Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed with plantar fascitis, help!!!!!

Posted by Karen on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007216)

I was just diagnosed yesterday with plantar fascitis. I had never heard of it before, and my doctor acted like it was no big deal and would go away in a short time. He didn't tell me to ice or not walk barefoot or any of the other things that I am reading about on this board. Basically, he told me to take Advil until the pain subsides and walk barefoot on the beach. After reading this board, I am afraid that I will injure my foot more if I don't start doing something now. I do not have a heel spur. My pain started a week ago and gradually became worse as I increased my activity to try and work out what I thought was a strain. I now can barely put any pressure at all on my inflicted foot without my arch (inner side) and front heel hurting in a debilitating way.

This morning I went to a Natural Foot store and purchased an orthotic arch support to wear in my shoes. I was told to work my way into them, by increasing the duration of my wear time about 1/2 hour per day until they felt comfortable. I am reading here that I should be wearing heel lifts and am wondering if I can/should wear them both at the same time. Will I receive any benefit from the orthotic arch support if I am also using the heel lifts? Will the orthotic arch support injure my foot more?

By the way, it was interesting that the woman who waited on me at the Shoe Store knew more about this condition than my doctor who is an orthopedic surgeon. She told me to ice my foot and take vitamin C.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Re: Just diagnosed with PF/surgery

Gina on 8/11/98 at 18:23 (001282)

I have been treated for PF for almost a year and a half. During that time one podiatrist flatly refused to do surgery because I can still walk. Last week, an orthopedic surgeon told me that he does not like to do any surgery for this problem and if it were his foot, he would endure a LOT of pain before allowing anyone to perform this procedure on him. Can't even find anyone in my city doing EPF; everyone I've talked to says it doesn't allow for enough visualization and has more severe complications if something goes wrong. If the doctors are this hesitant to operate, you might want to wait a while!

Re: Just diagnosed with PF/surgery

Rhonda on 8/12/98 at 20:57 (001292)

I've had severe PF for 2 1/2 years. Couldn't even put my foot down for the first 6 months. I went yesterday to an Orthopedic surgeon as a last resort. He said only 1% get the surgery and of those only 50% are successful (This is with the traditional incision done by a surgeon not an EPF done by a podiatrist). He said the lack of visibility during the EPF results in many failures and can compound the problem. Believe me, I know how frustrating and painful this condition is and I know there is nothing worse than being told to be patient. Please get a second opinion. I've never heard of a podiatrist being willing to do this EPF unless the patient has had the PF for at least 1 year and so severely that they can barely walk. Best of luck with your decision. Rhonda

Re: Just diagnosed with plantar fascitis, help!!!!!

Dana on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007223)

Hi Karen, I also have not had PF for very long, only about 1 1/2 months and I also had never heard of it before. I can only tell you it is a terrible thing. My doctor was also very casual about it. I finally got her to get me into see a foot Dr. this friday. I did get her to give me a foot xray and I do have a heel spur. I did go to a foot clinic and the Dr. there said no barefeet, stretch, wear arch supports and a night splint and to be very patient. It can take up to 3 to 6 months to get better if it does. I also take alot of Vit. C, MSN and Glucosamine, ice and wear Mephisto sandles or my running shoes with gel heal cups. I have also found out my next shoes will be the Mephisto sandles with a higher heel and a pair of Dansko clogs (I tried those on last night and felt no pain when I walked in them). So far nothing has helped and in fact my foot has gotton worse, but I have only started to treat it and I'm still very hopeful. I have to be, I have a very active 16 month little boy who I have to keep up with (isn't easy these days). Keep reading this board and you will learn alot of things. Good luck and remember to BABY that foot!

