Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Only one body

Posted by Roberta on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007334)

I have been reading with interest the discussion about various medicines and low carb diets. People have mentionned the effects of various medicines on your kidneys and liver. Scott mentionned the low carb diet is fine if you don't have kidney problems and that you can make up the fruits and vegetables after you lose weight. I really don't want to get into serious debate about these points - last time I debated the low carb thing I got myself in trouble. But I will mention that you only have one body and nature doesn't produce much excess. Every part of your body is vitally important for your survival and wellbeing. Most of us reading these messages have something very wrong in our bodies. Sure it is a physical problem, but everything in your body is connected. You are much less likely to have a physical problem - particularly one that doesn't heal quickly - if your internal organs are strong and healthy.

In our society we are bombarded daily by a huge number of toxins. I believe this has a huge impact on our overall health. Many of these toxins you have no control over, but you can control what you put into your body. I would simply recomend becoming educated about what it is you are ingesting. If you want to eat a high protein diet learn about how your body digests proteins and carbs. Learn about the pH levels of your body and how they change with various types of food. Even more importantly learn about the protein you are eating. I have no problem with meat in general, but the meat produced in the country has some nasty things in it. If you want to take a medicine learn about its effects and side effects - it might even be helpful to learn say how your neural system works and how easily it is for drugs to have an impact on this (your doctor will hate you but at least you will have knowledge about what your body is doing and you will have more control.) Or learn what you liver does. It is an absolutely amazing organ. Learn what your body does with various vitamins and minerals, and the effects of not getting those through your food.

I am 34 years old and years of not being so nice to my body - too much excercise without proper stretching etc, too much sugar, flour products not enough vegetables etc - are starting to show. I have decided it is very important that I make my body strong now - inside and out - because if I am having this many problems at 34, what will I feel like by 40 or 50. I have decided that being strong and healthy and pain free needs to be by primary goal.

Re: Only one body

Roberta on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007350)

I agree with what you say about being educated about what goes into your body, but I do feel everyone needs to find the right path for themselves and follow it. If one can loose weight on a high protein diet then it was the right path for them or if one looses weight on a low fat diet then it was right for them. I tried the low fat path and for me it didn't work for me. Carbs and me just don't mix and so now I will try the high protein path. I won't give up all fruits and vegetables, but I will limit them. My father rode his bike at least 25 to 50 miles every day, ate a healthy low fat diet and looked like the picture of health until just two months before he died of cancer. I guess my point is who really knows what works for our body and what doesn't. We all want a long and healthy life, but none of us knows what really works in the end. I guess it's just up to G-d.

Re: Only one body

Roberta on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007350)

I agree with what you say about being educated about what goes into your body, but I do feel everyone needs to find the right path for themselves and follow it. If one can loose weight on a high protein diet then it was the right path for them or if one looses weight on a low fat diet then it was right for them. I tried the low fat path and for me it didn't work for me. Carbs and me just don't mix and so now I will try the high protein path. I won't give up all fruits and vegetables, but I will limit them. My father rode his bike at least 25 to 50 miles every day, ate a healthy low fat diet and looked like the picture of health until just two months before he died of cancer. I guess my point is who really knows what works for our body and what doesn't. We all want a long and healthy life, but none of us knows what really works in the end. I guess it's just up to G-d.