Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is all of this covered by insurance?

Posted by Karen on 5/28/99 at 00:00 (007302)

Are all of these things that we have to purchase (nightsplints, heel lifts, orthotics, berkenstocks, etc.) covered by health insurance?
I also just wanted to say that I really am glad that I found this board.
Although I have only had this infliction for about a week now, so much of what I have learned from all of you has helped me immensely. I am still in great pain, but I actually have had some painfree moments after icing, gentle stretching, etc. The Berkenstocks are a little bit uncomfortable, but I dare not walk barefoot anywhere now.
Thank you all.

Re: Is all of this covered by insurance?

Kris on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007304)

I have a PPO health plan thru my work. Very good insurance. Has so far paid 85% for 40 visits of P.T. , orthotics, night splints, cast, brace, all Dr. visits, etc. Check with your individual plan to see what they cover. Mine just needed a letter of medical necessity from my Dr. that those treatments and items were necessary for my condition. Good Luck.

Alison on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007312)

Insurance coverage varies. Mine won't pay for orthotics but will pay for surgery (go figure). Check your policey carefully, especially the fine print and ways that you can appeal the insuror's decision. Good luck !

Jodie on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007331)

If you have managed care and you have tried to take care of PF with other methods i.e. anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, oral steroids (predisone) and they have not been successful; all you should need is the referral from your PCP or from orthopaedic DR.
I know mine was covered completley. Call your insurance company and find out what documentation they would need to cover the orthotics.

Kris on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007304)

I have a PPO health plan thru my work. Very good insurance. Has so far paid 85% for 40 visits of P.T. , orthotics, night splints, cast, brace, all Dr. visits, etc. Check with your individual plan to see what they cover. Mine just needed a letter of medical necessity from my Dr. that those treatments and items were necessary for my condition. Good Luck.

Alison on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007312)

Insurance coverage varies. Mine won't pay for orthotics but will pay for surgery (go figure). Check your policey carefully, especially the fine print and ways that you can appeal the insuror's decision. Good luck !

Jodie on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007331)

If you have managed care and you have tried to take care of PF with other methods i.e. anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, oral steroids (predisone) and they have not been successful; all you should need is the referral from your PCP or from orthopaedic DR.
I know mine was covered completley. Call your insurance company and find out what documentation they would need to cover the orthotics.