Mohez on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007293)

Welcome to the club, I would love to have my membership revoked. But
do not despair, you are very lucky you have discovered it at an early
stage. I have had PF for 5 years, but was diagnosed into year 2. My
advice is to ICE, ICE, ICE and then ICE, some more. IE. ice it every night.
Don't do anything to aggravate it, no walking barefoot, get custom made
orthotics from someone who has PF patients. Get the night splint or
Strassburg sock. Most importantly read Scott's home page and find out
what you are up against. You cannot kill the enemy if you don't know
about the enemy. Good luck

Sarah on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007352)

I was diagnosed in Fall of '98 and had been experiencing pain for about a year or so. It was intensified when I began walking two miles every morning and playing tennis three times a week. Listen to Mohez. My Dr. is supposed to be one of the top in the state of Ohio. He would not leave me on prescription Ibuprofen due to the fact that it can result in ulcers. Ice is the key and proper stretching too. I do toe lifts, and strech my foot in a circular motion (duplicating physical therapy which use a circular tilt board) severla times a day. I NEVER go barefoot. He has done the most coservative treatments. If I can keep the swelling and pain down this way he wants to avoid surgery at all costs. I haven't heard great results from the people I have met that have had the suregery. Take my adivce, take the time and shop for the Dr. who is top in this field in your area. If you have to get a cortisone shot do not get it directly in the heel. Have your dr. give it to you in the side because I have had them both ways and the sideways shot is much less painful.
Sarah

Robin on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007361)

The last line of your post asks for advice, and you clearly got a lot. The best thing I can suggest is that you read Scott's entire 18page document. It's cumbersome to read and not very inviting, but there is a wealth of information.

The second thing I can suggest is that you be fully prepared to make your own decisions. You will find very quickly that different treatments and remedies work for different people. The majority of people on this board will tell you to stretch stretch stretch, ice ice ice and wear soft comfy shoes with heel lifts.Stretching kills me, I ice very little, and I wear Birkenstocks exclusively. I don't take prescription meds; I take glucosamine, MSM and vitamin C.

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is -- don't walk barefoot on the beach or anywhere else. I don't usually say doctors are wrong, but yours is. The plantar fascia runs from your heel bone to your toe area. When you walk barefoot the fascia, which is simply tissue, gets more inflamed without proper support and if your foot is flexible, it also stretches out more than it should as your foot moves forward. People with plantar fasciitis need support for the plantar fascia. That's why people where Birks, Mephistos, orthotics, etc.

Andi K on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007364)

Sarah, can you please give me the name of your doctor? Thanks! Andi K.

Sarah on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007467)

Andi K.
My doctor's name is Leonard Janis and he is in Columbus, Ohio. He has two offices, but his big office is downtown with Grant Sports Med.. He and his partners treat athletes from around the United States. He used to be the physician editor (I think?) for Ohio Runner's Magazine or something like that. He travels the state giving lectures to medical students I'm told. When I mentioned his name to a friend who has plantar f. (and has had the surgery which wasn't so successful) she said that she has heard nothing but great things about him and that she wished she had gone to him. I was hesitant to give his name because my sister (who has her master's degree in hospital administration and seems to know about these things) said that the deal he provided me on my orthodics was considered insurance fraud because he is suppose to charge the same fee to all customers (even if insurance doesn't cover it) . I didn't want to get him in trouble, but I' will take the risk because I think he is excellent. Also, my sister has a friend who is a podiatrist in Cleveland and she talked me into my first cortisone injections which she gave straight into the bottom of my heel. They did help but OUCH! Dr. Janis was not too happy with me. He said giving a shot that way is archaic (sp?) and he gave me my second one in the side of my heel. Believe me it was far less painful. Finally, my physical therapist was named Marty. She was excellent (10 years experience). She gave me a lot of practical suggestions which have helped tremendously. I don't push my luck and have limited tennis to 2x or less a week. I will check this sight for further questions. Good luck and I hope that he is accessable for you.

Dana on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007223)

Hi Karen, I also have not had PF for very long, only about 1 1/2 months and I also had never heard of it before. I can only tell you it is a terrible thing. My doctor was also very casual about it. I finally got her to get me into see a foot Dr. this friday. I did get her to give me a foot xray and I do have a heel spur. I did go to a foot clinic and the Dr. there said no barefeet, stretch, wear arch supports and a night splint and to be very patient. It can take up to 3 to 6 months to get better if it does. I also take alot of Vit. C, MSN and Glucosamine, ice and wear Mephisto sandles or my running shoes with gel heal cups. I have also found out my next shoes will be the Mephisto sandles with a higher heel and a pair of Dansko clogs (I tried those on last night and felt no pain when I walked in them). So far nothing has helped and in fact my foot has gotton worse, but I have only started to treat it and I'm still very hopeful. I have to be, I have a very active 16 month little boy who I have to keep up with (isn't easy these days). Keep reading this board and you will learn alot of things. Good luck and remember to BABY that foot!

