Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

knot in arch...quite painfull...Plantar Fasciitis??

Posted by Issy on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007326)

I feel rather strange coming here to post (my first time on a message board)...but I came across this board looking for help with what type of problem I'm having with my left arch...I have a knot the size of a *large* Pea in the center of my arch...it seems to be getting larger...and can be quite painfull at times....Could this be 'Plantar Fasciitis' I have been reading about?...I keep reading where it says Plantar Fasciitis is associated with heal pain...I have none of this...only Pain in my *arch*...could this be one in the same? Should I seek out a doctor or try to fix this myself with proper Birkenstock Sandles...and the cream I read about...

Any information or tips will be helpfull...

I have good insurance so am not worried about that...I just don't like going to the doctor however!

Many Thanks...Issy...

Re: knot in arch...quite painfull...Plantar Fasciitis??

Jodie on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007332)

Your first step is to see your PCP is you're on managed care. They may order x-rays, prescribe meds, or refer you. From what I've experienced, the only time I've had any arch pain is while breaking in my orthotics. Usually PF is located in the heel, moreso on the inside section to the middle. The knot could be something in the tendon or the muscle...check it out before you invest in any treatments.

scott on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007341)

I received an email with a similar question (maybe it's the same person) but here is a copy of the response I sent:

'fibroma' mean tissue fibers growing in a knot. 'fibromatosis' is the condition of having a fibroma or more than one fibroma in more than one place in the body. It might be possible to call it a tumor, but I'm not sure of the differences, if there are any. If it is definately a knot that is not the result of a previous injury, then surgery may be the best and reasonably safe option. If it is growing, surgery the sooner the better before it takes over more of the heel area. Massaging it vigorously and hard may help break it up and allow it to heal better as the only option to surgery. Follow with ice. If there is the possibility it is cancerous, do not do the massage under any circumstances, definately get the surgery, and follow with ice and 10 or more grams vitamin C the day of surgery and the entire week after surgery. If it turns out to be cancer, spread out over each day 10 grams of C or more for the rest of your life, among other anti-cancer safe pills such as selenium and vitamin E. Actually, at least 1 gram of vitamin C with each meal is what everyone should do.

Re: knot in arch...Thank you both...

Issy on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007345)

Thank you both for answering me....Scott it was not me who emailed you about this problem...

The knot is in the center of my arch...no where near my heal...and yes...it has grown some...Seeing the sketch of the foot on your link above...it does appear that the knot is on that part outlined...where you are pointing out the Plantar Fasciitis at the heal...I can feel the muscle or what ever it is in my arch..and the knot sits on this...you can't see the knot as it is under the skin...but you sure can feel it...

You have scared me enough to seek out a doctor on Tuesday...I will be in touch with this bb as to what it is after finding out...We can all learn from each other...

Thank you for having this board...when I have more time...I shall do more reading on here...

Issy (Florida)

Alex on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007661)

Issy,

Have not been here since I posted in early May/late April. Had same symptoms. Fibroma in midarch on left foot. Detected 5+ years ago; advised to seek doctors advice if it ever grew or became painful.

IN recent months, growth of fibroma and occasional pain along with knee pain (had knee surgery 3 yrs ago)led me to Orthopaedist. Two options given..
1. Wait 3-6 months with warning that surgery more problematic if growth continues

2. Have convention surgery. 3 to 5 days out of work (I have desk job) and 3-4 weeks non-weight bearing.

I had surgery, believing it was a standard procedure and a preventative measure to protect the left knee.

I woke post op with doctor informing me that there were complications and I had lost the entire medial PF along with attending nerve. I am 7 weeks post op have had poor healing, a cast was put on for 2 weeks and the wound is still draining. I have been out of work all this time as the pain is unbearable when foot is not elevated. The bottom of left toe and ball of foot are void of feeling as nerve was removed, I continue to have pain many times more intense than pre-surgery, including stabbing in big toe and along the ~ 6' incision that was I was led to believe was to be 1 to 1 1/2'.

Needless to say the mental anguish is at times intolerable. I believe I have become 'clinically depressed', and NO .. I do not apologize for posting my experience. I only wish I had found this web site before I had made my decision based on the doctors 2 choices.

Jodie on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007332)

Your first step is to see your PCP is you're on managed care. They may order x-rays, prescribe meds, or refer you. From what I've experienced, the only time I've had any arch pain is while breaking in my orthotics. Usually PF is located in the heel, moreso on the inside section to the middle. The knot could be something in the tendon or the muscle...check it out before you invest in any treatments.

scott on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007341)

I received an email with a similar question (maybe it's the same person) but here is a copy of the response I sent:

'fibroma' mean tissue fibers growing in a knot. 'fibromatosis' is the condition of having a fibroma or more than one fibroma in more than one place in the body. It might be possible to call it a tumor, but I'm not sure of the differences, if there are any. If it is definately a knot that is not the result of a previous injury, then surgery may be the best and reasonably safe option. If it is growing, surgery the sooner the better before it takes over more of the heel area. Massaging it vigorously and hard may help break it up and allow it to heal better as the only option to surgery. Follow with ice. If there is the possibility it is cancerous, do not do the massage under any circumstances, definately get the surgery, and follow with ice and 10 or more grams vitamin C the day of surgery and the entire week after surgery. If it turns out to be cancer, spread out over each day 10 grams of C or more for the rest of your life, among other anti-cancer safe pills such as selenium and vitamin E. Actually, at least 1 gram of vitamin C with each meal is what everyone should do.

Re: knot in arch...Thank you both...

Issy on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007345)

Thank you both for answering me....Scott it was not me who emailed you about this problem...

The knot is in the center of my arch...no where near my heal...and yes...it has grown some...Seeing the sketch of the foot on your link above...it does appear that the knot is on that part outlined...where you are pointing out the Plantar Fasciitis at the heal...I can feel the muscle or what ever it is in my arch..and the knot sits on this...you can't see the knot as it is under the skin...but you sure can feel it...

You have scared me enough to seek out a doctor on Tuesday...I will be in touch with this bb as to what it is after finding out...We can all learn from each other...

Thank you for having this board...when I have more time...I shall do more reading on here...

Issy (Florida)

Alex on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007661)

Issy,

Have not been here since I posted in early May/late April. Had same symptoms. Fibroma in midarch on left foot. Detected 5+ years ago; advised to seek doctors advice if it ever grew or became painful.

IN recent months, growth of fibroma and occasional pain along with knee pain (had knee surgery 3 yrs ago)led me to Orthopaedist. Two options given..
1. Wait 3-6 months with warning that surgery more problematic if growth continues

2. Have convention surgery. 3 to 5 days out of work (I have desk job) and 3-4 weeks non-weight bearing.

I had surgery, believing it was a standard procedure and a preventative measure to protect the left knee.

I woke post op with doctor informing me that there were complications and I had lost the entire medial PF along with attending nerve. I am 7 weeks post op have had poor healing, a cast was put on for 2 weeks and the wound is still draining. I have been out of work all this time as the pain is unbearable when foot is not elevated. The bottom of left toe and ball of foot are void of feeling as nerve was removed, I continue to have pain many times more intense than pre-surgery, including stabbing in big toe and along the ~ 6' incision that was I was led to believe was to be 1 to 1 1/2'.

Needless to say the mental anguish is at times intolerable. I believe I have become 'clinically depressed', and NO .. I do not apologize for posting my experience. I only wish I had found this web site before I had made my decision based on the doctors 2 choices.