Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bromelain

Posted by Judy on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007313)

Saw my Chiropractor and he recommended Bromelain three X/day @1000 milligrams /dose.

Is this alot for inflammation? Or is this just a 'jump start' amount until inflammation settles down?

Re: Bromelain

maureen on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007365)

According to the info. on the bottle I have, it rec.'s 400-600mg 3X day, so 1000mg is a little more than it is recommending. Scott have some info in his document about Bromelain, which I believe is best taken on an empty stomach. Good luck!

Robin on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003295)

Chris, I think it's Bromelain. I buy my glucosamine sulfate at a local health & vitamin store. The owner is a registered nutritionist of whatever official designation one should be. When I described PF to him as I was buying the GS, he suggested Bromelain. As a supplement it has been found to have fairly good anti-inflammatory properties and yet seems pretty safe. I think there's probably a pile of info on the 'Net if you want to go searching.

Diane R. on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003306)

Robin's correct it should be Bromelain. Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain. I have been taking it 2-3 times a day when I can remember to take it that often... and so far my shoulder is still very tender.. but it could be worse and has been so maybe it is helping and I would be in really tough shape without it?? Who knows. I will keep up the glucosamine and the bromelain for at least a month in combo. I may also start taking some Biotin (I think it's called) - these are supplements recommended by a 'naturalist' or is it 'naturopath' on a web site - I think from Prevention Magazine. Sometimes you can get far afield when surfing a topic. I started under torn rotar cuff and ended up with natural aids to reduce inflammation. Diane R.

Robin on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003310)

Diane -- are you having any gastrointestinal trouble with Bromelain? The nutritionist in the health food store told me that while it should cause considerably less digestive trouble then NSAIDs typically do, that it did have 'digestive properties to be aware of.' (huh?) I have a weak gut and a history of GI trouble so I avoided it. But -- I have a half dozen medical allergies that make it smart for me to avoid most NSAIDs -- which really leaves me with Tylenol. I am interested in a more natural anti-inflam if I can identify one that leaves my stomach alone. What's your take on the GI impact?

Diane R. on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003312)

Robin - Yes, I too, have the stomach sensitivity problems with many meds. So far I have been OK with the bromelain. I am very careful to take it with food (even though I had read on the net to be taken between meals). The bottle says with meals and I don't dare do it any other way.

I had a Dr many yrs ago who explained I should eat half my meal then take any medications, then finish the meal. He said whatever you do don't lay down for at least 1/2 hr after taking the pills. I have followed his advice and usually do well under this routine.

One type of over the counter medication I can take (with meals again) is Doan's Pills. My husband had a severe back ache which he refused to see a Dr. about and finally in desparation (or self preservation) got him some Doan's extra strength. It really did the trick for him. So when a recurring neck problem acted up recently for me - I tried some of his Doan's and guess what - it really helped and did not upset the stomach like alot of the NSAIDs do for me. So now I keep some in the cupboard and use it occasionally and am now trying it for the shoulder along with all these natural supplements. Sounds like a lot of pills from someone like me - who doesn't like to take anything!

P.S. Orthopedic had me on Relafin - Had to give up taking it - as it felt like it was just doing nothing for the pain anymore after a couple weeks. Have been on the Doan's less than a full week and it is easing the pain for now - better than the Relafin anyway.

Robin on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003369)

Diane -- thanks for the information. It sounds like either Bromelain or the Doans pills are a relatively safe and effective choice. I think I'll give one of them a go next time I decide to do battle with inflamation (which is about every third or fourth day). Thanks again.

maureen on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007365)

According to the info. on the bottle I have, it rec.'s 400-600mg 3X day, so 1000mg is a little more than it is recommending. Scott have some info in his document about Bromelain, which I believe is best taken on an empty stomach. Good luck!