Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Low-Carb Diet. . . . .

Posted by Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007172)

Kelus, you are right---I did sound a little snippy! Didn't really mean to but it is agravating to hear people shoot down something when they.....well, let's just let it go.

I believe I read that you are a single working mother with small children so the last thing you probably need is another message board to follow (ha, ha!! I raised 7 myself but I have a good husband and was able to be a stay at home mom) but you can just check out the recipe boards if you want. My main source is http://www.lowcarbcafe.com Scroll down and click on Message Board. After this loads you can click on the Recipe Board (#2 and #3) or the forum. I haven't been able to figure out the recipe data base yet. The forum is fun to follow---lots of gab with great recipe ideas, experience with different products, etc. The chat room isn't used much. I scan the recipe boards once in a while and print off anything I am interested in and then I bookmark the current forum so it loads right up without having to go through the menu. Once you get the forum on the screen, if you click on the word [all] just above the most recent message, it will load all of the messages in order so you can just scroll through them without ever having to click back--do you know what I mean?

Another good site is http://dc.jones.com/~bgmiller/lowcarb.htm
This is a huge list of sites related to Low-Carb

One more that I check frequently for recipes is http://www.thinner.com
This one is more serious and straight to the subject but has a lot of good recipes also.

Anyway---I just wanted you to know that there is lots of stuff and lots of support out there. I was just like you when I first started this diet. Bored silly. Sick of living on cottage cheese and hamberger patties. I'm not an egg eater so omelets are out of the question. I had doubts whether I could stick to it too but then one day I sat down at the computer and started searching and came up with all kinds of great sites and it has been wonderful ever since. Good luck whatever you do. We all have to do what works best for us.

Re: Low-Carb Diet

Carol E. on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007100)

I wouldn't recommend that ANYONE totally eliminate all carbohydrates from their diet. Doesn't sound healthy! Lisa, I am currently on the Atkin's Diet(well, actually Protein Power which is a touch more lenient but basically the same). I cannot say enough good about the diet. The first two weeks is kind of tough because of carb/sugar withdrawel---but the first two weeks of any diet is tough. I have lost 21 pounds so far, I am NEVER hungry and I feel better than I have in 20 years. I can hardly believe this is a diet---there are so many wonderful low-carb recipes out there that I never feel cheated. I plan to stick with it for the long haul because I love how I feel. Sorry you did not have much luck on it.

As far as helping PF.......I started this diet at about the same time that I found this site and finally put a name to my painful foot. I knew I had to do something and if losing weight would take away even a little of the pain, I figured it would be worth it. Since then my foot has been steadily getting a bit better (with a few setbacks after particularly hard days on my feet. No more searing pain in the heel, almost no pain when I get out of bed, usually just a dull ache of varying degrees in my arch and near my heel bone when I overdo it. Sometimes I'll go 3-4 days and hardly even remember that I have it and then I'll do something like walk to the end of our lane and back and it will hurt all day the next day---and then the other night I was 'forced' (no one understands) into playing volleyball with the teen girls at our church activity and I was so worried that it was going to undo everything I have accomplished in the past 3 months but it didn't even hurt at all the next day---GO FIGURE!!!

Anyway, it never ocurred to me that the diet might be helping the PF. I just attributed my healing to all of the other things I have been doing (ie. stretching, iceing, Birks, Vit C, etc.) Maybe there is a connection with diet but I don't think I would count on it being a cure-all for PF. However, if it even helped a little it might be worth looking into, right? Hey, Gordon! Maybe this all ties in with your theory about the possibility of Candida being involved. This low carb diet supports many of the things you are told to avoid if you have candida (sugar, refined foods, etc.)

Carol E. on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007104)

