Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there golf after heel spurs ?

Posted by Jody on 5/26/99 at 00:00 (007230)

Just wondering if there is anybody out there in 'net land' that knows of any brand of golf shoes that might ease the pain of heel spurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Is there golf after heel spurs ?

Brenda on 5/27/99 at 00:00 (007243)

Yes, Jody, there is golf after pf. Golf shoes (mine are Ectonic and Foot Joy)actually support the entire foot and lift the heel to take off the pressure. I use a heel pad as well as gentle taping. Also good socks (Thorlo makes a great golf sock with heel padding).

At first golf was a problem because I prefer to walk, but after about 6 months of riding, I am gradually increasing my walking - usually every other hole and sometimes (on a really good day) can walk nine (eighteen is not possible yet).

Don't push it - you have to start slow and build up. But golf is possible and still fun!

Good luck, B

alex on 5/27/99 at 00:00 (007258)

I play golf quite regularly following several months of bad pf pain. I live in Asia, where walking the course is the norm - many courses don't even have carts. Anyway I much prefer to walk with either a caddy (luxury) or a pull-cart. I have given up wearing golf shoes. I wear New Balance sneakers to play - they are so much more comfortable - - and have found no difference to my game. I'm nbot a great golfer (current handicap 21) but I do play with several people much better than I. My foot is usually somewhat sore after 18 holes, but perfectly manageable - I usually ice affter playing.

Good luck

Mohez on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007294)

This is the worst part of my PF. I love love love love this game and
because of PF I have to Casey Martin it all the time ( ride a cart ).I
hate riding, I used to be able to walk and only have to ice my heels.
but now I cannot. I have tried orthotics in my shoes, they help a little.
My shoes are Etonics and a pair of Nike. Soft spikes help. I have a question
does taping help relieve the pain, if so after taping, do you use an
orthotic with it? or a spenco liner or heel pad?

Brenda on 5/27/99 at 00:00 (007243)

Yes, Jody, there is golf after pf. Golf shoes (mine are Ectonic and Foot Joy)actually support the entire foot and lift the heel to take off the pressure. I use a heel pad as well as gentle taping. Also good socks (Thorlo makes a great golf sock with heel padding).

At first golf was a problem because I prefer to walk, but after about 6 months of riding, I am gradually increasing my walking - usually every other hole and sometimes (on a really good day) can walk nine (eighteen is not possible yet).

Don't push it - you have to start slow and build up. But golf is possible and still fun!

Good luck, B

alex on 5/27/99 at 00:00 (007258)

I play golf quite regularly following several months of bad pf pain. I live in Asia, where walking the course is the norm - many courses don't even have carts. Anyway I much prefer to walk with either a caddy (luxury) or a pull-cart. I have given up wearing golf shoes. I wear New Balance sneakers to play - they are so much more comfortable - - and have found no difference to my game. I'm nbot a great golfer (current handicap 21) but I do play with several people much better than I. My foot is usually somewhat sore after 18 holes, but perfectly manageable - I usually ice affter playing.

Good luck

Mohez on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007294)

This is the worst part of my PF. I love love love love this game and
because of PF I have to Casey Martin it all the time ( ride a cart ).I
hate riding, I used to be able to walk and only have to ice my heels.
but now I cannot. I have tried orthotics in my shoes, they help a little.
My shoes are Etonics and a pair of Nike. Soft spikes help. I have a question
does taping help relieve the pain, if so after taping, do you use an
orthotic with it? or a spenco liner or heel pad?