Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can you build back up your arches?

Posted by Dana on 5/24/99 at 00:00 (007196)

The Mephisto sandles I've been wearing for about 3 to 4 weeks have started to hurt my PF heel. I talked to a guy at the store were I bought the shoes (he also has PF) and he said to stick with them because they are starting to build back up my arch thats why they are starting to hurt. I have flat feet. He said it is normal to have them feel great for about 3 weeks and then they will start to hurt as my arch is building back up, so he told me to hang in there and they will get better. I told him my coushioned running shoes with gel heel cups feel better, but he said I need the harder sole of the sandles to build back up my foot. He said it's like sleeping on a soft mattress or a firm mattress, the firm mattress in better for your back. Has anyone heard of this theory. If it's true I'll hang in there with my sandles. He also said don't get the shots it can ruin the tissue in the heel and try a pair of Dansko clogs.

Re: Can you build back up your arches?

Mohez on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007212)

I don't know about rebuilding your arches, but I do know about not getting
the shots, he is right, the shots can do more harm than good. I am
speaking from experience. I had a cortisone shot in my right heel and
it got worse.

Dana on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007215)

I have my first appt. with the foot Fr. on Friday and I'm sure he is going to say have the shot and I have decided to wait on that. Even those who have had the shot and it has helped say it helped only for a little while. I want it gone, period! I still have many other things to try. I did try on a pair of Dansko clogs last night and I had no pain while I walked in them. Looks like that and night splints will be my next investment.

Mohez on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007212)

I don't know about rebuilding your arches, but I do know about not getting
the shots, he is right, the shots can do more harm than good. I am
speaking from experience. I had a cortisone shot in my right heel and
it got worse.

Dana on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007215)

I have my first appt. with the foot Fr. on Friday and I'm sure he is going to say have the shot and I have decided to wait on that. Even those who have had the shot and it has helped say it helped only for a little while. I want it gone, period! I still have many other things to try. I did try on a pair of Dansko clogs last night and I had no pain while I walked in them. Looks like that and night splints will be my next investment.