Kelus, Kelus, Kelus!!! You quit too soon!!! There are tons of Low-Carb sites on the internet with wonderful recipes for this diet!!! I found a recipe for chocolate pancakes made with whey protein shake powder that I have for breakfast ocassionally. I found a recipe for Pepperoni Cups where you mix cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, grated onion and italian seasonings together and spoon it into muffin cups that have been lined with pepperonis and bake. Then serve with a teaspoon of pizza sauce on top of each one. They are wonderful! I found a recipe for hot maple bran cereal that I eat every morning with my ham and egg! Every day I fix a WONDERFUL protein shake with whey protein powder, water, cream, 1/2 c yogurt, a couple of strawberries, some psyllium husk powder and a little artificial sweetener. Very yummy and very filling! It is cold where I live so I have a big mug of hot chocolate every night before bed with boiling water, some cocoa, sugar substitute and cream. If I want a treat (which I hardly ever crave any more---really!) I mix up a bowl of fudge with cream cheese, cocoa, vanilla and a sugar substitute. I have recipes for reasonable facsimiles of Almond Joys, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Cheesecake. You can make tacos and roll up the meat and fixins in a large lettuce leaf instead of a shell. Do the same thing with tuna salad. You can make spicy chile (without the beans) You can make a rich Alfredo Sauce and serve it over fried chicken with mushrooms and onions. I make a wonderful casserole with broccoli, chicken chunks and a rich cream cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic and cream of chicken soup sauce over it. I could go on and on and on. Does this sound like a drudgery diet to you?!!! I don't eat this fancy every night but the recipes are out there to eat something special several nights a week. Many ladies that I know (from another site) have lost gobs of weight on this diet. My own loss has been a bit slower---21 pounds in 2 months---I have always been very resistant to weight loss. Even when I was eating 400-600 low-fat calories a day and walking 6 miles a day (for 4 months)I didn't lose hardly anything. BUT, I feel wonderful on this low-carb diet---better than I have in 20 years(except for the foot thing)---and the pounds are coming off no matter how slowly---and I'm not really feeling like I am having to sacrifice much. I can live with this! MUCH BETTER than the tablespoon of bran buds with 1/4 c skim milk I used to eat for breakfast, or the banana and diet Mt. Dew I used to eat for lunch or the plate of boiled cabbage I used to eat for dinner!!!

Lindy on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007115)

What about the high fat content of that diet?? isn't that bad for your heart? What about fibre? I don't know how a diet like that could possibly be healthy! although it sounds like a tempting way to lose weight....

Carol E. on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007127)

Sorry, but you need to know the facts. You cannot make informed decisions unless you read the studies. In the Eades book Protein Power it explains in great detail that the skyrocketing insulin levels from all those carbohydrates are the real culprit. Hyperinsulinemia is the root cause for hypertension, heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity and until the medical community takes it seriously, we will all continue to suffer from these aflictions. People on this diet, for example, have experienced dramatic decreases in blood pressure and cholesterol and triglyceride levels. And as far as the fiber is concerned---nobody said anything about not eating high fiber vegetables on this diet, and with all of the wheat bran and psyllium husk I add to everything, I probably get more fiber than you do. Alas, I'm not here to argue about this diet. You are free to eat what you want and so am I.

Lindy on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007128)

Hey, don't take it as a personal attack. I wanted more facts and you gave me more. Thank you for your response.

Roberta on 5/23/99 at 00:00 (007151)

Hey kids, not to be grouchy or anything, but I am not so sure low carbs are a great idea. Not to knock anyone, I totally agree that lots of carbos are evil, but it really really depends what you eat. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains (not wheat) are awesome. Protein is great, but unless you're really active you don't need that much and it's really hard on your body to digest and get rid of the nasty bi products produced. I have no problem with lots of fat, but the type again is really important. I could go on all day, but I would just recommend that you keep reading.

Anyone who feels their diet is causing their symptoms (and I am working on a master's in nutrition so I tend to believe diet is the cause of most illnesses - particularly in the US) should focus on fruits and vegetables (organically grown) and cut out processed foods - all of it.

Okay, I could go on all day but I will stop there.

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007173)

Protein Power does NOT tell you to eat enormous amounts of protein (a common misconception among those who have NOT read the book) It has you figure out what your lean body mass is and then recommends an amount of protein per day that will sustain your lean muscle. This diet was highly recommended to my friend's brother by a heart surgeon. Fats (good fats) themselves are not bad, it is when they are combined with lots of carbohydrates that they cause problems. The diet recommends lots of high fiber, low-carb vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, summer squash, etc. and lesser amounts of sweeter and starchier vegetables such as carrots and peas. I eat a bit of low-carb (read that as less sweet) fruit every day. Many people are sensative to grains. I apparently am---it makes me fat!

I am convinced that obese people have something terribly wrong with the way their bodies handle carbohydrates. Maybe YOU can follow the current recommended 'food pyramid' and stay slim and healthy. I'm sure millions of you do. You are the ones out there enjoying life--going out to your favorite restaurants--flitting around in your cute size 6 dresses, etc. etc. But for millions of us out there something is terribly out-of-kilter with the way our bodies react to the very same foods. I'm sure that some eat way too much food---but I for one have spent 30 years watching my friends and family members eat two and three times what I do and staying slim and healthy---while I starve myself and stumble around too weak to do much of anything---hating myself and hating life. Well, I'm not going to take the low-fat high-carb hogwash anymore!!! I'm taking control and I'm going to do what works best for ME! Again, I say, I've lost 21 pounds, I feel wonderful, my blood pressure and cholesterol is down and I am on my way!!!

