Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Observation about orthotics!

Posted by Lisa in Florida on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007171)

I've been wearing my orthotics for 5 months now but the inflammation and tingling and burning hasn't gone down at all...in addition to everything else I've been doing...

Well, I've been home for the past 3 days and decided I'd break in a new pair of Berks. The first day my feet ached. The second was better and today they feel almost like slippers, okay, just not soft slippers. It does take a while to break them in. But the burning has gone away. Could be that I'm resting a lot more. However, I put on my New Balance with my orthotics and went to dinner last night (classy outfit) and within 1/2 hour as usual my feet began burning and hurting. Took them off in the car and got some ice and they were fine in about 30 minutes. Put my sneaks back on and bang! burning...

Wonder if the orthotics are doing more damage especially if the arch is formed to my high arch but the support is not in the right place. The highest part of the orthotics seems to hit me right where the swelling is and it feels like I'm standing on a metal rod....Guess I'll be talking to the doc soon...

Something to think about and look into further...Just wanted to pass on this interesting observation...I'll try again for a few days and see what happens.

Lisa in Florida

Re: Observation about orthotics!

Mohez on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007177)

Lisa, I have gone thru approx 5 different types of orthotics, for both
of my pf heels. The ones I get the best results from are the ones with a
metarsal rise on them. This is a small padding on the bed of the orthotic
between the toes and the begining of the arch. Try pressing up on this
part of your foot and simultaneously pressing on the part of the heel
that hurts, you will discover that for some reason this relieves the pain
in the heel. Ask your orthotic provider about this and good luck

Gordon on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007183)

For me, having shoes on makes my feet burn because of the heat build up (when I'm sitting or stationary). If I wear socks they heat up much faster and start to burn sooner. If I'm not wear my orhtodics it just makes it worse (If I have been walking).

Re: Observation about orthotics! My point

Gordon on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007185)

My point is (on the last message) that it may be the fact that your feet are just hotter with shoes on then with the birks (are they the sandle type) and you may have orthodics that just aren't right for you. My first pair of orthodics were a disaster. The castings don't come out right if they don't hold your feet properly while casting. I had mine molded twice and they look different. Also, I use the epoxy graphite fiber ones instead of fiberglass. They are much thinner and have a much gentler transition wear they feather out and they don't take up as much space in the shoe. They are pricey and may not be available everywhere. They are made at the NorthwestPodiatric Lab in Bellingham WA.

Mohez on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007177)

Lisa, I have gone thru approx 5 different types of orthotics, for both
of my pf heels. The ones I get the best results from are the ones with a
metarsal rise on them. This is a small padding on the bed of the orthotic
between the toes and the begining of the arch. Try pressing up on this
part of your foot and simultaneously pressing on the part of the heel
that hurts, you will discover that for some reason this relieves the pain
in the heel. Ask your orthotic provider about this and good luck

Gordon on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007183)

For me, having shoes on makes my feet burn because of the heat build up (when I'm sitting or stationary). If I wear socks they heat up much faster and start to burn sooner. If I'm not wear my orhtodics it just makes it worse (If I have been walking).

Re: Observation about orthotics! My point

Gordon on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007185)

My point is (on the last message) that it may be the fact that your feet are just hotter with shoes on then with the birks (are they the sandle type) and you may have orthodics that just aren't right for you. My first pair of orthodics were a disaster. The castings don't come out right if they don't hold your feet properly while casting. I had mine molded twice and they look different. Also, I use the epoxy graphite fiber ones instead of fiberglass. They are much thinner and have a much gentler transition wear they feather out and they don't take up as much space in the shoe. They are pricey and may not be available everywhere. They are made at the NorthwestPodiatric Lab in Bellingham WA.