Mohez on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007293)

Welcome to the club, I would love to have my membership revoked. But
do not despair, you are very lucky you have discovered it at an early
stage. I have had PF for 5 years, but was diagnosed into year 2. My
advice is to ICE, ICE, ICE and then ICE, some more. IE. ice it every night.
Don't do anything to aggravate it, no walking barefoot, get custom made
orthotics from someone who has PF patients. Get the night splint or
Strassburg sock. Most importantly read Scott's home page and find out
what you are up against. You cannot kill the enemy if you don't know
about the enemy. Good luck

Sarah on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007352)

I was diagnosed in Fall of '98 and had been experiencing pain for about a year or so. It was intensified when I began walking two miles every morning and playing tennis three times a week. Listen to Mohez. My Dr. is supposed to be one of the top in the state of Ohio. He would not leave me on prescription Ibuprofen due to the fact that it can result in ulcers. Ice is the key and proper stretching too. I do toe lifts, and strech my foot in a circular motion (duplicating physical therapy which use a circular tilt board) severla times a day. I NEVER go barefoot. He has done the most coservative treatments. If I can keep the swelling and pain down this way he wants to avoid surgery at all costs. I haven't heard great results from the people I have met that have had the suregery. Take my adivce, take the time and shop for the Dr. who is top in this field in your area. If you have to get a cortisone shot do not get it directly in the heel. Have your dr. give it to you in the side because I have had them both ways and the sideways shot is much less painful.
Sarah

Robin on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007361)

The last line of your post asks for advice, and you clearly got a lot. The best thing I can suggest is that you read Scott's entire 18page document. It's cumbersome to read and not very inviting, but there is a wealth of information.

The second thing I can suggest is that you be fully prepared to make your own decisions. You will find very quickly that different treatments and remedies work for different people. The majority of people on this board will tell you to stretch stretch stretch, ice ice ice and wear soft comfy shoes with heel lifts.Stretching kills me, I ice very little, and I wear Birkenstocks exclusively. I don't take prescription meds; I take glucosamine, MSM and vitamin C.

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is -- don't walk barefoot on the beach or anywhere else. I don't usually say doctors are wrong, but yours is. The plantar fascia runs from your heel bone to your toe area. When you walk barefoot the fascia, which is simply tissue, gets more inflamed without proper support and if your foot is flexible, it also stretches out more than it should as your foot moves forward. People with plantar fasciitis need support for the plantar fascia. That's why people where Birks, Mephistos, orthotics, etc.

Andi K on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007364)

Sarah, can you please give me the name of your doctor? Thanks! Andi K.

Sarah on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007467)

Andi K.
My doctor's name is Leonard Janis and he is in Columbus, Ohio. He has two offices, but his big office is downtown with Grant Sports Med.. He and his partners treat athletes from around the United States. He used to be the physician editor (I think?) for Ohio Runner's Magazine or something like that. He travels the state giving lectures to medical students I'm told. When I mentioned his name to a friend who has plantar f. (and has had the surgery which wasn't so successful) she said that she has heard nothing but great things about him and that she wished she had gone to him. I was hesitant to give his name because my sister (who has her master's degree in hospital administration and seems to know about these things) said that the deal he provided me on my orthodics was considered insurance fraud because he is suppose to charge the same fee to all customers (even if insurance doesn't cover it) . I didn't want to get him in trouble, but I' will take the risk because I think he is excellent. Also, my sister has a friend who is a podiatrist in Cleveland and she talked me into my first cortisone injections which she gave straight into the bottom of my heel. They did help but OUCH! Dr. Janis was not too happy with me. He said giving a shot that way is archaic (sp?) and he gave me my second one in the side of my heel. Believe me it was far less painful. Finally, my physical therapist was named Marty. She was excellent (10 years experience). She gave me a lot of practical suggestions which have helped tremendously. I don't push my luck and have limited tennis to 2x or less a week. I will check this sight for further questions. Good luck and I hope that he is accessable for you.