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007174)

Sorry, I was snippy. After struggling with this weight thing for so many years, I just get REALLY tired of all the negetive comments from other people who don't have a problem with weight. If I ate the recommended 1200-1800 calorie 'well balanced' diet that the 'experts' suggest---I would be a two ton blimp right now! OBVIOUSLY, something is not normal here. I firmly believe that many of us just don't process the carbohydrates like everyone else. Every time I try something other than the 'well balanced diet', well meaning friends tell me, 'That's really not very good for you! You shouldn't be doing that!' Well, %#$@&!, it's not good for me to be grossly overweight either! I confided in a friend last week that I was doing this diet and she said, 'Ohhhhh, that's not good for you!!! I have a friend that is doing that and she has lost 40 pounds and she doesn't look good!' I love this friend to pieces, but I wanted to slap her and say, 'It's really easy for you to criticize, as you stand there in your cute little size 6 dress. I suppose your friend looked better when she was suffering from high blood pressure, chronic arthritis, low self esteem, self loathing, and impending diabetes and heart disease. So what if her skin temporarily sags a bit because it is no longer puffed out there with great pillows of fat and pounds of water puffiness! The important thing is, does she feel good? Is she healthy? Is she more active? Is she happy with herself? Is she enjoying life again?'

Anyway, sorry I was short with you.

elaine on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007189)

Just to throw my two cents worth in... I too am following the atkins diet..quite successfully. AND my feet have greatly improved. I sometimes add carbs in... NOT sugar, as I am at my goal weight. I was so frightened I would gain back all the weight I lost while doing the aerobic thing (which gave me the pf to begin with). I had gained back about 15 pounds after stopping the exercise. I started with Atkins after hearing about it on here at Easter. I reached my goal of losing the 15 pounds a few weeks ago. I researched the many web sites to find the variety I needed. I highly recommend it. Also I found lots of support and ideas in the Atkins chat room. If anyone would like the like to that room, Email me..and I will respond with the link.
GOD BLESS
elaine

Carol E. on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007203)

Way to go, Elaine!!! Congrats on your loss! The greatest thing I learned on this diet is that if you can eliminate the hunger and weakness issues (that you are always dealing with on a regular 'low-fat high-carb' diet because of the whing-whangy insulin levels)---then you are more in tune with what amount of food your body REALLY needs and you don't crave things that it doesn't. 'What I'm going to eat' is no longer the predominant thing on my mind and I no longer have the cravings for something sweet all of the time.

Sounds like you have a recipe for success. Eat only good carbs--not empty ones! Good luck! (Thanks for the support!)

Shelby on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007208)

Carol....would love to know more about how this diet is helping you. I also have suffered thru all the comments that I would lose weight if I ate less or right or whatever. If you have time E mail me. Thanks

Carol E. on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007213)

Shelby, I'm going to sound really dumb here but where do I find your e-mail address?

I enter my address each time I post but it doesn't show up on the board---it must be somewhere because others have e-mailed me. I don't know where to locate that information.

Shelby on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007231)

Carol....I entered my email address but it didn't show up....
(email removed)

Carol E. on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007100)

I wouldn't recommend that ANYONE totally eliminate all carbohydrates from their diet. Doesn't sound healthy! Lisa, I am currently on the Atkin's Diet(well, actually Protein Power which is a touch more lenient but basically the same). I cannot say enough good about the diet. The first two weeks is kind of tough because of carb/sugar withdrawel---but the first two weeks of any diet is tough. I have lost 21 pounds so far, I am NEVER hungry and I feel better than I have in 20 years. I can hardly believe this is a diet---there are so many wonderful low-carb recipes out there that I never feel cheated. I plan to stick with it for the long haul because I love how I feel. Sorry you did not have much luck on it.

As far as helping PF.......I started this diet at about the same time that I found this site and finally put a name to my painful foot. I knew I had to do something and if losing weight would take away even a little of the pain, I figured it would be worth it. Since then my foot has been steadily getting a bit better (with a few setbacks after particularly hard days on my feet. No more searing pain in the heel, almost no pain when I get out of bed, usually just a dull ache of varying degrees in my arch and near my heel bone when I overdo it. Sometimes I'll go 3-4 days and hardly even remember that I have it and then I'll do something like walk to the end of our lane and back and it will hurt all day the next day---and then the other night I was 'forced' (no one understands) into playing volleyball with the teen girls at our church activity and I was so worried that it was going to undo everything I have accomplished in the past 3 months but it didn't even hurt at all the next day---GO FIGURE!!!

