Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

At my wits end...

Posted by Heather on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007025)

I live in Toronto, have had PF in my right foot for two years, and at the end of March had completed a six-week course of Dornier Shock Therapy, which is apparently the 'little brother' of the Ossatron. I am disappointed to say that six weeks later, I feel no relief whatsoever. I am told that my only remaining option is the endoscopic surgery, which as we all know is very iffy. I am just not sure I am willing to take the risk of making things worse. I also have trouble accepting that (I am 39 years old) I will be limping for the next 40 years of my life. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! It seems that no sooner do I read one success story about the surgery than I read another story about the problems.

Thanks for the chance to unload - it helps to feel that one is not alone in the fight!

P.S. Can anyone tell me about 'Foot Chiropractors'?

Re: At my wits end...

Susan on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007029)

I just had surgery for a heel spur. I didn't have the EPF. After reading everything I could get my hands on about it and after talking to my doctor, I decided to have the other kind of surgery. My doctor said he likes to see what he's doing in there. He said that in addition to the spur, that my fascia was twice as thick as a normal persons should be. I am 19 days post op and my foot still hurts, but it is getting better daily. I have another week off of work so I hope I'll be considerably better by then. I'd seriously consider the older traditional surgery if I were you. My mother and several other people I know had this done 15 or more years ago and are cured. EPF sounds too iffy to me. Good luck to you.

rita on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007041)

I agree. From different people I've talked to who've had EPF, they wished they would have had the other, (I don't know what it's called) where the doc can see what's going on in your foot. Best of luck

Trish on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007042)

Who is your podiatrist for the EPF in Toronto? I'm from Edmonton, and saw Dr. Hartley Miltchin a few yrs. ago (flew out there just for that about 3 yrs. ago.) Do you know anything about him?? I didn't end up having the surgery then, but am still in pain A LOT!

Susan on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007029)

I just had surgery for a heel spur. I didn't have the EPF. After reading everything I could get my hands on about it and after talking to my doctor, I decided to have the other kind of surgery. My doctor said he likes to see what he's doing in there. He said that in addition to the spur, that my fascia was twice as thick as a normal persons should be. I am 19 days post op and my foot still hurts, but it is getting better daily. I have another week off of work so I hope I'll be considerably better by then. I'd seriously consider the older traditional surgery if I were you. My mother and several other people I know had this done 15 or more years ago and are cured. EPF sounds too iffy to me. Good luck to you.

rita on 5/19/99 at 00:00 (007041)

I agree. From different people I've talked to who've had EPF, they wished they would have had the other, (I don't know what it's called) where the doc can see what's going on in your foot. Best of luck

Trish on 5/20/99 at 00:00 (007042)

Who is your podiatrist for the EPF in Toronto? I'm from Edmonton, and saw Dr. Hartley Miltchin a few yrs. ago (flew out there just for that about 3 yrs. ago.) Do you know anything about him?? I didn't end up having the surgery then, but am still in pain A LOT!