Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Low carb diet dangers

Posted by Lisa in Florida on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007168)

I tend to agree with Roberta. I know it's everyone's business what they eat and what works for them. Please regard this as 'food for thought':

In 'Food that Harm, Foods that Heal' it states: 'High protein, low carb crash diets are ketogenic regimens that force the body to turn to protein and stored fat for energy. For the first few days, the body breaks down its lean muscle tissue and converts the protein to glucose. But if this process continues, death may occur within weeks. Instead, the body tries to conserve protein by burning fat. Ketones, a toxic by-product of excessive fat metabolism, build up in the blood, so the kidneys increase urination to get rid of them. Dieters mistake the drop in weight for a loss of fat. In reality, most early weight loss is water, and weight quickly returns when carbohydrates are consumed again. Long term weight loss can be achieved only by a common-sense diet.'

Each person can decide for themselves and I'm not out to discourage anyone for what they feel works for them. But I would suggest to keep reading, as Roberta did.

Re: Low carb diet dangers

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007175)

I ALSO would encourange you to continue reading. What makes you think that your book is any more accurate or authoritative than my book? You remind me of the people who lived in Christopher Columbus' day who thought that the world was flat because that is what they had always been taught and refused to listen to anyone elses ideas. Why don't you read Protein Power first and then maybe you can make more informed statements---but if you don't want to then I think a more appropriate comment from someone who doesn't want to read both sides would be, 'I think that this diet would be better for you but I really don't know that much about your diet.' Sorry, to be short with you but I really take issue with people who make derogatory comments about something when they really haven't bothered to learn ANYTHING about it. For one thing, if you had read the book you would know that Protein Power is not a 'high' protein diet---it is an 'adequate' protein diet. And there are several theories out there about ketosis and what it does. What makes you think that your source is the authority on the subject. I, for one, am just not buying it! In my mind, I've got no business telling you that oranges are yucky if I've never tasted one!

Roberta on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007178)

Carol, If it is working for you that is great. I know something about Atkins program and I have heard him speak. I am also studying to get a degree in nutrition to so I have a growing (not yet complete) knowledge base. I fully believe that different people should eat different things (see the book Eat Right for Your Type, about blood type and diet). I would guess that you and I probably completely agree in our opinion of lots of carbohydrates. Most carbs you buy in the US are no good for us (most of us).. It's not real food, it's not food we have evolved eating. It's food that has been stripped of most of its nutrients and probably does make our insulin go haywire. There is some crazy statistic that about 20% of the american population has type II diabetes. I am just saying, be careful about relying too much on protein. I haven't seen the book to know how much you are eating. I would also recommend some types of protein over others - pepperoni wouldn't be my first choice.

By the way, I have no time for the food pyramid (it was bought by the meat, dairy and cereal industries) and I don't flit around in a size 6. I do believe strongly in eating real food and getting lots of exercise.

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007175)

I ALSO would encourange you to continue reading. What makes you think that your book is any more accurate or authoritative than my book? You remind me of the people who lived in Christopher Columbus' day who thought that the world was flat because that is what they had always been taught and refused to listen to anyone elses ideas. Why don't you read Protein Power first and then maybe you can make more informed statements---but if you don't want to then I think a more appropriate comment from someone who doesn't want to read both sides would be, 'I think that this diet would be better for you but I really don't know that much about your diet.' Sorry, to be short with you but I really take issue with people who make derogatory comments about something when they really haven't bothered to learn ANYTHING about it. For one thing, if you had read the book you would know that Protein Power is not a 'high' protein diet---it is an 'adequate' protein diet. And there are several theories out there about ketosis and what it does. What makes you think that your source is the authority on the subject. I, for one, am just not buying it! In my mind, I've got no business telling you that oranges are yucky if I've never tasted one!

Roberta on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007178)

Carol, If it is working for you that is great. I know something about Atkins program and I have heard him speak. I am also studying to get a degree in nutrition to so I have a growing (not yet complete) knowledge base. I fully believe that different people should eat different things (see the book Eat Right for Your Type, about blood type and diet). I would guess that you and I probably completely agree in our opinion of lots of carbohydrates. Most carbs you buy in the US are no good for us (most of us).. It's not real food, it's not food we have evolved eating. It's food that has been stripped of most of its nutrients and probably does make our insulin go haywire. There is some crazy statistic that about 20% of the american population has type II diabetes. I am just saying, be careful about relying too much on protein. I haven't seen the book to know how much you are eating. I would also recommend some types of protein over others - pepperoni wouldn't be my first choice.

By the way, I have no time for the food pyramid (it was bought by the meat, dairy and cereal industries) and I don't flit around in a size 6. I do believe strongly in eating real food and getting lots of exercise.