Anyway, it never ocurred to me that the diet might be helping the PF. I just attributed my healing to all of the other things I have been doing (ie. stretching, iceing, Birks, Vit C, etc.) Maybe there is a connection with diet but I don't think I would count on it being a cure-all for PF. However, if it even helped a little it might be worth looking into, right? Hey, Gordon! Maybe this all ties in with your theory about the possibility of Candida being involved. This low carb diet supports many of the things you are told to avoid if you have candida (sugar, refined foods, etc.)

Carol E. on 5/21/99 at 00:00 (007104)

Kelus, Kelus, Kelus!!! You quit too soon!!! There are tons of Low-Carb sites on the internet with wonderful recipes for this diet!!! I found a recipe for chocolate pancakes made with whey protein shake powder that I have for breakfast ocassionally. I found a recipe for Pepperoni Cups where you mix cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, grated onion and italian seasonings together and spoon it into muffin cups that have been lined with pepperonis and bake. Then serve with a teaspoon of pizza sauce on top of each one. They are wonderful! I found a recipe for hot maple bran cereal that I eat every morning with my ham and egg! Every day I fix a WONDERFUL protein shake with whey protein powder, water, cream, 1/2 c yogurt, a couple of strawberries, some psyllium husk powder and a little artificial sweetener. Very yummy and very filling! It is cold where I live so I have a big mug of hot chocolate every night before bed with boiling water, some cocoa, sugar substitute and cream. If I want a treat (which I hardly ever crave any more---really!) I mix up a bowl of fudge with cream cheese, cocoa, vanilla and a sugar substitute. I have recipes for reasonable facsimiles of Almond Joys, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Cheesecake. You can make tacos and roll up the meat and fixins in a large lettuce leaf instead of a shell. Do the same thing with tuna salad. You can make spicy chile (without the beans) You can make a rich Alfredo Sauce and serve it over fried chicken with mushrooms and onions. I make a wonderful casserole with broccoli, chicken chunks and a rich cream cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic and cream of chicken soup sauce over it. I could go on and on and on. Does this sound like a drudgery diet to you?!!! I don't eat this fancy every night but the recipes are out there to eat something special several nights a week. Many ladies that I know (from another site) have lost gobs of weight on this diet. My own loss has been a bit slower---21 pounds in 2 months---I have always been very resistant to weight loss. Even when I was eating 400-600 low-fat calories a day and walking 6 miles a day (for 4 months)I didn't lose hardly anything. BUT, I feel wonderful on this low-carb diet---better than I have in 20 years(except for the foot thing)---and the pounds are coming off no matter how slowly---and I'm not really feeling like I am having to sacrifice much. I can live with this! MUCH BETTER than the tablespoon of bran buds with 1/4 c skim milk I used to eat for breakfast, or the banana and diet Mt. Dew I used to eat for lunch or the plate of boiled cabbage I used to eat for dinner!!!

Lindy on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007115)

What about the high fat content of that diet?? isn't that bad for your heart? What about fibre? I don't know how a diet like that could possibly be healthy! although it sounds like a tempting way to lose weight....

Carol E. on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007127)

Sorry, but you need to know the facts. You cannot make informed decisions unless you read the studies. In the Eades book Protein Power it explains in great detail that the skyrocketing insulin levels from all those carbohydrates are the real culprit. Hyperinsulinemia is the root cause for hypertension, heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity and until the medical community takes it seriously, we will all continue to suffer from these aflictions. People on this diet, for example, have experienced dramatic decreases in blood pressure and cholesterol and triglyceride levels. And as far as the fiber is concerned---nobody said anything about not eating high fiber vegetables on this diet, and with all of the wheat bran and psyllium husk I add to everything, I probably get more fiber than you do. Alas, I'm not here to argue about this diet. You are free to eat what you want and so am I.

Lindy on 5/22/99 at 00:00 (007128)

Hey, don't take it as a personal attack. I wanted more facts and you gave me more. Thank you for your response.

Roberta on 5/23/99 at 00:00 (007151)

Hey kids, not to be grouchy or anything, but I am not so sure low carbs are a great idea. Not to knock anyone, I totally agree that lots of carbos are evil, but it really really depends what you eat. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains (not wheat) are awesome. Protein is great, but unless you're really active you don't need that much and it's really hard on your body to digest and get rid of the nasty bi products produced. I have no problem with lots of fat, but the type again is really important. I could go on all day, but I would just recommend that you keep reading.

Anyone who feels their diet is causing their symptoms (and I am working on a master's in nutrition so I tend to believe diet is the cause of most illnesses - particularly in the US) should focus on fruits and vegetables (organically grown) and cut out processed foods - all of it.

