Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sticking to a healthy diet.

Posted by Gordon on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007202)

I'm not sure what makes someone stick to a diet but these are the things I think help.

1) You have to want it for yourself, not to please someone else.

2) When shopping for food, focus on all the healthy foods first. Then you'll be sick of shopping before you have time to pick up the candies (or your feet will say 'enough').

3)Prepare the healthy stuff ahead of time so that when you need a bite, you'll grab a carrot or piece of fruit. Fruit is far more satisfying to eat than goodies. If people are rewarded with pieces of fruit rather than candy when they are young they will prefer the fruit. I did this with my son since he was a baby and he always goes for the fruit over the goodies. You can re-train yourself the same way. You've been conditioned to go for the cookies or chocolate but actually you can be conditioned to replace those with grapes and pieces of apple or whatever.

4)Don't buy the bad stuff.

5)A diet that keeps you as trim as possible will make your feet the happiest. So... don't think of this as a diet but a new lifestyle that will suit you better.

6) Conditon youself with positive thinking by repeating the following:

I am responsible
I am responsible and
I like myself

When you take control of your diet, you feel good about taking control of a part of your life. In this same way you can take control of every aspect of your life.

My wife was an underpaid software engineer and is very shy, introverted, and was so afraid of failure that she couldn't interview for a better job.

Well... she listened to these positive thinking tapes and took charge of herself and within 3 months she found a job with a 42% increase in pay doing software research and development.

She is so proud of herself for doing this and so am I. It's just great. She has become a different person, trying all kinds of new things. She has inspired me to try harder to fix my problem.

You sound like a very positive and successful person yourself, and I'm sure that you won't have any problem doing exactly what you want or need to do once you set your mind to it.

I'll keep you posted.
Good luck

Re: Sticking to a healthy diet.

Alicia on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007211)

G: Thanks for the wise, positive words. I appreciate what you share with us on this board. In a world that seems to have gone mad lately, the support we can share here is priceless.

Re: Sticking to a healthy diet.

Alicia on 5/25/99 at 00:00 (007211)

G: Thanks for the wise, positive words. I appreciate what you share with us on this board. In a world that seems to have gone mad lately, the support we can share here is priceless.