over a tennis ball, but then I'm fine until...well, as the day goes on and I'm on my feet I get incredible burning and tingling in my feet (see posts below for more details). Sounds like you've got the same thing.

I really think Gordon is on to something...Perhaps a little more research on autoimmune diseases is warranted. I am looking into a recommendation by Gordon on the Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratories (online for starters).

Let us know what you think.

Lisa

Re: Atypical symptoms - feet spreading

Thom on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007075)

I tore my left PF in 1990 and strained the right PF in 1992. I have very high arches and can look only to PF as an explanation for this odd side effect: My feet appear to be spreading out. My arches appear to be falling and my feet appear to be getting longer and wider. I once was an 11 E, then an 11.5 EEE; today my feet are pushing out on size 12 EEEE shoes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to stop the spreading? I'm just about out of shoe sizes to try.

troy on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007077)

I have the same thing. I get up and my feet feel great. And then it gets worse as i walk on and Im on and off my feet all day. Give me some info if you get some, please

Lisa on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007080)

Ice, ice, ice. Seems to be the best for me. And plan your days more carefully so that you do not have to be on your feet...Kind of stinks. We want to take the kids to Disney this summer but I can barely make it through the grocery store or the mall.

Ice and rest...plus a lot of other great suggests posted here.

Alicia on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007085)

My symptoms are similar to yours. I stretch everything before getting out of bed. I do not have the excruciating pain first thing in the morning. Mine gets worse as the day goes on with weight bearing. I'm on my feet a lot at work and can only wear walking or crosstraining shoes at this point. If I keep moving, I'm better than standing still, but moving is painful, too. Gordon and Lisa are looking into the autoimmune theory. I'm still trying the vitamin c and more conventional methods, although I have looked into the 'yeast' theory in the past for other reasons. I think there is probably a correlation between the autoimmune theory and PF, but I don't seem to have the energy or extra $ at this moment to do the labwork and really look into it.