Okay, I could go on all day but I will stop there.

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007173)

Protein Power does NOT tell you to eat enormous amounts of protein (a common misconception among those who have NOT read the book) It has you figure out what your lean body mass is and then recommends an amount of protein per day that will sustain your lean muscle. This diet was highly recommended to my friend's brother by a heart surgeon. Fats (good fats) themselves are not bad, it is when they are combined with lots of carbohydrates that they cause problems. The diet recommends lots of high fiber, low-carb vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, summer squash, etc. and lesser amounts of sweeter and starchier vegetables such as carrots and peas. I eat a bit of low-carb (read that as less sweet) fruit every day. Many people are sensative to grains. I apparently am---it makes me fat!

I am convinced that obese people have something terribly wrong with the way their bodies handle carbohydrates. Maybe YOU can follow the current recommended 'food pyramid' and stay slim and healthy. I'm sure millions of you do. You are the ones out there enjoying life--going out to your favorite restaurants--flitting around in your cute size 6 dresses, etc. etc. But for millions of us out there something is terribly out-of-kilter with the way our bodies react to the very same foods. I'm sure that some eat way too much food---but I for one have spent 30 years watching my friends and family members eat two and three times what I do and staying slim and healthy---while I starve myself and stumble around too weak to do much of anything---hating myself and hating life. Well, I'm not going to take the low-fat high-carb hogwash anymore!!! I'm taking control and I'm going to do what works best for ME! Again, I say, I've lost 21 pounds, I feel wonderful, my blood pressure and cholesterol is down and I am on my way!!!

Carol E. on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007174)

Sorry, I was snippy. After struggling with this weight thing for so many years, I just get REALLY tired of all the negetive comments from other people who don't have a problem with weight. If I ate the recommended 1200-1800 calorie 'well balanced' diet that the 'experts' suggest---I would be a two ton blimp right now! OBVIOUSLY, something is not normal here. I firmly believe that many of us just don't process the carbohydrates like everyone else. Every time I try something other than the 'well balanced diet', well meaning friends tell me, 'That's really not very good for you! You shouldn't be doing that!' Well, %#$@&!, it's not good for me to be grossly overweight either! I confided in a friend last week that I was doing this diet and she said, 'Ohhhhh, that's not good for you!!! I have a friend that is doing that and she has lost 40 pounds and she doesn't look good!' I love this friend to pieces, but I wanted to slap her and say, 'It's really easy for you to criticize, as you stand there in your cute little size 6 dress. I suppose your friend looked better when she was suffering from high blood pressure, chronic arthritis, low self esteem, self loathing, and impending diabetes and heart disease. So what if her skin temporarily sags a bit because it is no longer puffed out there with great pillows of fat and pounds of water puffiness! The important thing is, does she feel good? Is she healthy? Is she more active? Is she happy with herself? Is she enjoying life again?'

Anyway, sorry I was short with you.

elaine on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007189)

Just to throw my two cents worth in... I too am following the atkins diet..quite successfully. AND my feet have greatly improved. I sometimes add carbs in... NOT sugar, as I am at my goal weight. I was so frightened I would gain back all the weight I lost while doing the aerobic thing (which gave me the pf to begin with). I had gained back about 15 pounds after stopping the exercise. I started with Atkins after hearing about it on here at Easter. I reached my goal of losing the 15 pounds a few weeks ago. I researched the many web sites to find the variety I needed. I highly recommend it. Also I found lots of support and ideas in the Atkins chat room. If anyone would like the like to that room, Email me..and I will respond with the link.
GOD BLESS
elaine

Carol E. on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007203)

Way to go, Elaine!!! Congrats on your loss! The greatest thing I learned on this diet is that if you can eliminate the hunger and weakness issues (that you are always dealing with on a regular 'low-fat high-carb' diet because of the whing-whangy insulin levels)---then you are more in tune with what amount of food your body REALLY needs and you don't crave things that it doesn't. 'What I'm going to eat' is no longer the predominant thing on my mind and I no longer have the cravings for something sweet all of the time.

Sounds like you have a recipe for success. Eat only good carbs--not empty ones! Good luck! (Thanks for the support!)

Shelby on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007208)

Carol....would love to know more about how this diet is helping you. I also have suffered thru all the comments that I would lose weight if I ate less or right or whatever. If you have time E mail me. Thanks

Carol E. on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007213)

Shelby, I'm going to sound really dumb here but where do I find your e-mail address?

I enter my address each time I post but it doesn't show up on the board---it must be somewhere because others have e-mailed me. I don't know where to locate that information.

Shelby on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007231)

Carol....I entered my email address but it didn't show up....
(email removed)